Down and dirty speaker stands

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
for the Continuums. The cabinets for the Continuum speakers are essentially inert. They don't emit much in the way of resonances or vibrations so these are actually perches because I won't leave the speakers on them when other people are here. I cobbled these together out of scrap pipes after work and I really didn't have a lot of time to put into them. All in all, from top of the head design to tis point has about 45 mins total. I'll paint them satin black, and if they need weight, I will fill them with sand. They are actually a lot sturdier than the pigeon toe construction would seem. I will put plywood tops on them and I have some 1/4", self adhesive foam rubber I can stick on there. This will put the tweeters of the Continuum right at about ear level. I have some plasti-caps for the feet ends, but I am not sticking them in there until after it's painted. I will likely put some resilient rubber strips on the bottoms since these will be on terrazzo floors.

I'll post more pics after they are painted and with the speakers on them.

ETA: They are slightly crowned at the pigeon foot to where it has a sure, 3 point lie, so they don't wobble in spite of what irregularities may exist on the floor.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like a cool project.
Thanks, Jim. Nothing spectacular, but it's a nice resource to have when you need something like stands. I have never needed speaker stands before and it never occurred to me to need any when I started looking at bookshelf sized designs. I looked at some DIYs online but didn't really feel like messing with wood or pvc pipe and some of the improvisations that can often accompany such things.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, Jim. Nothing spectacular, but it's a nice resource to have when you need something like stands. I have never needed speaker stands before and it never occurred to me to need any when I started looking at bookshelf sized designs. I looked at some DIYs online but didn't really feel like messing with wood or pvc pipe and some of the improvisations that can often accompany such things.
You got that right. I can't believe how expensive decent speaker stands are. My wood ones aren't bad, but I'd love to be able to weld up a pair.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had some REALLY nice, stainless half-moon with a vertical uprights that I wanted to make stands out of. Not sure what they even came from, but they were heavy and good looking. I moved and ended up getting rid of them....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You got that right. I can't believe how expensive decent speaker stands are. My wood ones aren't bad, but I'd love to be able to weld up a pair.
My issue with wood is that these days, we are often limited to what home centers offer. When needing something a bit more furniture grade, or straight, for that matter, that typically requires what is now considered lumber specialty outlets. Which can be expensive for those paying retail, and even they tend to only stock based on a relative instant demand. The selection at my local home depot sucks.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had some REALLY nice, stainless half-moon with a vertical uprights that I wanted to make stands out of. Not sure what they even came from, but they were heavy and good looking. I moved and ended up getting rid of them....
That probably made someone happy finding those.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Right, that is one of the reasons that I tend to prefer towers. Good BS $ + Good Stands $ = $ for good towers.

Not really, but you still gotta consider the cost of the stands in the equation! Then, the floor space taken up by BS + stands ends up being similar to towers anyway!

I do tend to prefer BS for smaller setups, bedrooms, desks, etc.

Heck, right now in my man-cave, my Primus P363 are the stands for my Philharmonitors! :cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Right, that is one of the reasons that I tend to prefer towers. Good BS $ + Good Stands $ = $ for good towers.

Not really, but you still gotta consider the cost of the stands in the equation! Then, the floor space taken up by BS + stands ends up being similar to towers anyway!

I do tend to prefer BS for smaller setups, bedrooms, desks, etc.

Heck, right now in my man-cave, my Primus P363 are the stands for my Philharmonitors! :cool:
I made my stands for about $20, but I shopped around first and they ain't cheap. Unless you already have a spot, stands really do need to be factored in and they really should be solid and heavy.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I made my stands for about $20, but I shopped around first and they ain't cheap. Unless you already have a spot, stands really do need to be factored in and they really should be solid and heavy.
The Continuums I have on these don't have a lot of action thru the cabinets so it was after listening to them that I figured out I could get away with less of a stand. I do have some .25" wall x 3" square pipe I could have used but it seemed overkill for these. As it is now, two passes each thru the band saw can return these to the scrap pile that they came from, so I did think of that as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis