DIY Speaker cable (found a great deal)!!!

1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
Had some free time friday and gave it a try.

I had a hard time trying to keep your pattern going with 4 of the same cables. Most of my time was spent untangling the cables behind me; most of the cables I braid are no more than 6 feet and contain only 3. I came up with this pattern which was very easy to do with 4 identical cables. Curious to see how they sound, will use spades on one end and the gls locking plugs on the avr side.
Cable specs: 13 feet each, cat5 350mhz, 4 pairs, 24 awg

Attachments

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
All your cables look like long hard pieces of whip cream. That or snakes.....I hate snakes......:rolleyes:

Looks good guys,

you should start your own company..

SheepStar

1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
Hello Mudcat

I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to online. I have been using cat6 for the ISCSI Raid farms. Would cat6 offer any advantage over cat5 for audio? Cat6 has large reduction in noise, higher bandwidth and quite a few other improvements. I have never worked with audio, only moving large amounts of data. I’m unsure if audio sent over cat5 can exceed its standards?
Thank you
Jason

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
1khpsupra said:
Would cat6 offer any advantage over cat5 for audio?
If you use the CAT 6 the way I use it (i.e. just braid it all together keeping all eight wires in one CAT 5 cable together) most likely not. If you seperate all the wires after braiding or twisting and keep solids as (+) and stripped as (-), you may expect a difference because of the channel seperation within the CAT 6 itself (the spider down the middle that seperates the four twisted pairs). I would expect lower capacitance and higher inductance and without measuring anything would have no idea how it may or may not sound any different.

1khpsupra said:
I’m unsure if audio sent over cat5 can exceed its standards?
When using CAT 5/6 as speaker cable, the only standards you need to worry about is WAF not UL.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Sheep said:
All your cables look like long hard pieces of whip cream. That or snakes.....I hate snakes......:rolleyes:

Looks good guys,

SheepStar
Was this supposed to be a compliment or an insult on the look of the cables. Personally I think my cables look darn good for what I had to work with. Not to mention the fact that they sound amazing.

I went to the local HiFi shop and got to talking to one of the employees there; I mentioned that I had made my own cable and he asked me to bring it up to the shop and see what it sounds like compared to the Kimber cables that they sell. He matched the cables up against Kimber Kables very high-end cable (I think it was the 8TC, the purple and black braided cable) and there was no true difference in sound quality at all. In fact, the highs from my DIY cable were more laid back and sounded more natural in my opinion. The guy was really impressed with the outcome (he thought the Kimber Kable would win hands down). I think the retail price this store was asking for a 10 ft pair is around $650 with genuine Kimber banana plugs and everything. My cable for a 11 ft pair ended up costing approximately $40 when the connectors are included in the price!;)

Just thought I would give some perspective on the performance of Cat5 DIY cable.

Oh yeah, here is a review of the Kimber 8TC cable: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=419

1khpsupra

1khpsupra

Audioholic Intern
Definetly a compliment from my perspective.

Sheep said:

Looks good guys,

SheepStar

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Okay,

I finally got my connectors in the mail the other day and I finally was able to finish off my speaker cables. I hooked them up and they sound amazing. I was using a 9-pair Cat5 set of cables and these are much better. I really noticed an improvement in the highs (they seem much more natural) and the lows are not as forced as before. I am very pleased with them. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Looking Good!!!

I made mine, well one of them but I only used 6 CAT5 cables - I have to make the other. Your's is 9, right? I think I did mine right...

Attachments

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
No. Mine is 6 Cat5 cables, then I stripped the white housing off of one cable and used two of the twisted pairs on each cable to hold the braided white cables together.

Yours looks good by the way.

A

astrodabu

Audiophyte
Jebus, it's a speaker cable revolution. Thanks for the hard work comparing all these things Mudcat. I dropped all my money buying some nice energy reference speakers and this provides me and others a great opportunity to have high quality speaker cables at a low price.

I gots some questions for you DIYers. forgive me if they've been answered already.

1) What about shielding all these self-made cables? Anytime you buy an exotic cable, they talk about the magnetic shielding.

2) Differences in Cat5 cables: so there are in fact hi-qual and low-qual cat5 cables? I just grabbed like 48ft from work and made a v5 design (3 braided pairs). But now I'm questioning whether I used crappy cat5 cables.

3) Is using banana plugs more a cosmetic and convenience things vs. a improvement in sound quality?

4) Just to verify what everyone is diong at the ends, are you all just taking the numerous exposed 24 awg wires and group them into "Colors" and "Colors w/ White Stripes?"

5) Tight braid vs. loose: In the one v5 test cable I did, the 3 pairs themselve are tightly done, but braiding those 3 was pretty loose (probably because I still haven't come up with an efficient way to braid). Should the braiding be as tight as possible?

P

philh

Full Audioholic
astrodabu said:
Jebus, it's a speaker cable revolution. Thanks for the hard work comparing all these things Mudcat. I dropped all my money buying some nice energy reference speakers and this provides me and others a great opportunity to have high quality speaker cables at a low price.

I gots some questions for you DIYers. forgive me if they've been answered already.

1) What about shielding all these self-made cables? Anytime you buy an exotic cable, they talk about the magnetic shielding.

2) Differences in Cat5 cables: so there are in fact hi-qual and low-qual cat5 cables? I just grabbed like 48ft from work and made a v5 design (3 braided pairs). But now I'm questioning whether I used crappy cat5 cables.

3) Is using banana plugs more a cosmetic and convenience things vs. a improvement in sound quality?

4) Just to verify what everyone is diong at the ends, are you all just taking the numerous exposed 24 awg wires and group them into "Colors" and "Colors w/ White Stripes?"

5) Tight braid vs. loose: In the one v5 test cable I did, the 3 pairs themselve are tightly done, but braiding those 3 was pretty loose (probably because I still haven't come up with an efficient way to braid). Should the braiding be as tight as possible?
Two cables made with CAT5, one with a mix of CAT5 and CAT5e. If you were to believe that speakers could be driven with coat hangers, probably doesn't make a bit of diff. I did my cable a little differently, by removing the exterior insulation and braided three CAT5 cables together. Stripped and soldered the colored ends together and stripped ends together. Right now they are attached to a screw clamp banana plug. Braiding done about as tight as I wanted to :) Not too thight, not too lose. I did notice a difference on the high frequency from the old zip cord, and in fact did several DnBT to confirm an improvement. Maybe my imagination, maybe not, but the cable was free, it looks cute, kept me out of trouble for a few hours, and adds to the system talking points :)

A

astrodabu

Audiophyte
philh said:
I did my cable a little differently, by removing the exterior insulation and braided three CAT5 cables together. Stripped and soldered the colored ends together and stripped ends together.
Thanks for the picture and explanation. How long did that take you?

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
I did one set of cables like you said. I stripped the insulation off of them and braided 3 twisted pairs together. Actually what I did was a bit more complicated. I braided the 3 twisted pairs together, but I did this six times (instead of two). I then made a larger braid out of the already braided cables. I do not have a picture of them on my computer right now, but I will take a pic and show everyone.

It is basically the same thing that philh did, but a little bigger. I did use the 9 twisted pair cables for about three weeks and they sounded very nice; however, I will have to say that the large cables I have hooked up to my mains right now are much better in my opinion. I will post some pictures soon and show both cables side by side so that everyone can see the difference.

P

philh

Full Audioholic
astrodabu said:
Thanks for the picture and explanation. How long did that take you?
Probably about 45 minutes to braid with my wife's help. Another 45 minutes to separate and strip all the F* wires! Found the easiest way to strip was wire cutters gently held closed and pull the wire across the blades. I did this while watching a TV show. Soldering took longer to get the iron and solder out then to actually solder. In all, it was a fun exercise that may or may not have made a difference, and didn't cost me more then my time and electricity.

T

troy_xp

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I've been trolling this forum for a while and finally got inspired to try my hand at CAT 5 speaker cables but I have one ciritical question:

I want to wire for my HT system (7.1) - this translates to around 55 ft/per speaker runs for rears (after hiding wire etc). Is that distance too great for this type of wire?

I know nothing about speaker cables but before I spend countless hours on this project I just want to make sure the distance (cable length) is not a factor.

Thanks
--Troy

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I've been using CAT5 braided speaker cables for several years. Mine are the full bore 9 twisted pair set. I've been very happy with them and they do look good.:cool:

gychang

gychang

Audiophyte
I didn't mean "break them in" like you think I did. What I meant is that I cannot wait to get some good use out of them. I am sorry if I mislead you down the "snake oil" path. Hehe

edwelly - This is how I cut the cable:

1. Measure a 12 ft length of the Cat5 cable (this is the cable with the outer covering still over the four 24 AWG twisted pairs).

2. Once the 12 ft length is measured; measure and cut 11 more lengths just like the first one. For a total of 12 lengths of Cat5 cable (with the outer covering still over the four 24 AWG twisted pairs).

3. Take three lengths of the cut cable and braid them together (you will end up with about a 10.5 ft length of braided cable). I left 1.5 ft on each end of the cable unbraided so that I had plenty of cable to work with when I strip the ends.

4. Once you have braided the first length of cable you should have 9 lengths of 12 ft cable left. Take three lengths and braid them together like the lengths in step three. Now you have six lengths left; take three and braid them together and then braid the final three lengths together.

5. After all of this, you will end up with four individual braids of cable that are each around 10.5 ft long.

6. Next is the part where you actually strip the outer covering off of the Cat5 wire and use the small 24 AWG twisted pairs. The cable that I bought was white on the outside and on the inside consisted of four pairs of 24 AWG wire. The inside pairs were colored as follows: green-white, orange-white, blue-white, purple (brown)-white. The wire that I bought had bonded pairs so the only hard part about stripping the wire is seperating each of the bonded pairs. Since I was going to be using the small 24 AWG wire as a brace to hold the larger braided strands together I went ahead and cut a 15 ft length of Cat5 cable and stripped the outer white covering off of it to reveal the small paired wires inside.

7. So after I stripped the outer white covering off of the Cat5 cable, I seperated the small paired, colored wires. There were four of them, but I only needed one more strand to braid together my other larger braids (remember, the big white braids). So to add some color to the cable I chose to pair the green with the brown and the orange with the blue.

8. Then I put two of the large braided cables in my clamp and also fastened the two bonded pairs (I treated the two bonded pairs as one individual wire) in the clamp. Then I braided them and tried to make the braid as tight and neat as possible.

9. Once the cables were all braided I taped up the ends to fasten them together until I have time to strip off the white covering and seperate all the individual wires into two sets of wires (one set is the white wires and the other set is all the colored wires; for me the white wires are twisted together and this is the negative side and the colored wires are twisted together and this is the positive side).

I know that is very long and probably overkill for everyone, but I was bored. I hope this helps and if anyone has any questions just drop me a PM. I will post some pictures of the final product once I get all my connectors and heat shrink on the cables. Cheers!!
I can follow this, thanks,

gychang

G

geasap

Audiophyte
Nice DIY cables

Nice DIY cables! Check out this site for protecting them....

ChordSavers.com

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis