dracullus' SVS SB-1000 review

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
I'm telling you, you will be happy, but like you know you can always exchange them. I not technical in describing like the guys here, but my ear knows a great product when I hear it. I hope you come back and share your thoughts and most of all ENJOY.
They arrived... set them up and WOW ! Amazing..... tried them with music/movies. Both great, but i think i am going to take advantage of SVS 45 day satisfaction and getting DUEL SB2000. More powerfull amp with a sealed unit. They go as low as the PB1000. More money.... but for me, a smaller footprint, 500watts ( double the 1000 ) and a tighter bass. We will see.... sound is so subjective !:cool:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
They arrived... set them up and WOW ! Amazing..... tried them with music/movies. Both great, but i think i am going to take advantage of SVS 45 day satisfaction and getting DUEL SB2000. More powerfull amp with a sealed unit. They go as low as the PB1000. More money.... but for me, a smaller footprint, 500watts ( double the 1000 ) and a tighter bass. We will see.... sound is so subjective !:cool:
you have to decide which is more important ... movies or music.

because dual PB1000 will win over the dual SB2000 for movies and vice versa for music.

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
you have to decide which is more important ... movies or music.

because dual PB1000 will win over the dual SB2000 for movies and vice versa for music.
I wonder if getting one of each makes sense ? Any thoughts ?

D

danielrg

Audiophyte
I wonder if getting one of each makes sense ? Any thoughts ?
When I talked with SVS - they said that mixing the subs would make for a real voicing/balancing challenge. The guy I talked with, when I said 50/50 music/movies, and most of the movies I watch are NOT action movies - to stick with dual SB-1000.

But, AJC71, just like you I am really tempted to go for dual SB-2000 - in a 2250 cu ft room - for the extra extension and the bass leveling with a Marantz SR-7008 with XT32 and sub equalization.

How did your experience go? You said that you went with dual SB-2000 - AFTER having the dual PB-1000? Very curious how the "punch" compared between the two?

Z

zplatoz

Audiophyte
I have been looking to add 2 subs to my main PSB Imagine speakers. This is by far the best review by anybody including the experts I have ever seen. Base on this review, I will be getting 2 of these subwoofers to meet my systems and room needs. Thanks for a wonderful review.

sremus

sremus

Audiophyte
Lads, I know more than 2 years had passed, but for the lord of mercy, keep sharing your opinions on current setups; I'm looking to get 2 of these badboys and I can't decide between SB or PB yet.

@dracullus ,outstanding review :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lads, I know more than 2 years had passed, but for the lord of mercy, keep sharing your opinions on current setups; I'm looking to get 2 of these badboys and I can't decide between SB or PB yet.

@dracullus ,outstanding review :)

I had a pair of SB1000's for a while. They're very smooth and clean subs, but won't do it in a medium to large sized room. If I had it to do again I'd go ported. Well, I did go ported, but my room is huge and so are my new subs!

Have you looked into any other brands? You might get a little more bang for your buck with Hsu or RSL. There are a couple more, but I'm not remembering right now... Don't be too quick to discount that Speedwoofer because it's only 10". It reviewed very well here and by all accounts I've read it punches above its weight class.

I like that you're going with duals too. I wouldn't go with just one any more.

sremus

sremus

Audiophyte
I had a pair of SB1000's for a while. They're very smooth and clean subs, but won't do it in a medium to large sized room. If I had it to do again I'd go ported. Well, I did go ported, but my room is huge and so are my new subs!

Have you looked into any other brands? You might get a little more bang for your buck with Hsu or RSL. There are a couple more, but I'm not remembering right now... Don't be too quick to discount that Speedwoofer because it's only 10". It reviewed very well here and by all accounts it punches above its weight class.

I like that you're going with duals too. I wouldn't go with just one any more.
The room is ~2200sqf and opens to a small hallway so I guess it fits to medium sized rooms. I tend to go for the pb1000s as well though I've heard some say that are so-so for music; I listen to music.

Unfortunately, in my country, HSU, RSL and Rythmik (to name a few) didn't make it yet.

Yeah, for my poor acoustics in the room, I have to go with duals; had a wharfdale DH10 but the poor guy didn't make it.

How are your thoughts on the PBs in regards to music?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The room is ~2200sqf and opens to a small hallway so I guess it fits to medium sized rooms. I tend to go for the pb1000s as well though I've heard some say that are so-so for music; I listen to music.

Unfortunately, in my country, HSU, RSL and Rythmik (to name a few) didn't make it yet.

Yeah, for my poor acoustics in the room, I have to go with duals; had a wharfdale DH10 but the poor guy didn't make it.

How are your thoughts on the PBs in regards to music?

I think that a well built ported sub will play music just as good as a sealed sub, with more output. I haven't listened to the PB1000, but I know SVS and I'm sure it will not let you down. I'm a mostly music guy myself and felt the way you did at first.

I now own a pair of VTF-3 MK5's and run them with both ports open. They're not boomy or slow at all and sound really good with my music. I have enough confidence in SVS to say you could do a lot worse than to have them as your available choices.

Tl,Dr: Get the PB. A pair of those in a medium size room will do well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis