DIY Speaker Stand "filling" question

Audidual

Audidual

Audiophyte
I'm currently fabricating a pair of speaker stands for my Definitive Technology SM55 bookshelfs. The design (as pictured) sports a framed MDF construction with hollow inside (safe for the ribbing). My first instinct is to fill it with sand to both stabilize and deaden. However, my creative juices started flowing :D and now I want to explore other options. Does anyone have any ideas as to what other "fillings" could be used? I've moved from water to high/low density liquid concoctions and sound-sensitive lighting (on/off option). Would liquid be poor? Sealing is no issue. First post and hoping to really get started in the hi-fi audio world!

Further information:
  • There's still painter's tape on the acrylic front and needs a final sand/coat.
  • The rear has bi-amped banana keystones on top and bottom.
  • The very top will have a high-density foam pad (1/2" thick) and bottom has rubberized feet.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Those look awesome.

I would recommend using kitty litter or the like. Just wanna make them heavy!

Audidual

Audidual

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply GranteedEV! So just aim for heavy? With the addition of sand these should weigh in around 100-115 lbs. They shouldn't be going anywhere. :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yea. The main thing is to have a good decoupling from the main speaker to the stand - i would recommend latex foam.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Would liquid be poor? Sealing is no issue.
Filling with liquid sounds like a leak waiting to happen. No matter how much effort you put into sealing them, the liquid will eventually come out.

Stick with sand, kitty litter, BBs, lead shot, anything that is heavy and non-resonant, even spent uranium :rolleyes:.

Because sand and kitty litter absorb moisture, put the filling in small plastic bags. If you ever have to remove the filling, such as if you move, you'll be glad you took the time to bag the sand. You probably don't have to fill them to the top, bottom heavy may be good enough.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
If they were properly sealed, I would use a liquid like they use for lava lamps. How cool would that be... constant motion!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis