Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I just wanted to drop a note in here that I added my Hsu STF-3 into my main system with my SVS PB-12 Plus. This setup makes smooth, easy bass that seems to envelop the room. That is not to say it doesn't lack punch, because it certainly has that as well, but without seeming like either sub is working hard. The whole definitely seems to be greater than the sum of its parts.

F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
When adding a second sub to your system what made you decide on a different brand name , besides having two matching subs?

I'm trying to figure this out for my own system

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I just used what I already had. I had the STF-3 in my bedroom system and just wanted to experiment with double subs. The result has been so overwhelmingly successful that it will have to stay like this. Down the road, I might add another PB12 Plus so that things match, but it is not a priority and it would be expensive. Who the heck really needs 2 x PB12 Plus in an 11 x 14 room anyway?

I"ll have to put the SPL meter to it to see if its evened out the peaks in my room induced frequency response, but my gut reaction tells me that it has.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
What are the positions of the two subs? Did you co-locate them or place them apart from each other?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

FWIW, I have my pair of Hsu's sitting next to each other in the same corner. And I would defy anyone to locate them by ear!:eek: :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I have one in each front corner of the the soundstage. I'm thinking about pushing them in toward the center and using them as speaker stands, all in the name of experimentation.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, funny thing about acoustics. I moved the subs to use them as stands in the speaker location and the bass virtually disappeared. Even raising the bass setting substantially would not bring it back to what it was, so back to the corner they went.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
No such thing as overkill

My music/home theatre room even though small (15x16x10) has a 9.2 set-up. The .2 are (is?) 2 HSU VTF-3 Mk2 subs stacked on top of each other. Don't even TRY to tell me it's too much low end. I love it. I'm actually considering adding a third sub I've got lying around (Klipsch RSW12) even though it's not the quality of my HSUs, just to see what happens.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
No pictures

...yet. But I'll take some and post 'em. The moderator on the HSU site actually recommended stacking the subs as one alternative to placing them in different locations. My main problem with the room is it's almost square and has high ceilings (bad acoustic juju). I wish the room was larger, but that can't be fixed. I'm in the process of treating it with home-made absorbers by framing 4x2 sheets of 4" thick mineral wool and stapling fabric over them. I haven't put them up yet (I just moved-in, so it's down the list a ways).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis