Do these specs seem in line with the $$$

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hello again. I was wondering if I could get some opinions from the learned ones out there. Following my over-long explination are the vitals from the new center that I am currently able to purchase for a very reasonable price. The speaker sounded really good in the store, and they let me take my time listening to it, and it alone, in a variety of methods and at whatever volumes I wanted. The thing is I have already built one HT system (poorly) and I am starting the new one based on learned lessons. While the sound in my current system is "OK" it is not what I want. While I do plan on staying on a tight budget, I think that I have found the brand, and models for me. My one concern is that while I was allowed to sample the speaker, the components that they use at the store are of a much better caliber than mine. I will be upgrading the receiver and connections soon, but the speakers are coming first this time. I put the brand name at the bottom, but I purposely left it off the top so as not to bias anyone.

What I want to know is does the following information sound good for a speaker if it is in the $225 US range? Also with 6 ohms should I switch my receiver to the 4 ohms setting? It doesn't have a 6. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated as always.

FREQUENCY RANGE (Anechoic Chamber)
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 55-21,000Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 65-20,000Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 65-10,000Hz
LF Cutoff -10dB 50Hz

SENSITIVITY (1W (2.83V) @ 1m, IEC-filtered Pink Noise, C-weighted)
Anechoic Chamber 90dB
Typical Listening Room 92dB

IMPEDANCE

Nominal 6 Ohms
Minimum 4 Ohms

INPUT POWER (RMS, Clipping <10% Time)
Recommended 10-150 Watts
Program 120 Watts
Dynamic Peak 240 Watts

ACOUSTIC DESIGN

Tweeter (Nominal) 1" (25mm)

Aluminium Dome with Ferrofluid
Woofer (Nominal) 2 x 5 1/4" (133mm)

Polypropylene Cone, Rubber Surround
Crossover 2,200Hz, B3
Internal Volume 0.59 cu ft (16.5 liter)
Design Type Bass Reflex

2 x 2" Front Port

Video Shielded

SIZE (W x H x D) 22 7/8 x 6 1/2 x 11 5/8"

581 x 165 x 295mm
WEIGHT

Net 23lb (10.5kg)/each
Shipping 27lb (12.3kg)/each

FINISH Black Ash

FEATURES

5-way Gold-plated
Binding Posts
Clear Bumpers

Speaker is a PSB 8c, discontinued now but still sounding awesome. It turns out that both PSB and NAD are headquartered about 20 min from my front door. Who'd a thunk it? Both products get rave reviews, but I couldn't find anything about PSB here.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
PSB is, to me, closely competes with Paradigm in the marketplace. Both made in Canada, offer good value for the money and compete at pretty much the same price points. Having heard both, I have to say that I PREFER the PSB sound to PAradigm. It seems to be a little smoother, less pronounced in the upper midrange/lower treble and overall more to my liking. Also, a little less rough in tha bass as well.

Paradigm doe4s seem to have a better PR staff and distribution channels though.

FWIW, I believe both PSB and NAD are handled by the same marketing group, Lenco which just so happens to be in Canada also.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis