Dual Opposed Prototype

annunaki

annunaki

Great progress here!! Nice work too! Looks like a fair bit of MDF dust in your last photos...

What type of finish do yiu have planned for the enclosure?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No plans for this enclosure. I'm still hoping to get one CNC machined in baltic birch, which I would veneer. I have my other sub that I built awhile back that I had been having problems with (the driver), but now that it is repaired and I've tested it for a couple weeks I think it's safe to finish it. I'll probably put the dual opposed in to see how it performs and move the other one down to the work area to smooth out and veneer in maple.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Testing, testing, 1 2 3. Well so far I found a tiny leak. Not sure how that happened, but not a big deal either, it's really small. In other news, this thing is definitely at or damn near 300lbs. I also found out that using the AB 800.2 is like trying to power a C5 with the engine from the Toyota Prius. It went directly into clipping at -15 during Real Steel. Flight of the Phoenix -20 was about as high as I dared to go. This thing needs 2400 watts per driver minimum to avoid clipping it would seem. I actually turned off two of the other subs because they were squealing for mercy, and I mean squealing. The Outlaw was making awful port noise and the Source Tech with passive radiator was not happy. Possibly bottoming out. The dual opposed and the the large sealed with the Pierce Audio driver weren't even breaking a sweat, and as far as I can tell the other Source Tech sub was trying to keep up without anything bad happening.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
After some more help from the ever patient Dr. Mark with the EQ and a little room correction courtesy of REW and MiniDSP this thing sounds amazing. The bass is deep and tight, but obviously needing more power. I don't think I'll need the 4000 watts per driver for my space, but I'm definitely looking into getting somewhere in the 1500-2000 per driver area. So now both DIY subs I built are functioning like a dream and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

At this point I need to give the speaker projects a break and turn to some house projects:building a new computer desk, adding a walk in closet to the bedroom, and possibly a new front deck type entrance (not nearly as big as it sounds). In the meantime I'll be thinking about how I want to finish them. I'm thinking about veneering one and HVLP painting the other so that I can get a little experience in both methods.

The best part is being able to check off two projects from the list. Now I'm slowly but surely moving towards building a pair of speakers, which should present new challenges, but more fun.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Glad you're enjoying the results! You do realize that you built that thing in record time for an audioholics DIY and it looks fantastic.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, it didn't feel like record time towards the end there. I don't really mind how they look and in dimmer light, they don't look extremely different from the maple everything else. Then again it's not my opinion that matters........:rolleyes: :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
After some more help from the ever patient Dr. Mark with the EQ and a little room correction courtesy of REW and MiniDSP this thing sounds amazing. The bass is deep and tight, but obviously needing more power. I don't think I'll need the 4000 watts per driver for my space, but I'm definitely looking into getting somewhere in the 1500-2000 per driver area. So now both DIY subs I built are functioning like a dream and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

At this point I need to give the speaker projects a break and turn to some house projects:building a new computer desk, adding a walk in closet to the bedroom, and possibly a new front deck type entrance (not nearly as big as it sounds). In the meantime I'll be thinking about how I want to finish them. I'm thinking about veneering one and HVLP painting the other so that I can get a little experience in both methods.

The best part is being able to check off two projects from the list. Now I'm slowly but surely moving towards building a pair of speakers, which should present new challenges, but more fun.
Nice work, glad you are pleased with it. I warned you it would be a power pig. That is a brute force design if ever there was one!

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
This has been a very interesting and uplifting post. I really have enjoyed it and hope that now you have built a proper speaker for your Ipod, you can work on one for your home system!!! I am very impressed with what you folks have accomplished and will stay for the next build. Thank you. Don

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Nice work, glad you are pleased with it. I warned you it would be a power pig. That is a brute force design if ever there was one!
It certainly is! Now that I've tried it the brute force way, the next sub will definitely be a Dr. Mark way.

Took a few measurements after I ran the REW RC. Here's what it looks like from the 3 seats on the couch from 15hz to 80hz, which is at or above the crossover to my speakers.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Great job, Alex! Ahem, I mean, "YAA." :D I'm impressed by all of you that make your own gear. That said, I'll go with <100lb Ultras. :) Of course, I would LOVE to hear that bad boy.

I don't really mind how they look and in dimmer light, they don't look extremely different from...
You're starting to sound like your namesake. :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, what can I say.....I'm a little guy so I need the biggest heaviest gear :p I'll have to airlift it to you sometime for a professional review :D

What can I say, us Alex's have to stick together :)

Great job, Alex! Ahem, I mean, "YAA." :D I'm impressed by all of you that make your own gear. That said, I'll go with <100lb Ultras. :) Of course, I would LOVE to hear that bad boy.

You're starting to sound like your namesake. :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds great - I have some 50 amp breakers. I'll just plug it in to where my stove would go. :D
With all the places that deliver, who needs a stove? I'll even install some casters on the bottom so it's easy to move. Actually I was thinking of doing that anyways since there is no way to move this thing as is.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
With all the places that deliver, who needs a stove?
You make a compelling point. :)

I'll even install some casters on the bottom so it's easy to move. Actually I was thinking of doing that anyways since there is no way to move this thing as is.
You might also try some furniture sliders. I put them under the SB13-Ultra when I was moving it around, and it was great on carpet.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
There be my problem <to be said in a pirate voice. 3/4's of the living room is carpet so naturally the only spots left for this thing are on the slate. Right now it's sitting on Sorbothane pads I bought from Amazon, but those things don't slide. If I ever want to be able to move this thing it looks like it's going to need wheels of some sort.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis