Do you own a universal remote?

B

Britney meyers

Enthusiast
Hello everyone

I've tried a search for this topic but came up empty handed.

I'm getting tired of reaching for 3+remotes just to watch a movie. I'm going to get one of those universal remotes but I just don't know which to buy.

I've been doing a lot of reading on those Harmony remotes, maybe the H659 they sound easy to set up.

I respect all your opinions so I would love to hear anything you have to say.

If there is a topic on this already then I'm sorry for re posting but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
Brit

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Just do a search for a MX-500. This is a learning universal remote that does everything including being able to load macros. Top quality piece of gear for around $85.00.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
I am using a sony rm-av2500 which does everything but jack you off (and I think you might be able to program a button for that) You can get one at worst buy I mean best buy for $150 It will control anything because it is a learning remote not to mention the 3"x2" back lit LCD touchscreen

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
My daughter bought me one from RS,all bluew and it lights up. Works pretty darn good and works on all my stuff inc TiVo.

R

Red

Audioholic
Britney. the Harmony 659 is a very good remote. You want to watch a movie? press the button "watch a movie". Same with TV, music etc. It is easy to configure on their website and a very intuitive tool once it is set up.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have an old Marantz RC2000 MkII. It's old, but I like it. After I finish the home theater I will probably go to an IntelliControl remote system. There not flashy, but very solid and have a good reputaiton. I am running all the wire as I build the home theater in the basement.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Harmony!

Britney meyers said:
I've been doing a lot of reading on those Harmony remotes, maybe the H659 they sound easy to set up.
Hi Brit,

No single piece of HT equipment has changed my life as much as the Harmony 659 remote. It can be found for $99 CDN on the street, although I'd hold out for the new model with the LCD screen and charging station (reason below).

Two caveats:
1) Requires a computer and internet connection, but since you're on here I'm assuming you've got that.
2) It's a pig on batteries unless you turn off the auto backlighting when a button is pressed and shroten it's cycle. Rehargeables are a must.

This remote literally allows grandma to control your HT system effectively, while still giving you access to all the detailed features of your equipment. It's simply another brilliant Canadian invention, no other remote even comes close. Not even the $10,000 touch screens IMHO, because it allows you to hold it and use it with one hand by feel, like it was meant to be for a true couch potatoe. :) There's a reviews of two models on this site:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/HarmonyH688remotecontrol_1.php
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/LogitechHarmony676remotecontrol.php

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
All hail harmony

I have a harmony 688, hey this thing does it all, it will even control my gaming consoles and den lights, oh and my blinds. Say goodbuy to bs button mashing programing, heck go to the website at www.harmonyremote.com. Oh and once you are done with the simple set up all activities start with the touch of one button. :eek:
P.S. I only wish I would have waited for the 880, maybe I'll get greedy and buy one when they come out anyway. :rolleyes:

R

RMK!

Remotes

I have the Harmony 659 and it is great. Their website walks you through the setup and allows for a lot of customization. I found out about the Harmony at remotecentral.com. Good place to evaluate various remotes with user and pro reviews.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis