Don't Waste Bits and Hard Drive Space. The Need for Hi-Res Debunked!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have touched on this issue in many posts. This is another area where Audiophool myths abound.

I have replied to posts over the years as to why the CD 44.1KHz and the 16 bit depth has adequate FR and dynamic range. That is what I use for archiving on my hard drives and with good reason. As these videos explain, I may use a higher bit depth while processing files, but I don't waste hard drive space going above the CD standard.

These two videos explain better than I can, and in ways you will all understand, that there are no gains to be had in this High Res Audio fad. There may actually be harm.

Please watch these two videos below. I proved this to myself years ago at the dawn of the video era. But these two videos are elegant. There is not a member here who could not benefit from watching these two videos. They are timely, but will make the Audiophools shout their lungs out via their keyboards!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Rick Beato did a Redbook vs max bit rate MP3 and I think one person was able to pick out one song. Just use 16/44.1 and FLAC.

Here's the great thing about FLAC is that the compression/decompression is asymetric. If you turn the dial up all the way on the compression to get the smallest file size, there is literally no hit CPU wise on the decompression.

Something I got into over at aud1opylestile were they don't really understand computer audio.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never thought there was much to it in the first place....more audiophilia.

highfigh

highfigh

Rick Beato did a Redbook vs max bit rate MP3 and I think one person was able to pick out one song. Just use 16/44.1 and FLAC.

Here's the great thing about FLAC is that the compression/decompression is asymetric. If you turn the dial up all the way on the compression to get the smallest file size, there is literally no hit CPU wise on the decompression.

Something I got into over at aud1opylestile were they don't really understand computer audio.
I haven't been able to find it but Gene did an interview with a recording engineer regarding MP3 and the engineer played files that showed the missing info- it was easy to identify the songs- maybe Gene has this in an archive.

If we really want to go down the rabbit hole, we should get into the whole "How good is your hearing?" aspect and compare hearing acuity with the various formats. That doesn't even get into the ability to listen FOR differences and details, either.

Many people hear the music, fewer hear the fine details, still others say they can hear sound in outer space. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I haven't been able to find it but Gene did an interview with a recording engineer regarding MP3 and the engineer played files that showed the missing info- it was easy to identify the songs- maybe Gene has this in an archive.

If we really want to go down the rabbit hole, we should get into the whole "How good is your hearing?" aspect and compare hearing acuity with the various formats. That doesn't even get into the ability to listen FOR differences and details, either.

Many people hear the music, fewer hear the fine details, still others say they can hear sound in outer space. :)
Lossy compression algorithms do not lower the frequency or bit depth. They are psychoacoustic paradigms that decide which parts of the program you can leave out without anyone noticing. More is left out as you lower mbps. That has nothing to do with this thread. The sound that unmasks lossy codecs, is audience applause, as clapping is random and that defeats these lossy codecs.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have touched on this issue in many posts. This is another area where Audiophool myths abound.

I have replied to posts over the years as to why the CD 44.1KHz and the 16 bit depth has adequate FR and dynamic range. That is what I use for archiving on my hard drives and with good reason. As these videos explain, I may use a higher bit depth while processing files, but I don't waste hard drive space going above the CD standard.

These two videos explain better than I can, and in ways you will all understand, that there are no gains to be had in this High Res Audio fad. There may actually be harm.

Please watch these two videos below. I proved this to myself years ago at the dawn of the video era. But these two videos are elegant. There is not a member here who could not benefit from watching these two videos. They are timely, but will make the Audiophools shout their lungs out via their keyboards!

I watched those videos also. I have a hi rez capable streamer/ dac but i don't hear any difference when I play the same song on my CD player. OH well I'm content with CD quality from my streamer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I watched those videos also. I have a hi rez capable streamer/ dac but i don't hear any difference when I play the same song on my CD player. OH well I'm content with CD quality from my streamer.
Congratulations, you have joined the membership who uses evidence and knows what you hear. You are devoid of an overactive imagination. Great post.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have never spent any time second guessing CD, or CD quality. Mostly from being into audio when the CD came out, and the overlap with vinyl, tape, and FM radio at the time for long term, comparative study, whether wanting to or not.

As such, it has remained the most reliable standard, for my use, at least. Now I just don't care if there is better. If higher res music was that much better, it would have had to hit me like the difference between CD and vinyl did, in order for me to invest much interest in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis