DTV: Largest HD upgrade in TV history

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P4360044

I just wanted to pass along the word that DTV forums have been really buzzing lately about their new HD upgrades. DTV has finally put up a link to verify some of the new HD-programming that will very soon become a reality.

By the end of 2007, DTV will have 100 HD channels, and several are expected to come online within the next few weeks!!!!!!

This will be the largest high definition expansion in TV history(by any company)!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaah yes, it's a great day indeed...... to be a Direct TV customer.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, mine comes tomorrow with 5 local channels and 15 various channels and a promise;) that I will have 100 more by the end of this month.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P4360044

I just wanted to pass along the word that DTV forums have been really buzzing lately about their new HD upgrades. DTV has finally put up a link to verify some of the new HD-programming that will very soon become a reality.

By the end of 2007, DTV will have 100 HD channels, and several are expected to come online within the next few weeks!!!!!!

This will be the largest high definition expansion in TV history(by any company)!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaah yes, it's a great day indeed...... to be a Direct TV customer.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Any info on how may of the 100 HD channels are going to be subscription or pay per view.

Comcast just introduced 2 channels that show HD moves, but they are pay per view, which defeats the benefit as far as I am concerned.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I miss my DirecTV HD but I never watched many of the channels anyway, now I just get all my tv from over the air. I'm very interested in seeing what all HD channels you won't have to pay extra to get.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am supposed to get 45 with my package.

Any info on how may of the 100 HD channels are going to be subscription or pay per view.

Comcast just introduced 2 channels that show HD moves, but they are pay per view, which defeats the benefit as far as I am concerned.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I miss my DirecTV HD but I never watched many of the channels anyway, now I just get all my tv from over the air. I'm very interested in seeing what all HD channels you won't have to pay extra to get.
Same here. I had Digital Cable, but I never watched most of the time. So many of the so-called HDTV don't look as good as Blu-ray or HD DVD anyway.
I mean even NFL & College Football on broadcast (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX) HDTV video quality looks about the same as the SD DVD of HBO's ROME series when upscale to 1080i. Well, maybe a little better, but not a huge leap. With free HDTV, I have 4 PBS HD channels instead of 1 with the paid digital HD cable.

I guess if you watch TVs a lot instead of blu-ray or hd dvd, then it will be worth it.

B

Buckeye_Nut

If you click the above link, you'll see the kind of channels I am talking about. Essentially.......they're gradually converting all expanded cable channels to HD.

You'll soon be able to watch all of your favorite channels (MTV, VH1, NFL network, Golf channel, cnn, speed channel, History channel, NBA channel, discovery channel, USA network, History channel...etc, etc, etc) in high definition.

It wont be long, and low definition of any kind will become a distant memory. The $10/month TEN channel HD package was only created out of necessity because nothing else was available. That little package was created to expedite the sale of HDTVs than it was anything else because many people didn't even have access to local HD local channel programming only a short few years ago.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Yep, mine comes tomorrow with 5 local channels and 15 various channels and a promise;) that I will have 100 more by the end of this month.
Local channel coverage is pretty much old news in most markets. I guess it depends on where you live on whether or not that's something new.

I don't think they're going to have 100 by the end of the month.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I find it difficult to watch the NFL games on BR or HD DVD...;)

Same here. I had Digital Cable, but I never watched most of the time. So many of the so-called HDTV don't look as good as Blu-ray or HD DVD anyway.
I mean even NFL & College Football on broadcast (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX) HDTV video quality looks about the same as the SD DVD of HBO's ROME series when upscale to 1080i. Well, maybe a little better, but not a huge leap. With free HDTV, I have 4 PBS HD channels instead of 1 with the paid digital HD cable.

I guess if you watch TVs a lot instead of blu-ray or hd dvd, then it will be worth it.

B

Buckeye_Nut

I'm very interested in seeing what all HD channels you won't have to pay extra to get.
All new HD-channels will be included without additional charge.

Of course....if you want a premium channel like HD-HBO, HD-Stars, etc, etc, etc, you'll have to pay for the premium channel service.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Same here. I had Digital Cable, but I never watched most of the time.
I mean even NFL & College Football on broadcast (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX) HDTV video quality looks about the same as the SD DVD of HBO's ROME series when upscale to 1080i. Well, maybe a little better, but not a huge leap.

LOL....serves you right for signing up with a crappy cable service. You need to bury that dinosaur cable for good, and join the modern age of satellite TV.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL....serves you right for signing up with a crappy cable service. You need to bury that dinosaur cable for good, and join the modern age of satellite TV.
Yeah, but I already have my digital telephone and broadband internet with Cox Cable, so getting HD cable TV would give me a discount. I don't have any money left after buying all those cables and wires.:)

B

Buckeye_Nut

I already knew Cable tv was bad, but I didn't think it was thaaaaat bad. (as you described the picture quality)

BTW....I use cable for my computer too, but it didn't stop be from buying the best service for my TV. I subscribe to basic cable service for about $12/month(not sure exactly how much), but it's not connected to my TV. I did that only because the discount towards the computer cable for doing so was greater than the unused $12 add-on service.

Sooo...... since SAT & cable service for the TV cost roughly the same, you're telling me you can't afford an additional $12 per month to move out of the dinosaur age??

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
All new HD-channels will be included without additional charge.

Of course....if you want a premium channel like HD-HBO, HD-Stars, etc, etc, etc, you'll have to pay for the premium channel service.
That is good news I have the expanded package with the standard Hi Def fare, I really wanted Sci-Fi in HD, but they didn't offer it, now its to be included.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I already knew Cable tv was bad, but I didn't think it was thaaaaat bad. (as you described the picture quality)

BTW....I use cable for my computer too, but it didn't stop be from buying the best service for my TV. I subscribe to basic cable service for about $12/month(not sure exactly how much), but it's not connected to my TV. I did that only because the discount towards the computer cable for doing so was greater than the unused $12 add-on service.

Sooo...... since SAT & cable service for the TV cost roughly the same, you're telling me you can't afford an additional $12 per month to move out of the dinosaur age??
What's wrong with the dinosaur age? Hmmm.....:mad:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, actually, I probably wouldn't mind satellite if I watched enough TV, but since I hardly ever watch TV, there's just no point. So right now I just have basic cable for $6/month, digital phone for $12/month, and broadband internet for $25/month. I watch blu-ray, hd dvd, and SD dvd 99% of the time when I do watch something.

What's wrong with the dinosaur age? Hmmm.....:mad:
Yeah, you tell him, brother caveman!
I'm a friendly cable-eating dinosaur by the way.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
If you really don't watch that much tv, then it's not worth it. I happen to watch more tv than dvds so in my case (I'm sure also in Buck's case) it's worth it. PQ IMO is better with sat tv over cable. And down here where I live any small windstorm knocks cable service down. After a hurricane (supposing you have a gen set and your dish wasn't damaged) you'll have service, after Wilma my buddy was 10 days without cable after power came back on, total 23 days. I was four days without power, after power came back on I had sat tv instantly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you really don't watch that much tv, then it's not worth it. I happen to watch more tv than dvds so in my case (I'm sure also in Buck's case) it's worth it. PQ IMO is better with sat tv over cable. And down here where I live any small windstorm knocks cable service down. After a hurricane (supposing you have a gen set and your dish wasn't damaged) you'll have service, after Wilma my buddy was 10 days without cable after power came back on, total 23 days. I was four days without power, after power came back on I had sat tv instantly.
Yeah, maybe one of these days when they do have 100 HD satellite channels, I'll get it. I did try Direct TV for one year and Dish Network for one year. I still have a Dish Satellite on the roof of my house. The little guy is just sitting there begging to be turned on:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
They'll have those channels soon, my brother in law is a big wig at the Discovery Channel he was telling me that within the next 3-4 years that number will be doubled or tripled, they're getting the sats ready.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I just have basic cable for $6/month, digital phone for $12/month, and broadband internet for $25/month.
Man that's cheap. Around here basic cable is $50/month. Unless you mean limited basic, where you get only 10 odd local channels? Thats $14/month

But, anything above that is frightfully expensive. I have Basic cable $50/ month, Digital package, with no premium channels $16, DVR fees $12/month and my broadband internet is $45/month. So I am paying about $130/month for cable and broadband and internet.

DTV subscribers, how does DTV compare cost wise? You guys will win me over if the economics play out too...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis