Dolby Digital problems

G

glaze

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm an audio surround noob. I have a JVC 7520VBK receiver and 5.1 speakers hooked up to a blu ray and HD PVR via digital optical cable. I switch the cable back and forth, however on both the Rogers HD PVR and the Blu Ray Players I have issues with 5.1ch surround sound.

BLU RAY: Insignia NS-BRDVD3

UPDATED FIRMWARE

ww.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia&%23174%3B+-+Blu-ray+Disc+Player+with+1080p+Output/9386112.p?skuId=9386112&id=1218096447923

ROGERS HD PVR:

ww.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/rogers-160gb-hd-pvr-cable-box-8300-hdpvr-ontario-only/10054019.aspx?path=c607b5c496ad4396a166873b22c781e7en02
The front two speakers are are :

Main Speakers - Kenwood JL-508
Sensitivity is 92 dB/W at 1 m
Frequency response is 45Hz to 20kHz
Normal impedance is 8 omhs
I have 4 other speakers (two rear, middle and sub) from a cheapo dvd-all-in-one. I can't find too much information for them however :

REAR SPEAKERs- Prima HT8104
4ohms
all 5.1 = 600w
Subwoofer = 8ohms < 150w
Here is the information from my manual about my receiver:

RECEIVER
JVC - 7520vbk
Amplifier
Output During Surround operation:

FRONT: 100w per channel min. RMS, driven into
8ohm at 1kHz with no more than
0.8% total harmonic distortion

REAR: 100w per channel, min. RMS driven into 8ohm
at 1kHz with no more than 0.8% total distortion.

SUPPORTS: DOLBY Pro Logic II, DTS,

dl.owneriq.net/3/3542ef4b-7c74-3b94-25ac-7353114eab55.pdf
The problem is: Both on the PVR and Blu Ray the "surround sound" does not utilize the best out of the speakers. In stereo mode, the two front speakers play the highs mids and lows nicely its just not surround.

When I switch it to surround sound, the center speaker plays all the "highs" such as voices, car door slams (The dark knight it plays voices). The other speakers are all missing the "highs" and when I listen to each individually it sounds like a very faint echo of the voices. However, the loud rumbling such as explosions and symphony music come out crisp and clear. I want to know how I can fix this so the two large front speakers play as well as they do in stereo mode?

Thank you in advance, this stuff is frustrating to me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
The problem is: Both on the PVR and Blu Ray the "surround sound" does not utilize the best out of the speakers. In stereo mode, the two front speakers play the highs mids and lows nicely its just not surround.
This is normal behavior, Stereo Mode is designed and intended to only play from the two Front speakers (and possibly the sub depending on the brand/model).

When I switch it to surround sound, the center speaker plays all the "highs" such as voices, car door slams (The dark knight it plays voices). The other speakers are all missing the "highs" and when I listen to each individually it sounds like a very faint echo of the voices. However, the loud rumbling such as explosions and symphony music come out crisp and clear. I want to know how I can fix this so the two large front speakers play as well as they do in stereo mode?
It is normal for movie sound tracks to place most dialog content in the center audio channel. The Front L & R normally receive most of the movie's musical content, and the surrounds normally get only limited, specific content (helicopter fly-bys, bullet richochettes, etc.).

But if the system does not sound good to you, I suspect it is made worse by the mismatched speaker impedances you are currently running. This would contribute to the 8-ohm speakers sounding weak compared to the 4-ohm speakers when playing the same audio signal.

At a minimum, get rid of the cheapo 4-ohm center speaker and replace with a 8-ohm speaker (preferably of the same brand and series as your Front L and R speakers).

Even better, get rid of all the 4 ohm speakers since your amp is not designed to drive them and you recognize them as cheapos to begin with!

XEagleDriver

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis