zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Besides being in the market for new speakers,I'm also looking at amps. I have been learning quite a bit but have some questions. I've had my eye on a B&K 200.5 at a local store & have been waiting for the chance to deal them below the $2300 they currently have it "on sale" for. In the meantime I discovered the Outlaw 755. It is also a 5 X 200WPC amp with a higher damping factor # & an impressive looking build with dual torroidal transformers for $1365,delivered. However,having only heard the B&K(impressive) & not knowing anyone with an Outlaw,it's hard to compare them other than by the specs.
My question to all is: Can the specs for amps really be an indicator of what one could expect it to sound like? I saw the Marantz (mm9000 I believe) being advertised for $750. It's a 5 X 150WPC but by looking at the specs,weight,& cross-section picture, it looks no better than my Yammy 3300. Would one assume the B&K would sound better than the Outlaw because,after all, it's a B&K! Or could this be a case of, it's no better than the Outlaw but because it's a B&K it's a $1000 more?
I'd love to hear as many responses to this as possible,even if it's just speculation.

Thanks.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

If you are truely interested in Outlaw buy one and try it out. They do have a 30 day return policy. Wouldn't you feel silly for spending twice the money if you found out you liked the outlaw more?

Let your Ears be the judge. Not spec sheets or prices. :cool:

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
I think Oultlaw's amps are fine products. I was curious if you were consdidering the 755, why not also consider 5 monoblocks M-200? The price isn't that much different, and then each channel would have it's own power supply an not have to share two as in the 755. Just food for thought.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Thanks Griff. I didn't read the disclaimer & didn't realize that they had a return policy.
Hopjohn, if I may ask, why are you selling yours?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Simple really, I'd like to get what I paid for them so I can turn around and buy 7 at once and get the quantity discount. I bought mine before they started offering them this way.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it.???... :rolleyes: Actually I'm selling them for less than what you can get them for individually so I'm still offereing a good deal. They are still available by the way.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
A word on the B&K zip. I have the 7250 which is the same thing until the changed the name. I don't think it's quite 200w/ch but more like 175 -185. Others I've read accused them of fudging the wattage. The audioholics had an article about this and the numbers I offer are based on the calculations there.

I thought about outlaw as well as Sherbourn but I went with the B&K for about 2250 2 years ago for the safety of a good local dealer's support which is worth something. That said I've heard nothing but good stuff about outlaw service and they wouldn't hang around as an E dealer if they had an unreasonable number of defective products or couldn't repair them.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Thanks Dan. I found an old review (Nov,"02) on the 755 & it got a decent review,a neutral amp sound-wise,maybe a little cool sounding.
How do you feel about the B&K now,having owned it for 2 yrs.? Are you satisfied? Frankly,the fact that it may only deliver around 180WPC wouldn't bother me as long as none of the chans are compromised & the sound & bass punch are there.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Zip, Sorry if my original reply was incomplete about how I felt about the 7250.Despite the fudged power rating, it sounds great. There is enough power to drive my inefficient (87dB) mains coupled with my two 300w amped subs to achieve 100dB volume at the listening position (10 ft) in a room 15' x 20' x 8'. I find the amp neutral to maybe a little warm with my very neutral speakers. The terminals are able to handle my biwired mains plus the subs (Vandy subs connect to the AMP output for three wires per terminal (two bare 1 banana plug). The amp gets hot but is well vented keep it in a clear location. The manual recommends 7" of clearance. A review I read complained about the flimsy power switch which it is. I don't use it much. You can daisy chain a remote from a B&K prepro as well as many others I'm sure. I only turn the power swich off for electrical storms or vacations.

The others are probably excellent also but I didn't know much about them at the time and I felt I could get a better discount on the whole system if I got the main items in one place.

Just a thought, consider a 7 channel amp if you can biwire your main speakers or might go 7 channel one day. In hindsight I might have done that as my speakers demand biwiring.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Thanks Dan. I'm on my way to demo some Paradigm's & some others I'm sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis