DIY Sealed 15" or 18"??

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I am looking to do a pair of sealed either 15" or 18" subs for my HT to replace my ED A2-300's. I am trying to decide whether to do a pair of 15" Titanics or the RS series 18" from parts express? Which will yield more output and better SQ? I know the excusion on the Titanics is better than the RS but the 18" is larger in size....What do you guys think? I am likely going with another of the flat packs from DIYSoundgroup after the ease of construction on the sealed 10" subs project that I am currently in process on. Do you have another other suggestions for drivers in a sealed box. My Max Budget for each driver is $250 a driver.

Thanks!!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The HO is definite winner.

Data-Bass

You will get usable bass very deep if you build the box properly and place them optimally. With dual subs you'll be capable of reference peak in room at 20hz.

A

Actran

Audioholic
Wow. And just when I thought I was out of hobby projects. I was considering buying a second sub for my system. I currently use a single EMPTek 1010i (Dual 10, ported). Based on that article, that's a $400 dollar sub, which is also about what I could buy another EMP 1010i for. I'm a fairly handy DIYer, so, which is the better option? Another EMPTek 1010i or building this bad boy? Does the pice tag include the amp or just the driver?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. And just when I thought I was out of hobby projects. I was considering buying a second sub for my system. I currently use a single EMPTek 1010i (Dual 10, ported). Based on that article, that's a $400 dollar sub, which is also about what I could buy another EMP 1010i for. I'm a fairly handy DIYer, so, which is the better option? Another EMPTek 1010i or building this bad boy? Does the pice tag include the amp or just the driver?
Either of these subs would pretty much own the EMPTek. We are talking a DIY sub vs a commercial sub from a non sub-oriented company.

You would need to purchase a pro amp which is around 300 dollars, but you can drive 2 subs with one pro amp.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
4.5 sounds like a good tuning for the Dayton, but make sure you stuff it with Mineral Wool. You'll need to wrap the mineral wool with cloth.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
OP,

What size is your room. Another option is to go with four sealed Dayton 15" DVC 385-88. They are $119 each shipped. Two of these subs will model about the same as a single Dayton 18" HO, but the benefit would be having four subs vs two giving your smoother bass response.

Just an option to consider.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
My room is very large....it is about 20' by 40' with 12' ceilings....however it can be closed off and is generally closed when I am watching movies. The biggest issue with 4 subs that I see is running the wires all the way back to the far wall. Not to mention building 4 boxes vs 2 boxes will significantly increase my budget cost and also I would assume I would need another amp to power them all.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My room is very large....it is about 20' by 40' with 12' ceilings....however it can be closed off and is generally closed when I am watching movies. The biggest issue with 4 subs that I see is running the wires all the way back to the far wall. Not to mention building 4 boxes vs 2 boxes will significantly increase my budget cost and also I would assume I would need another amp to power them all.
Two subs are pretty close to being as good as four subs in equalizing in room response according to Harman research. Plus you get more depth and likely a better tune with the 18" subs. Of course you can always add two more 18" ones down the line to upgrade. :D

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
These "flat packs" from DIYSoundGroup say they're all out of stock...is that just a website error. The price for the quality of bracing, 3/4" mdf, etc looks great. Great for us guys who haven't built up our tool collection yet.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Yes, exactly....I bought 2 of the 1.25 cubic foot units and am redoing my cabinets for my 10" Eclipse subs....you can't beat the price and they are really easy to assemble and fit perfectly..... and if you send them the dimensions on your driver they will make the cutouts to your specific driver size. I have no tools to effectively make my own cabinets and do not plan to spend the money for all the necesary tools either.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Very cool! Another issue I have is finishing. That Piano Black cabinet at PE is nice, but a little steep at $240. Maybe not though. Haven't searched around much and I'd assume Piano Black is a PITA to do

I'll be watching over this thread for sure

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I took my 1.25 cubic foot cabinets to an autobody paint shop for finishing.....I have a thread on it in the DIY area.... I had them fill all gaps with autobody filler sand and paint to my desired autobody finish for $100 per cabinet. So when it is all said an done will be all in fully constructed with polyfill, speaker posts and full finish for around $350 total for both boxes. I will should have a sweet looking finish also. I whet with a dark rusty/brown color with a high pearl content and some metalic flaking... I will get them back this weekend.

If these come out as good as I expect I will do the dual 18's next.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Very cool! Another issue I have is finishing. That Piano Black cabinet at PE is nice, but a little steep at $240. Maybe not though. Haven't searched around much and I'd assume Piano Black is a PITA to do

I'll be watching over this thread for sure
It's all a matter of patience, time, and practice. It is by no means easy. I know I need to work on my finishing skills.

A

Actran

Audioholic
Is the bash 300 amp that comes with the kits on DIYSoundGroup a decent amp?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis