M

Missionman

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys

Been looking around for some time for DIY tube amp schematics, that are exactly what im wanting..
if anyone could point me in the right direction??

I want a 6v6 tubes amp, not just pre-amp, but main amp built in, so the enclosure would have RCA inputs and speaker outputs.. Basically a pre and main amp..

I need clear schematics, everything labeled out as to which rating components go where, and a key to what every symbol is..

And also a list of exactly everything i need would be fantastic..

As i will be aproaching this project as if i was a newbie..

I know a bit about electronics, have been soldering for many years, and understand basic principles of electronics and how they work etc..
But its the schematic symbols that confuse me, and knowing exactly what ratings to use etc..
Also which transformers would be good for it...

Please help..
I want to make a wacky looking, but beautifully sounding, sexy looking tube amp, but have got the foggies where to start :(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You do realize than most if not all DIY Tube amps are limited to 5-10w and sound somewhat louder you'd need very-very efficient speakers - 91db or more
In addition tube do color the sound (warm sound) - but some folks like it

In comparison DIY solid state amps much easier to build with more affordable parts. Typically much more robust and accurate...

Some links for your reading:
DIY AUDIO PROJECTS - Do-It-Yourself Hi-Fi for Audiophiles
DIY Vacuum Tube (Valve) Amplifier Projects - Hi-Fi Audio
DIY Solid State Hi-Fi Audio Projects
High End Audio MOSFET Amplifiers - Amplifier Modules - DIY Amp Modules - DIY Audio - Amp Kit
Solid State - diyAudio

p.s.: Why username? If you own Wharfedale and not Mission speakers?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I believe the other guys already gave you the websites that I would have pointed you to as well. Those sites are good for taking schematics and are meant for people that have some DIY experience, but if you are reasonably capable and determined, then those sites have very valuable info.

If you want something easier to start with, a kit is a good approach. Since the other guys already gave you info on the other sites, I will give you a couple of links for kits.

A couple of comments about tube amps: They are technically inferior to SS, some people like the colored sound though. They are typically less complex than SS, but they do use very high voltages, so be careful!

Bob Latino's Dynaco Clones, I built the ST-70 and it is all top-notch parts and construction. And, Bob answers emails the same day you send them for excellent support after the sale! Highly recommended:
tubes4hifi amplifier KITs page

Oddwatt, it is certainly interesting and I may have built one of these instead of my ST-70, but they didn't have the model I wanted to build available at the time I was wanting to build it:
OddWatt

Bottlehead, I built one of their Quickie Preamps. Nice build. I was somewhat disappointed with the customer service after the sale, my kit was missing a RCA jack, I sent an email and NEVER got a response. Poor customer service and the manual had a couple of mistakes too! They do have an active forum with many members too though.
Amplifiers for Loudspeakers | Bottlehead

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
The dynaco kits are nice and good power output if needed. Very proven design that works.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
You do realize than most if not all DIY Tube amps are limited to 5-10w and sound somewhat louder you'd need very-very efficient speakers - 91db or more
In addition tube do color the sound (warm sound) - but some folks like it

In comparison DIY solid state amps much easier to build with more affordable parts. Typically much more robust and accurate...

Some links for your reading:
DIY AUDIO PROJECTS - Do-It-Yourself Hi-Fi for Audiophiles
DIY Vacuum Tube (Valve) Amplifier Projects - Hi-Fi Audio
DIY Solid State Hi-Fi Audio Projects
High End Audio MOSFET Amplifiers - Amplifier Modules - DIY Amp Modules - DIY Audio - Amp Kit
Solid State - diyAudio

p.s.: Why username? If you own Wharfedale and not Mission speakers?
There are several tube amps with robust power now days.. Carver has some 350 wpc + available fyi

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are several tube amps with robust power now days.. Carver has some 350 wpc + available fyi
I was referring to DIY Tube amps.
There are certainly tube behemoths like Carver's stuff you'd mentioned with gobbles of power, but I highly doubt that these designs are A) cheap b) easy to build and c) available as schematics and/or DIY kits :p;)

L

Lower Tones

Audiophyte
old post, but for those interested, i had good luck with this simple schematic.
missionman, i think this might be what you are looking for. about 8 watts per channel (as measured, as best i could). only one channel shown in schematic.
i used a 6v6 for each channel, 5 tubes total including the 5u4gb rectifier, a 6sl7 driver for each channel, with a 6v6 output tube for each channel.
not sure how the attached will look. any questions just ask.
have fun, be safe. HIGH voltage.

Attachments

L

Lower Tones

Audiophyte
old post, but for those interested, i had good luck with this simple schematic.
missionman, i think this might be what you are looking for. about 8 watts per channel (as measured, as best i could). only one channel shown in schematic.
i used a 6v6 for each channel, 5 tubes total including the 5u4gb rectifier, a 6sl7 driver for each channel, with a 6v6 output tube for each channel.
not sure how the attached will look. any questions just ask.
have fun, be safe. HIGH voltage.
yes, i know it shows a 5y3 as rectifier, but i had a 5u4 on hand. :)

so should you need any further help here missionman, and if this schematic appeals to you, just ask. i think it's a great first build, and can be made to look pretty impressive through the use of topside transformers dressed with their end bells painted in a flat black wrinkle finish.
all resistors used were 1/2 watt with exception of the cathode resistors which used 2 watt flame proof (for all 4 audio tubes just for aesthetics).
i finished mine with a clear 1/2 thick plexiglass (i forget it's true trade nom but you know what i mean) bottom, under a scavenged and stripped old antique radio chassis. i riveted a piece of 1/16" sheet metal on top of the old chassis then painted the whole shebang flat black before i started the drilling process. you may get lucky and get an old chassis with the rca inputs already there. or, you could be as lot less cheap than i am and purchase a handsome brand new chassis from hammond manufacturing. in any event the see-through bottom has impressed many of my son's friends when he flips it over for a peek.
again, good luck in you build and STAY SAFE.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Lower Tones said:
yes, i know it shows a 5y3 as rectifier, but i had a 5u4 on hand. :)
:O Scandalous!

Hey, you know how this works. Pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

heatsink101

heatsink101

Audiophyte
Lol maybe just build a Vintage Fender Tube Amp into your trunk.

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
It's not a tube amp but this dual chip TPA3116 has a warm tube like sound. SQ is amazing and for the ebay price of $10.99 plus a $22 Pyramid regulated from Walmart online.

Massive threads abound ( diyaudio, AC and AK ) on this new chip from T.I. Not to be confused with your daddy's t-amp.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's not a tube amp but this dual chip TPA3116 has a warm tube like sound. SQ is amazing and for the ebay price of $10.99 plus a $22 Pyramid regulated from Walmart online.

Massive threads abound ( diyaudio, AC and AK ) on this new chip from T.I. Not to be confused with your daddy's t-amp.

I've seen you mention and post this T amp a couple times now. It had not hit my radar until then. Do you have some links for it? I would be interested in having a look-see.

I will make 1 comment right up front---A regulated power supply is a poor power supply choice for a POWER AMP! There are several technical reasons, but suffice to say that a linear un-regulated power supply is the superior choice for the power supply of a power amp.

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
The TPA 3116 is not a tripath and it's superior to any t-amp I've heard and I own most examples. If you search TPA3116 100X2 on ebay you'll see plenty of dual chip amps. They're all the same so get the cheaper one.

A regulated PSU is a big improvement over the SMPS lap top bricks you see with these small board amps. Here's a linear Astron I'm using with this TPA3116 but it cost six or seven times the price of the Pyramid.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The TPA 3116 is not a tripath and it's superior to any t-amp I've heard and I own most examples. If you search TPA3116 100X2 on ebay you'll see plenty of dual chip amps. They're all the same so get the cheaper one.

A regulated PSU is a big improvement over the SMPS lap top bricks you see with these small board amps. Here's a linear Astron I'm using with this TPA3116 but it cost six or seven times the price of the Pyramid.

LOL!

Well played, sir!;)

Yes, a regulated supply is a huge improvement over SMPS junk. But it is still inferior to an un-regulated supply for power amps.

Thanks for the info, I want to look into these a bit, mostly out of curiosity I suppose.

I've personally been doing a lot of work with the TI chips, check out my threads dedicated to the topic. You did mention that these are also TI chips, right?

I have more progress than what is indicated in the thread linked below....I need to go update that thread.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/new-chipamp-project-thread.92513/

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Here's the data sheet on the TPA3116 from T.I. - Gotta hear it to believe it

http://www.ti.com/product/tpa3116d2
Thanks!!!

Now I see why this one had not really hit my radar----it's a Class D topology.

For class D topology, SMPS does make some sense. Class D is already a similar animal as SMPS, more in common with SMPS design than classic class A/B design.

TI makes some really dang good audio chips! So, I absolutely believe your comments about this amp.

Did you check my link to my amp projects?

I did a 2x Parallel per Channel TI LM4780 class AB amp. Picked up a couple PCBs off ebay that were "close enough" to my design goals to let me use them with minimal mods / circuit bending. 625kV Toroidal TF, 36k uF caps per rail, PS in a separate chasis.

Easily do 100Wpc @8 ohms, continuous 20Hz - 20kHz

Honestly, I think this is the TOP DOG for chip amps!

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
slip you've got some very nice projects.

These boards are about as much fun as you can have with your pants on. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis