Dream Theater (Help me with the best stuff)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I suggest you start with Images and Words. It's their most accessible album.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Makes sense to me what your saying about vertical versus horizontal expansion.

A constant height screen, to me, would be coolest, but Seymour doesn't seem to make a motorized system. I love the manual panels myself, lol, less to break lol, but, he'll want a motorized one.

Vutec does:
Screen material: SoundScreen
Frame/system: AutoMask-V

Says woven too!

Up to 156" .... just short of 12ft.

Actually my screen is a VuTec. Made here in Florida. Nice screen. Looks good with my Epson anyways.
Ah right there are indeed others. (Is Vutec still around, or maybe a different name now? I can't find much discussion at a glance, unless it was many years ago.) Elite has their Cinetension 2 as well. However, I would stick with the recs I gave, nevertheless, and for that matter, let me once again mention the idea of Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K, if I got the name right.

It doesn't have the same punch as XD, however if you're now going DP over Sony, and scope lens as well, brightness is less and less of an issue. If you get as close as 12', or even closer, he *might enjoy the smoother texture of the E4K. I can no longer detect texture really at that distance, however right immediately after changing out from a solid screen, I could distinguish that there was a subtle difference in brighter scenes. It's been long enough now, where I can't tell the difference between film grain and any possible texture. It's something to consider. I've no idea if Masquerade works with it. Ask Chris Seymour about all of these things.

And to reiterate the seat pitch of 5' that you were thinking (did you say 12' and 17' for example?). Theater seating is about 3' deep. If you only have 2' between seat back of front row, and seat front of back row, how is everyone going to recline? If you only have recliners in the front row, and not back, well, you know where everyone would prefer to sit. Yes, they make HT seating compact, but there is only so much space, human legs are as long as they are, and then what about leaning back too. You didn't address my info here, so I'm reiterating in case it didn't jive with you somehow. Even 6' is tight-ish, and is just about the minimum you can possibly get away with, IMO.

Somewhere in the Seymour site they actually say that their screens are compatible with the Carada Masquerade system.

MasqueradeCIH.aspx

So, they use a lesser expensive, but very high quality masking system, from ANOTHER manufacturer to allow people to get the full CIH AT A-lens setup. We'll have another dozen anacronyms for you before this is all over. :D

There are very few times I would recommend or go CIH anamorphic - but this space sounds ideal for it.
I bet I could get a dozen more already. :p

(DIY?) AT XD or EN4K with CIH & A-lens with (4K?) 3D 3-DLP DP PJ. :D:D

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
You guys have been so helpful. Sorry, was out of town last minute.

Somewhere in the Seymour site they actually say that their screens are compatible with the Carada Masquerade system.

MasqueradeCIH.aspx

So, they use a lesser expensive, but very high quality masking system, from ANOTHER manufacturer to allow people to get the full CIH AT A-lens setup. We'll have another dozen anacronyms for you before this is all over. :D

There are very few times I would recommend or go CIH anamorphic - but this space sounds ideal for it.
Wow, nice! Also they'll do custom sizing it looks like (since the off the shelf ones are too small).

Yeah, hehe, I've been making a list. Nice thing is when I do my dream theater I'm learning from this also, have to bug you guys less. (that theater is about 2 years out from now, still searching for land to build on).

Why are there very few times you'd recommend going CIH anamorphic? I would think it would usually make more sense as soon as you go acoustically transparent? Seems to be what theaters do here.

And to reiterate the seat pitch of 5' that you were thinking (did you say 12' and 17' for example?). Theater seating is about 3' deep. If you only have 2' between seat back of front row, and seat front of back row, how is everyone going to recline? If you only have recliners in the front row, and not back, well, you know where everyone would prefer to sit. Yes, they make HT seating compact, but there is only so much space, human legs are as long as they are, and then what about leaning back too. You didn't address my info here, so I'm reiterating in case it didn't jive with you somehow. Even 6' is tight-ish, and is just about the minimum you can possibly get away with, IMO.
Sorry, I've been moving them as we change screen size (mostly the second and third rows) and probably either said the wrong distance or had some number in my head. I typically leave 36" in any walkway. Then I think the seating is going to be American Leather...so, your looking at probably 8' between rows.

American Leather - American Leather

Very comfortable, and also there are models that aren't so thick on top that they will muffle the surrounds. Some of these home theater chairs when you sink into them its throwing all your acoustics out the door.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Why are there very few times you'd recommend going CIH anamorphic? I would think it would usually make more sense as soon as you go acoustically transparent? Seems to be what theaters do here.
I'm not answering for him here, but I'd still like to give my own 2 cents. The biggest deterrent by far for recommending anamorphic is simply the budget. I don't know why you think it makes more sense with AT, I could perhaps even make a sort of opposite argument. CIH makes more sense with solid screens, because then your center speaker isn't as close to the floor or ceiling which can create a number of audio compromises. With AT, center location is already ideal. Also, rather obvious, I'd still like to state it: Sometimes the dimensions of the room might have CIH/2.35 as the only way to give a bigger screen size (wide room, with low ceiling, for example). OTOH, a different setup might have 1.78 as the only way to further increase size (narrow room, taller ceiling). Yes, pretty obvious, but I do think the choice of 2.35 vs 1.78 is on occasion made precisely due to layout.

Very comfortable, and also there are models that aren't so thick on top that they will muffle the surrounds. Some of these home theater chairs when you sink into them its throwing all your acoustics out the door.
I know of American Leather's reputation. I wish I had it in mind to buy HT seating that had lower backs, for better audio. Too late now, I did get a great price, and there are other side advantages with the seats, but oh well. Good job for not letting that detail pass you by.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis