DIY subwoofer question...yes another one...

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
First off...the forums that are dedicated to building your own Sub woofer are awesome, i have been reading everything i could find for weeks....I have been contemplating building my own speakers/sub woofer for a long time...
Now i have the woodworking tools and budget to give this a good effort.
I currently have a Jamo E8sub.5 sub woofer, it sounds pretty good IMO...its a sealed unit...
receiver is yamaha RX675.
I listen to it in the basement, its finished, 18' X 18', carpet flooring,....50/50 music and movies...
But I would like to upgrade to 2 sub woofers...move the JAMO upstairs...and at this point i think its DIY time...building the cabinets will not be a problem.
I have built most of the furniture in my house...which is stickley/mission style furniture...

After reading tons of info...i found this thread here...by jinjuku.....

forums.audioholics.com/forums/diy-corner-tips-techniques/78575-modeled-infinty-reference-1260w

This sounds like a very nice system...like the idea of the values comparison of DIY vs commercial...pretty much why i built my own furniture...cant afford what i like..so i learned how to build it...
I just have a couple of questions...
1.The box was basically 21x21x21 in size ...can i change the dimensions to be a longer box instead of a cube...without messing it up...still have it be a front driver...
2. If there was a higher budget available up to $1200 would it really be a benefit to upgrade any of the components...

just looking for some info from the more knowledgeable people...

A person could easily fall into the paralysis through analysis with this...

thanks...

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've done the Dual Opposed with both the Infinity Reference and the Kappa 120.9w.

The 120.9w plays cleaner at low, loud frequency passages.

When I designed the Reference based sub it was more for use in the multiples and in that capacity it's hard to beat for the price.

You can change the box dimensions as long as the same volume is maintained and you want to keep the subs as close together as possible.

If you were able to do two of the Reference Dual Opposed and a modded Behringer iNuke 3000DSP you would have a very capable system in most consumer listening rooms.

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the info...
I look forward to the final product and listening to them...
I will definitely post progress pictures when i start the build...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just build it! You never know how something will sound until you try it. Those are great drivers as long as you don't tune the box too high you'll have a great sub. Now the next questions
Plywood or MDF.

I prefer plywood.
1. It's lighter.
2. It's more durable typically.
3. With the right technique you can simply finish the box.

I know technically you are supposed to get really good stuff. I'm cheap skate and use the Home Depot 13-ply. It works just fine for me.

There are multiple techniques for joining plywood boxes together. I normally use butt end joints with overhang and then route it down to rounded corners.

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Gonna use plywood...
I will use biscuits for all of the glue joints...it makes the joint really strong and really helps with alignment when gluing the panels together...my wife says i over engineer/build everything...
The home depot around here does not carry the 13 ply...i will need to check...
Plan to put a real nice finish on these...need to figure out the stain color...then many coats of tung oil....
will use these like end tables...

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
When you say tune the box too high...what does that mean...
Remember i am just a noob...learning all the time...
Plan to keep the volume the same as what Jinjuku designed, along with the slot port...
Will end up using the Kappa 120.9w drivers...
I am still debating on using BASH 300w plate amp or get a Crown external amp ...

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I just got a Crown XLS1500 after my Behringer broke for the second time and I love it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got a Crown XLS1500 after my Behringer broke for the second time and I love it.
+1. Don't get Behringer, Just get XLS1500 and it does not need any mods, accepts unbalanced input and has conventional speaker connectors

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
From what i have read...
The crown will have all of the power i need...and be cheaper then 2 300w BASH plate amps...with the adjustability...when i figure out how to do that...
The Kappa 120.9w can be run in 2 or 4 ohm mode...
The crown XLS1000 will have enough power for these...350w x 2 in 4 ohm, 550w x 2 in 2 ohm.....
It also appears to be easier to hook up to the receiver and subs...
RCA jack from the SUB out on the receiver into the amp, then speaker wires from the amp out to the subs...
If that's not accurate, please correct me...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
When you say tune the box too high...what does that mean...
Remember i am just a noob...learning all the time...
Plan to keep the volume the same as what Jinjuku designed, along with the slot port...
Will end up using the Kappa 120.9w drivers...
I am still debating on using BASH 300w plate amp or get a Crown external amp ...
For sealed subs you want a tuning frequency in the box that gives you a Qtc between .7 and .6 . This is accomplished by picking the right dimensions and stuffing in sealed operations. If you are following a design posted here you should be fine. When bracing a subwoofer remember it's for box strength so you don't need to go as overboard as you might in a full-range speaker. Remember you need to be air tight. The best glue for that is IMO PL Construction adhesive or liquid nails. Of course titebond is much easier to use and cleanup.

If you have corner clamps they are your friend.

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to use the ported design that jinjuku put up...with the slot port...
I believe its 4ft3......100ltr...
Pretty much the exact dimensions that jinjuku provided, except i'm making it less of a cube and more rectangle...same volume...
I already asked if the changing the dimensions was going to alter the performance, jinjuku said as long as the internal volume stays the same...no problem...
i have seen a couple of threads on the web, 4ft3 internal volume..ported...good to go...
I'm not knowledgeable enough to be designing sub woofer enclosures...so proven design is my option...
I am also using the Kappa 120.9w driver...with a crown XLS1000 or XLS1500 external amp....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm going to use the ported design that jinjuku put up...with the slot port...
I believe its 4ft3......100ltr...
Pretty much the exact dimensions that jinjuku provided, except i'm making it less of a cube and more rectangle...same volume...
I already asked if the changing the dimensions was going to alter the performance, jinjuku said as long as the internal volume stays the same...no problem...
i have seen a couple of threads on the web, 4ft3 internal volume..ported...good to go...
I'm not knowledgeable enough to be designing sub woofer enclosures...so proven design is my option...
I am also using the Kappa 120.9w driver...with a crown XLS1000 or XLS1500 external amp....
For a ported sub you want to make sure you keep the port length the proper distance. I suggest you cut dadoes for the slot port. It will make lining it up much easier.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
i recommend 1500 (or higher). 1000 has noticeably lesser in snr, thd and noise isolation.

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Good to know...
Will look on ebay for deals...and keep my eye out for specials...

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Jinjuku...here is a sample of the furniture i have made...

april 12 2004 130.jpg
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

WOW. I mean WOW. That is nice. Your sub is going to turn out great.

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Thank you...
Been doing wood working as a hobby for 30 years...
I have always like building things instead of buying them...especially if i can do a good job of it...

jinjuku

jinjuku

BTW, do the Dual Opposed Infinity Reference vs the Ported Kappa. Anyone that has had ears on has preferred the Dual Opposed SQ in addition to its an easier to build sub and less expensive ta boot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis