Download straight to Desktop Problem

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Recently every time I go to open a PDF file it goes straight to my desk top and I have to open it there instead of it opening up where ever it is that I am when I click on it. Any ideas on what I can do to make it like it was before?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Firefox:
Tools-> Option -> Applications

Internet Explorer:
www.firefox.com
dowload firefox
install firefox
Did your parents feed you special food to make you smart? :rolleyes: :D

Thank you. I am humbled by that kind of know how and really jealous. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, it also makes me really appreciate AH in general.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Recently every time I go to open a PDF file it goes straight to my desk top and I have to open it there instead of it opening up where ever it is that I am when I click on it. Any ideas on what I can do to make it like it was before?
This place is the HTPC section not your personal technical support hotline.:mad:

Ok I"m not serious. I'm getting a good laugh out of this. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I use Firefox, and it's always asked me if I want to open it or save it (except for some sites that just open in Firefox without asking). I'm surprised to see that it would just save it without asking.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use Firefox, and it's always asked me if I want to open it or save it (except for some sites that just open in Firefox without asking). I'm surprised to see that it would just save it without asking.
Following Djizasse's instructions take you to a place of choosing. I may have stumbled there on my own and chose to the save option. Who knows? It has been fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

Hey itschris or jinjuku,

If you want some practice moderating you could fix the spelling error in the thread title so that I don't look like a complete baffoon. Thanks. :)

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Following Djizasse's instructions take you to a place of choosing. I may have stumbled there on my own and chose to the save option. Who knows? It has been fine up until a couple of weeks ago.
Alex, I'm glad you solved your problem. If you need more help with firefox, just shoot. It's my browser of choice. I allways try to get people to at least try it.
Have you tried any extension?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If you need more help with firefox, just shoot.
Have you tried any extension?
Thank you, I appreciate that. For extensions I have:

Adblock Plus
Java Quick Starter
JavaScript Debugger
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
NoScript.

I think I installed the Java stuff trying to get YouTube to play when I just needed to click on the NoScript logo in the bottom right corner. The MS thing? Your guess is as good as mine and the other two were recommended by tHa TrIxTa. The only reason I use Firefox is to prevent the pop ups from 'words' I run my cursor over. I'm sorry but that is plain rude. The thing that really got me was the talking pop ups. Believe me, the transition wasn't smooth. This is my second and more successful go around with it.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
As much as I like FF, there are some pages that just don't look good or broken. Which leads to my favorite plug in:
IE Tab

I really liked the speed of Chrome, but too many broken pages and lack of configuration brought me back to FF.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
These are the ones I like, by order of importance, best ones first:

Xmarks
let's you have all your bookmarks stored online, enabling synchronization between several computers (at home, work, etc), can also store passwords (I don't recommend it). It's the replacement for "google browser sync". With this one I stoped emailing links to check at home, now I just drag them to the bookmark toolbar.

All-in-One Gestures
Execute common browser commands using mouse gestures.

Tiny Menu
Replaces the standard menu bar with a tiny menu popup

Stylish
To change the style of any page. I use it to block pictures and adds, transforms pages to black background with white text, etc.. It helps to know CSS.

DownloadHelper
Download anything from a web page, including all those youtube videos

IE Tab
For those annoying sites that only work in IE, this reloads a page using an Internet Explorer engine, right on firefox

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Me again ...

The attachments on this page:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=551265&postcount=1

get placed on my desktop. :confused:

The other stuff I was having the issue with no longer does that since I switched things around in apps but there seems to be no help for this. It's not a big deal but I appreciate the education and ease of use advantages of getting this kind of stuff sorted out. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis