Do the fans in HK receivers ever work????

C

cozneffect

Enthusiast
I have recently purchased AVR335 and the other day i ran the receiver for almost an hour at 90% of the highest volume (-5 dB) and the receiver got hot enough but i didnot find the fan running (i actually looked at it through the air vents in the rear panel). i talked to my dealer and he told me that it is not before many hours of continuous running at high volumes that the fan starts. he told me that the fan runs only when the heat sink is unable to dissipate all the heat. is this correct and if so, how much time does it normally take (and at how much volume) before the fan starts running? can anyone using this receiver or any other HK receiver with a fan tell me from his own experience.

thanks a lot.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i have the same receiver and ive never heard my fan run.

it does run hot, but it will run hot at even half capacity...

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
The fans in most H/K receivers will only kick on when the internal unit reaches a 'critical' temperature. It's an emergency measure incase you stack components on top/below your HK so it doesn't overheat and go nuclear.

The only active fans in HK units are in the 635 and 7300 unit, which is actively cooling the video processing unit (FLI-2300 in the AVR7300), which generates as much heat as a low end computer CPU.

In most cases, the massive aluminum heat sinks are able dissipate the heat without assistance. :)

C

cozneffect

Enthusiast
Any useful links??

If anyone can give me some useful links that give info. about the fan issue, it would be great.

thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis