Do I need a sound card for my HTPC???

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Hi: I'm close to building a HTPC was told today that the on board sound quailty is crap for the motherboard(for movie watching. & music listening too..True dobly HD,DTS_MA,ETC) I'm getting this.....motherboard....ASUS A88XM-A FM2+ DDR3 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) Chipset
.....here is the processor I'm getting....http://www.megacomputer.ca/index.php/main/Product/CPUA0...

I'm using a Yamaha RXA-1000 to run my home audio/video set-up. I want all the formats to play audio wise...so would just using a HDMI cable(from the HTPC to the RXA-1000) be ok or would the following sound card be a upgrade to the Yamaha's dac's??? Here is the card for my HTPC...http://www.megacomputer.ca/index.php/main/Product/SCAS0...

What I'm thinking is running a hdmi cable from my RXA=1000 to my HTPC will be the route to go to get all the surround formats to play from my PC to my home theaher system??Is this correct as I know the SPIF connections do not play the newer formats already mentioned earlier above!!

thanks for any help!!!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Big fat NO. HDMI is 100% digital - on board analog may be bad, but you're not going to use it at all.
Also forget about spdif - they don't support HD audio codecs.
One single cable - hdmi and you're all set.
Also consider buying Asus chromebox instead....

V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
if you don`t wanna spend a lot of money look at asus xonar

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
For HTPC, I think the best way to go is to use the Intel Ivy Bridge combined audio video processors.
I built an HTPC just over three years ago using the Ivy Bridge i5. I have been really pleased with it, especially since migrating to Windows 10.

In our other residence I have added an Intel NUC using the Ivy Bridge i5. If you are not a gamer the i5 is fine. If you are a gamer you might one to use the i7.

The Intel NUCs are a little spendy but their build quality is excellent. If you are like me then you will find these devices are your most used peripherals. I hate junk and low build quality devices. It is well worth taking the high road in my opinion.

I think Windows 10 and Ivy Bridge is the best available in the HT environment and that is my recommended choice for you.

My HTPC

The HTPC is the unit in the right rack above the grey UPS. The computer in the left rack on the UPS is my DAW. The blue unit is the DAC for it.

My Intel NUC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis