Dual Opposed Subwoofer Outdoor SPL Compensation

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
Not soon after I mentioned that I would be testing the Epik Empire I received a pm from Chad the founder of Epik wishing to speak with me about what would be taking place. He was justifiably concerned about the Empire getting a fair shake in the tests due to the dual opposed design of the subwoofer. I already had some concerns about this myself and had been talking with some subwoofer designers about how to handle it.

Let me try to explain the issue as simply as possible in a general manner. A dual opposed subwoofer will always have one or both of the drivers further away from the microphone than a more standard configuration subwoofer, which usually has a single driver and maybe a port or 2 radiating from a single surface that can be aimed directly at the microphone. If you take 2 drivers and mount both on a single face of the subwoofer you can then aim that face at the microphone and the drivers end up roughly 2 meters (In our case) away from the microphone. Now take the same 2 drivers and place one of them facing the other direction on the back of the enclosure and some distance behind the other. Its contribution at the microphone will be diminished. Even though you have the same 2 drivers, amplifier, and enclosure volume and enclosure alignment, the SPL delivered to the single measurement point will be less than the subwoofer that is allowed to aim all or at least most of its radiation at the microphone with a minimum distance between. If you have both drivers side firing so that they are equidistant from the microphone you will have the same issue still with advantage maintained by the subwoofer that can aim most of its radiation directly at the microphone. Now this holds true, if you take a single point measurement. However if you take many measurements at various points around the subwoofer and average the results, they will even back out as the dual opposed subwoofer will have more uniform 360deg power distribution. Unfortunately it is not very practical to do a full polar response work up on every subwoofer tested. That would be ideal but is a lot of additional work. Any subwoofer with radiation from multiple faces is subject to this issue. However ports or passive radiators contribute most of their output over a fairly narrow range, while a dual opposed sub has the output from both radiators covering the entire useful range of the device, so this is a much larger concern in that case.

After many emails back and forth with various people I decided on a course of action to investigate the issue and if need be develop a compensation factor for the Empire and other dual opposed subwoofers. What followed was a large amount of work that eventually lead to me becoming convinced of the necessity of and the development of a compensation file for the Empire and any other future dual opposed subwoofers in order for it to get a fair shake in the maximum output testing.

What was finally decided upon was to simply take the usual 2 meter outdoor ground plane response measurement of a subwoofer with a simple front firing configuration and take some measurements with the subwoofer in different orientations and to use that to gauge how much spl is being lost at the microphone by the dual opposed subwoofer by having one or more drivers not facing the microphone position and subsequently from there to develop a sort of compensation file with the data. It would be best to have a subwoofer of the same size and shape for this purpose. Fortunately the Rythmik FV15-HP that was on hand is very close to the same size and shape as the Empire and uses a 15” driver. Additionally an Elemental Designs A7S-450 was also used for redundancy and to check for basic agreement in the results.

The results for the orientation tests are below. You can see that from turning either the Rythmik or ED subs 90 degrees from the microphone causes a rather substantial drop in recorded output. These are similar sized enclosures and drivers to what is in the Empire. The premise is that this is the amount of output loss at the microphone position experienced by the Empire when its drivers are both side firing versus what it would be if both could be aimed at the microphone. Also notice how the Empire response changes little with either orientation. This confirms it’s more uniform output coverage.

Note in the below graph that the drop off in spl seen at 90 degrees with both the ED and Rythmik are within a db of each other throughout the entire range of concern. This is pretty good agreement given that both are dissimilar designs and of different shape and size. I averaged the 2 and applied some smoothing to come up with the red trace which would be the generic outdoor compensation for a dual opposed sub of the Empire’s size.

The above is a simple thing to do, but initially it did not feel right to me to add compensation to a dual opposed subwoofer. I reasoned that when you sit and listen to a subwoofer that you are at a single point in space from it (Or 2 if you count each ear as a different position.) and why should you not optimize the unit under use for that one position? If you place a subwoofer in an empty parking lot, or in a room, you typically have a listening position somewhere and also a position where the subwoofer will be placed. You may even have a couple of options for subwoofer placement. What you would not do typically is use one subwoofer, switch it out for another and proceed to move the listening position closer to it because the radiators on the new one are placed on the enclosure such that they are farther away. Most people will have the available placement locations in their room and their listening position locked in. Most would simply place the subwoofer in a spot that is available for it and utilize it there. Would you move the subwoofer closer or move the couch closer to one sub versus another, because of the design? Perhaps one might because of large size or shape differences, but not if both are the typical 20” black cube. No matter how you place yourself or a microphone relative to a dual opposed subwoofer at a fixed distance outdoors away from boundaries, you will not be able to get an output level as high as if the 2 drivers of the same subwoofer were both facing directly at you or the microphone. So why should a dual opposed subwoofer receive compensation? Because of the boundaries and objects in a typical room. If a dual opposed subwoofer were to somehow translate its less focused output from separated radiation points into more even room coverage or to leverage better room gain to the listening positions such that it recovers the output lost to a single point outdoor or anechoic measurement, then it would make sense to add compensation. If it does not translate in room, it would not make sense to add it in my opinion.

At this point I decided to do some extra tests to see how the Empire reacted when placed in room, versus outdoors away from boundaries and compare that to a similarly sized and shaped front firing subwoofer, the Rythmik again, measured in the same way. I recorded the drive level used during the outdoor orientation tests of the subwoofers and used this exact same drive level in room. This would allow me to know how much effect the room was having on the 2 subwoofers response and be able to compare them. I used an available back corner in a room of a little over 4000cu ft to place the subwoofers. I decided to use 3 different microphone positions that were well spaced around the room to measure from. They varied from about 4 to 6 meters from the subwoofer placement. The subwoofers then had their response measured in the corner of placement at every 45 degree point of rotation. This results in 8 measurements for the front firing Rythmik and 4 for the Empire since its dual opposed design makes 4 of the orientations redundant. This was repeated for each sub at each of the 3 microphone positions. The results of those measurements are below. You can immediately notice that the Empire has a very uniform output at all 3 listening positions regardless of its own orientation. The Rythmik has much larger variations in response depending upon its orientation.

FV15HP room orientation results

Empire room orientation results

Last edited:
Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
Continued...

Continued...

The measurement results for the various orientations at each microphone location were then all averaged and compared to the base line outdoor measurement to determine the average amount of gain or effect that the room placement was enacting on the subwoofers response. That is composed of 24 measurements for the Rythmik and the 12 needed for the Empire.

Rythmik FV15HP total average room gain

Epik Empire total average room gain

As can be seen below the Empire does indeed receive a larger amount of average boost than the front firing Rythmik from the in room placement.

Here in the graph below is the extra in room boost that the Empire received shown compared with the spl loss measured during the outdoor orientation test using the ED and Rythmik subwoofers. Notice how similar in shape and magnitude they are. There is less than a 1.5db difference between the 2 at any frequency from 10-125hz. This convinced me of the need to provide a compensation for the Empire’s maximum output spl tests to keep the comparison to other subs relative, since the in room results indicated that the Empire’s outdoor spl measurements would indeed be slightly under representative. In the end I decided to average the outdoor orientation spl loss with the indoor room gain results to split the difference. That seemed like a good compromise.

That is how and why the Empire / dual opposed subwoofer compensation for the outdoor maximum spl tests was arrived at. This is how further tests of this type of subwoofer will be approached going forward. It is certainly not perfect, but I feel that it is a reasonable and practical approach to the matter. Hopefully there will not be too many more subwoofers of this particular configuration tested. :D

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
The above is a short article/story that I did for Data-Bass that looks at one of the difficulties of testing a dual opposed subwoofers maximum output in an outdoor GP setting in a fair and comparable manner. I am posting it here since this also pertains to future sub tests for Audioholics, should this type of subwoofer come across the test bench again.

Man... I had to hack this up pretty good due to the forum post and image size limits. :D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Someone needs to give you however much money you need to turn commercial subwoofer testing into a full-time job.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Somewhere, I hear a faint whisper...

submersivvveee

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Somewhere, I hear a faint whisper...

submersivvveee

I was going to send my Submersive down to Ricci to get tested before I sold it, but it got snatched up before that became possible..

Nice Work Josh.... thanks for posting...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Man... I had to hack this up pretty good due to the forum post and image size limits. :D
Dude, You have your own site. Just put the images there and put tags to display them. It's easier than uploading the images and doesn't have limits.

p.s: TYVM for great research work !

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
Dude, You have your own site. Just put the images there and put tags to display them. It's easier than uploading the images and doesn't have limits.

p.s: TYVM for great research work ![/QUOTE]

I know... I know... From what I here the site interface overhaul is almost done.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis