Do subs with speaker level connections high-pass the mains?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's not a bad price. Heck, for under 2 bills, I'd consider buying one for my second rig... Then again, I'm not really interested in telling my wife "hey, you know what I could really use right now is another sub" :D
Next to a Funk, its a stretch to call that thing a 'sub'

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
@KEW Are you thinking this will fit in the corner by the door, where the Rythmik does not?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW Are you thinking this will fit in the corner by the door, where the Rythmik does not?
No, not considering it at ll if it doessn't high-pass that mains and it sounds like I wouldn't want to if it did, so no interest at this point.
However, I was considering it for use with integrated stereo amp or Emo XDA/pre.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW believe that series of JBL consumer subs have had amp longevity issues....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
High-level transmission is not the place anyone should be filtering a signal. That is crazy. It is essentially adding an unexpected element to the speaker's crossover. I have to wonder what it is doing to the impedance of the circuit and how that is affecting the speaker's behavior...
Anything to avoid actual bass management for the 2ch crowd?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Most of the ones I've had experience with have fixed HP, including velodyne, focal, and monitor audio.
Velodyne, Focal and Monitor Audio are not on the list of companies that I would expect to take major liberties with SQ! I wonder how problematic this really is?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Velodyne, Focal and Monitor Audio are not on the list of companies that I would expect to take major liberties with SQ! I wonder how problematic this really is?

Depends on what you're comparing it to. Relative to modern bass management handled in the digital domain, it's vastly inferior. As a last resort analog bass management where no other options exist beyond feeding the speakers a full range signal it could be worthwhile, but it's also possible that it could cause as many problems as it solves.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Depends on what you're comparing it to. Relative to modern bass management handled in the digital domain, it's vastly inferior. As a last resort analog bass management where no other options exist beyond feeding the speakers a full range signal it could be worthwhile, but it's also possible that it could cause as many problems as it solves.
Thanks!
It sounds like I would be better served using the pro-audio subs if I decide to do this. They seem to offer units that do this at the line-level (often having a foot-switch for sub on-off) for use with studio monitors. Of course that requires access to the main signals between the pre and the amp!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks!
It sounds like I would be better served using the pro-audio subs if I decide to do this. They seem to offer units that do this at the line-level (often having a foot-switch for sub on-off) for use with studio monitors. Of course that requires access to the main signals between the pre and the amp!
There are some options out there, including adding something like a MiniDSP. For a standalone subwoofer solution, the most advanced I know of is the SB13U. It can take the line signal, apply high pass filters which are adjustable by frequency and slope, and send that back out to your amp. In either case, if you're looking at integrated amps, this can be accomplished with one that has a preamp out / main in loop.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
The 550p manual says:
"Crossover control: This control determines the highest frequency
at which the subwoofer reproduces sounds. The higher you set the
Crossover control, the higher in frequency the subwoofer will operate and
the more its bass will "overlap" that of the system's other speakers. This
adjustment helps achieve a smooth transition of bass frequencies between
the subwoofer and the other speakers for a variety of different rooms and
subwoofer locations. NOTe: The Crossover control functions only when
the Input Mode switch is in the "Normal" position. When the switch is in
the "LFE" position the subwoofer's built-in crossover and Crossover control
are bypassed."

Sure doesn't sound like it has any high pass filter option what with the overlap mentioned....
Many low cost subs have a fixed high-pass filter to the mains. No matter how you set the crossover on the sub it only acts on the sub itself. The high-pass to the mains is non-adjustable. Why? Cheaper that way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis