Do You Have Acoustic Treatments In Your Room

Do You Have Acoustic Treatments In Your Room

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is an absolute MUST and should be considered above equipment upgrades, and especially cable upgrades.

Obviously if you're still using Dolby Pro Logic, I'd recommend upgrading your receiver before the room... but lots of people will leave their rooms untreated and upgrade receivers just to get a few more watts per channel - thinking that will greatly improve the sound.

If everyone remembers that roughly 50% of everything you hear is the room I think the lights will start to go on.

Great poll!

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
I have some DIY treament on the wall behind my chair. And large bookcases on one wall offer diffusion.

But what I really need to do is build a dedicated listening room!

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I don't have traditional acoustic room treatments but I do have furniture place certain ways like couches and chairs. I also have a fairly large living room with hardwood floors where the HT is so I bought a large area rug and found that made a very big difference in the sound. There is also a wetbar recessed into the wall about 2 1/2 feet and about 6 feet directly to the right side of my right front main which has a side firing sub built in. Before the wetbar was open with some really nice 60's gold-fleck mirrors in it. (being remodeled shortly!) This was an acoustic trap. I have since put some nice window treatments over the bar/whole and that really helped the bass.

Shinerman

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Diagonal laid pine walls on 3 sides

Front left side (extra 15', in addition to the 35' long x 12' wide) includes a wet bar with wood panels in the front

Carpeting for the first 20 feet, from front of the HT to back of the seating area, followed by 15 feet of tiles.

Sound absorbing ceiling tiles throughout.

Sound is great but the room is not soundproof and when my wife is in the house, must turn down the sound.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
hawke said:
This is an absolute MUST and should be considered above equipment upgrades, and especially cable upgrades.

Obviously if you're still using Dolby Pro Logic, I'd recommend upgrading your receiver before the room... but lots of people will leave their rooms untreated and upgrade receivers just to get a few more watts per channel - thinking that will greatly improve the sound.

If everyone remembers that roughly 50% of everything you hear is the room I think the lights will start to go on.
I think this bears repeating....A LOT of repeating to help it sink in, especially for beginners.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
hopjohn said:
I think this bears repeating....A LOT of repeating to help it sink in, especially for beginners.
You can say that again!

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Az B said:
You can say that again!
ditto again. It should also be stated that the sound quality improvement with room treatment has a good bang per dollar factor.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
hopjohn said:

It's an uphill battle for several reasons. High end audio and the community they cater to dismiss it mostly and go the tweaking of everything else route mentality.

Secondly, unless you have your own listeing room that can be treated, it will never happen in other rooms that family and guests use .

Not as easy to do as replacing components ;) Takes more knowledge.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
yes, my whole room is an accoustical treatment.

None of those miracle tubes, or any of that DIY stuff. I just have used LOTS of bookcases and heavy furnishings to absorb and deflect.

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
DIY acoustical tweaks

Over living room is the place where I have my Stereo gear. As the room is relatively big, spacius and relatively empty, the reberation time is far too long.

As experiments and to provide a basis for a better planning and implementation of acoustical threatments I have placed some Rockwoll fiberglass at strategic places. I also have a corner bass trap currently made by a big plywood plate with a sleeping bag as apsorber behind it.

Finally I have 5 - 6 foam sheets, 2" - 3*4 feet, placed at all prime reflection points.

The WAF=0 but it makes an enormous improvement. :)

The cost of this experiment is zero as I use material I have for maintaining our house anyway. The budget for the final solution will also be low as the material price is nothing compared to the cost of the many "Of the shelf" products on the market.

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
:) Indeed I have as I have completed my work; all DYI.

I must say you have newer heard your system correctly without it :)

The problem to most people is to understand the needs and/or why there might be a potential for improvements. "Master Handbook of Acoustics" can certainly help here.

plhart

Audioholic
1. "I have some DIY treament on the wall behind my chair. And large bookcases on one wall offer diffusion.
But what I really need to do is build a dedicated listening room!"

2. "Carpeting for the first 20 feet, from front of the HT to back of the seating area, followed by 15 feet of tiles.
Sound absorbing ceiling tiles throughout.
Sound is great but the room is not soundproof and when my wife is in the house, must turn down the sound."

3. "It's an uphill battle for several reasons. High end audio and the community they cater to dismiss it mostly and go the tweaking of everything else route mentality.
Secondly, unless you have your own listeing room that can be treated, it will never happen in other rooms that family and guests use .
Not as easy to do as replacing components Takes more knowledge."

Wow! What a wide variety of responses to our "Do you have acoustic room treatments?" question. And the answer is....every one of you guys is correct. Room treatments don't have to come in a box labeled "room treatment". All room furnishings affect the sound in one way or another. Whether they're reflective or absorptive is the question. We just try to get the proper proportion of reflective to absorptive treatments, critically positioned, to turn the acoustic experience at the listening position(s) into one which allows us to hear further into the soundscape.

Read my second short review of of the Denon/Audyssey 5805 system to see what I mean. Take a well done room, like Denon's show HT was and even with slightly overdamped acoustics the listening experience goes past the characteristic sound of particular speakers and into being able to quite easily discern what the sound mixer was doing.

I can't remember ever reading a review in a home theater print mag where the reviewer could hear so far into the mix. I heard the same sort of clarity with the Lexicon V4 EQ room correction circuitry, optional in the MC12 prepro. That mini-review will come out in a day or two. Some of the cleanest, tightest and most accurate response below 250Hz I've heard with a passive crossover loudspeaker. And in a very lightly treated demonstration room at the Rennaisance Hotel at CES.

And Rip, you're going to get you wish too. Part 4 of The CEDIA Seminars covers Room Acoustics; Room Isolation. Steve Haas of SH! Acoustics revealed the only ways to truly isolate bass frequencies from the rest of the house. It ain't cheap as you'll see...

Last edited:
W

WoodieB

Audioholic Intern
I've lived with a very difficult (acoustically) theater/listening room for a long time. Open hallway on one side, brick wall/hearth on the other, etc. I've done a lot of research on the web, looking at various acoustic treatments, and finally decided to go with the products made by Ethan Winer at www.realtraps.com One thing that helped me decide was the level of customer service. I phoned realtraps and talked to Ethan, and he suggested that I send him some digital photos of my room. I did so, and within a couple of hours he had emailed me back with his recommendations. After a few more exchanges, I had decided on a package and ordered it. Should be here in a week or so. I will have a total of 15 minitraps and microtraps in my theater room. I decided that if I were going to do this, I would do it right with quality products.
Hopefully I've made the right decision. All of the reviews and comments I've seen concerning this product are positive. Anyone here have Realtraps products in their theater? Once everything is installed, I'll give it a good listen and post my results.

Denon 2805 AV receiver
Orb Audio front channels
PSB in wall surrounds
Def. Tech subwoofer
Pioneer 578 DVD player

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Acoustic treatments

If the 2K plus LP's, rugs, books, wall hangings and other furniture aren't acoustic treatment I don't know what is. CD's aren't so good for this, the jewel boxes being highly reflective. By making wise choices about your room furnishings one can go a long way toward good room acoustics without resorting to drastic measures. :cool:

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Auralex

I have ceiling baffles, bass traps and foam wall panels isntalled. I need to add more, but what I have is adequate for now...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis