Dual Opposed Prototype

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just be safe. Well, safer than Klaus, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Let me tell you, forklifts can be super nerve racking because of how easily things can go wrong. I was lifting 10 foot long square and round bars of steel between 1 and 10" diameter, got pretty scary at times. Running around with boxes though is lots of fun.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Believe me, I wish one of those forklifts could help me out :D

That is probably one of the best training videos I've ever seen, and if it's not a training video it should be.

Heavy machinery is fun to drive. Especially if you've had zero training, like me. Nothing like a summer job handing over the keys to forklifts, skidsteers, rollers, etc to kids with no formal or really informal training.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The tool you need is what we referred to a "cherry picker" when I was kid:

Super price on OTC Tools 2002 at ToolTopia.com

Add some woven nylon belts to wrap the corners of that monster sub, a big hook, and you're in business. Unless you need to move it up or down stairs, at which point I recommend professional movers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Come to think of it, that won't work. They can't lift from the ground.
Wouldn't it? Loop a pair of those nylon belts under it, like those forearm forklifts, sneak some chain through the end loops and attach to the hook on the crane and pump the handle until it's up in the air.

This is getting a little elaborate from screwing some wheels on the bottom :D

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think this may be a deliberate attack from a 3rd party that is taking advantage of our site popularity to drive up their own SEO.
ALEX! I didn't know you built this sub just to attack our website to drive up your SEO!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan

That's the funniest safety video I've ever seen. Pretty gruesome though.

One of my first jobs was working at a tile and carpet warehouse. We were driving forklifts with nothing more than on the job training. I remember lifting a pallet of tile that was up against the warehouse wall. Unbeknownst to me I had stabbed the forks into the wall so that when I lifted the pallet I left 2 long gouges going up the wall! I immediately set the pallet back down and drove away.

"Who scraped up the wall?"

"I dunno."

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just a note that the little foam pieces that are on there were not sufficient even for the Empire (~160lbs?) and will be completely crushed by your sub :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just a note that the little foam pieces that are on there were not sufficient even for the Empire (~160lbs?) and will be completely crushed by your sub :eek:
Looks like I'll have to cut up those sorbothane pads I bought for it. They should work perfectly though. Good to know.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
i'm so cheap (leave it alone people:D)...I use a towel to drag the PB12+ around.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I had some time today and I thought I'd do a little test. It's not really valid for anyone else except me, but maybe it will give you guys an idea of what this thing can do.

Test Conditions: Sub is being run by an AB International 1100A, which pushes 800W/ch @ 4ohms. One channel per driver, gain knobs all the way up. The Sub was 3.4 meters away with one driver facing me and the other facing away from me (this was done from the LP). Signal was being run, from the computer > AVR > miniDSP > Amp. I did this because I wanted to know what I was getting out of this thing, I can run this test again bypassing all DSP if anybody really wanted me to. I used REW to run a CEDIA burst tone at the frequencies listed on data-bass, up to 125Hz. Sub was leveled to 81db using the channel level on the AVR and then the AVR volume was set to 0.0. The sub channel level was set to +2.5 on the AVR. This was the safest level I could go to without destroying the amplifier. Measured using a Galaxy CM-140

Hz | db
10 | 96.7
12.5 | 96.9
16 | 97.1
20 | 102.3
25 | 103
31.5 | 102.8
40 | 107.8
50 | 109
63 | 103
80 | 95.1
100 | 103.6
125 | 104.6

Without DSP it would definitely change things, as would a free field test, as would give these drivers the proper amount of power (~4000 watts each). All in all I'm pretty happy with it, especially since it's not the only subwoofer I'm running.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I had some time today and I thought I'd do a little test. It's not really valid for anyone else except me, but maybe it will give you guys an idea of what this thing can do.

Test Conditions: Sub is being run by an AB International 1100A, which pushes 800W/ch @ 4ohms. One channel per driver, gain knobs all the way up. The Sub was 3.4 meters away with one driver facing me and the other facing away from me (this was done from the LP). Signal was being run, from the computer > AVR > miniDSP > Amp. I did this because I wanted to know what I was getting out of this thing, I can run this test again bypassing all DSP if anybody really wanted me to. I used REW to run a CEDIA burst tone at the frequencies listed on data-bass, up to 125Hz. Sub was leveled to 81db using the channel level on the AVR and then the AVR volume was set to 0.0. The sub channel level was set to +2.5 on the AVR. This was the safest level I could go to without destroying the amplifier. Measured using a Galaxy CM-140

Hz | db
10 | 96.7
12.5 | 96.9
16 | 97.1
20 | 102.3
25 | 103
31.5 | 102.8
40 | 107.8
50 | 109
63 | 103
80 | 95.1
100 | 103.6
125 | 104.6

Without DSP it would definitely change things, as would a free field test, as would give these drivers the proper amount of power (~4000 watts each). All in all I'm pretty happy with it, especially since it's not the only subwoofer I'm running.
Looks like you have solid performance to 20 Hz which is what counts.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like you have solid performance to 20 Hz which is what counts.

It definitely does. I have clipped the amp once or twice so I definitely would like a little more headroom. Soon enough I suppose.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis