DIY Speaker cable (found a great deal)!!!

I

iihay

Audiophyte
Well I finally made some and they sound great. Had to get my wife to help though ;) Didn't think a homebrew cable would sound so much better than my early 90's super mega thick zip cable but it does and it is so cheap!

Iain

RTRoberts

RTRoberts

Enthusiast
What's the benefit of the braid in the design? I've read some other forums of people using Home Depot wire as opposed to the CAT5. Can you really notice a difference in the braid design vs. say the normal 12 AWG speaker wire I have set up with my system now?

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
Well I finally made some and they sound great.
Iain
Congrats, man. I made a pair about a year ago and they are great cables. I made one of them with all the orange and brown pairs and the other with the green and blues, so my left cable is orange-ish and my right is blue-ish.

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
What's the benefit of the braid in the design?
from Chris VH's website:
"Symmetrical field interactions: By using the braiding technique described, it substantially reduces any asymmetrical field interactions since no pair (or wire) "rides" on either the inside or outside of the cable more than any other pair/wire."

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Hey guys,

I had forgotten about this thread. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying all their cable making. I am currently undertaking the project of making a new cable for my Ultrasone 2500 headphones.

If anyone has any suggestions on a decent type of cable to use please post your opinions. At the moment I am trying to decide between Canare star quad or silver plated copper. Cheers!!

P.S. My original DIY cables are still running strong and sound great on my new Def Tech 7006's. :D:D:D:D

G

gorillacooch

Enthusiast
Hey Mudcat, how much would you charge to custom build me those CAT 5 speaker cables? What about using CAT 6? Would that make it better?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay,

So in the search to be different and find something very unique I have decided to make my own speaker wire. I am going to be doing a Cat5 design (there is a link to the instructions in my sig). I have been looking around for a good deal on some Belden Cat5 cable (westlake electronics had good deals but I wanted to see if I could find anything better). Browsing through ebay I came across a guy who has a lot of High Quality Belden cable (part numbers 1700A and 1701A, I am going for the Plenum 1701 myself). Anyway, I am going to buy 100 meters (328 ft) from the guy for $30 plus shipping!!!! That is an amazing bargain. So if anyone is interested in making their own speaker cable this is a great cheap way to do it (if you have the time). I am going to get some heatshrink from the local Home Depot (they actually have a good price on some quality stuff) and I will be buying GLS Locking Bananas to square off the connector part of it (if you have not heard of these bananas they are really great and amazingly strong).

So this is my current project until I have enough money saved to get myself an SVS or HSU sub.
That price sounds like the cable was stolen, That's not a regular price for that kind.

G

gorillacooch

Enthusiast
Hey Mudkat, you should start your own company if those cables are as good as you say.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis