lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My initial concern was that I might regret spending this and end up wanting something like a HSU VTF-15h mk2 anyway, but after doing more research it seems like I'm now leaning towards the direction of spending a bit more for amp and dsp. As long as it leaves me with the option to later go with other DIY or passive options. I've got my eye on the Dayton Ultimax 18" now if I want something more down the line.

So given this direction, I'd want an amp that is capable of driving a bridged load of 4 ohms which rules out the Crown XLI series. Out of what's left would I be better off going with an XLS series and a miniDSP or getting the XTI series and using it's built in DSP?
I'd see what the pricing difference is on the XTi vs XLS/minidsp and research fan noise on the XTi, too. Why judge an amp on it's bridged capabilities? I'd want the amp to handle two subs down the line for economy's sake, YMMV. I ran my XLS bridged at 4ohm just fine on the first one, but now run a sub on each channel...the extra 3dB or so are made up in terms of multiple subs...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd see what the pricing difference is on the XTi vs XLS/minidsp and research fan noise on the XTi, too. Why judge an amp on it's bridged capabilities? I'd want the amp to handle two subs down the line for economy's sake, YMMV. I ran my XLS bridged at 4ohm just fine on the first one, but now run a sub on each channel...the extra 3dB or so are made up in terms of multiple subs...
I guess I really wasn't thinking of future expansion to two subs. That's part of why I started this thread, for the help of the more knowledgeable people on the DIY front. :D

In that case I could start with any of the crown series and the IDMAX wired to 8 ohms in a sealed box and add the minidsp later if needed/wanted/desired.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
XLS with minidsp would be much more economical and more functional

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Pulled the IDMax out of storage yesterday and rewired it in series. It all looks good. Pretty sure this driver weighs more than my supercube!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a reason you would suggest the xls over the xli if you are adding a miniDSP?
I know the XLS has very very quiet fans, not so sure about the XLi, have seen conflicting info, they're also different classes of amp with different weight. Just a matter of what you want I suppose....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So I'm thinking that I will probably go with the XLS 1502, which will have plenty of power for this sub as well as whatever I want to do down the line.

Also, some pics of the IDMax:

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I wish I could find the full thiele/small parameters for the driver. I called the manufacturer's number, but they apparently bought the company after this driver came out and don't have access to the info from this model. My google-fu has returned nothing either so far.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you checked winisd (or other software) to see if your driver is in their database?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Have you checked winisd (or other software) to see if your driver is in their database?
Winisd has the first version in their database. I didn't find any info with sonosub. Not sure what other software there is to check with?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Crown XLS 1502 will arrive on Friday. Can't wait to get this 12" in action. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bass box pro and boxnotes come to mind...or maybe trying the diy subforum to see if anyone can help...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Looks good. What wattage are you giving it?
The Crown is rated at 1050 watts for 8 ohms bridged. I believe that I left the SC running a bit hot in that measurement. I've watched a couple of movies and shows that the SC would audibly complain on and I haven't heard a complaint from the IDMax. Looking forward to getting a miniDSP as my next step for some fine tuning, I'd like to bump up that 20-40 Hz range a bit.

Eng-399

Eng-399

Audioholic Intern
Got it all hooked up and ran Audyssey. Here's a comparison between it and the SC4000,
Can you show just the sub like 10hz to 120hz. Theres a lot of nulls and peaks have you done anything after this to help get a flatter graph. You could move the sub around a little to see the best response.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I've done the sub crawl and it is in the best sounding spot. I've run Audyssey, but that's about it until I've got the $$$ to pick up a mini-dsp. I'll post a screenshot of just the sub frequencies later on.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I wish I could find the full thiele/small parameters for the driver. I called the manufacturer's number, but they apparently bought the company after this driver came out and don't have access to the info from this model. My google-fu has returned nothing either so far.
Greetings!

As I am using the BassBox Pro 6 software, I've just checked as to whether I could find some Thiele/Small parameters in the database for your Image Dynamics sub.

Well, I found some for the ID12 D2 V2 driver. They are not complete and here is what I have:

Fs: 19Hz Qms: 4.5 Vas: 5.368 cf Xmax: 11.5mm Sd: 530 sq cm

Sensitivity: @1w (Parallel VC): 89dB

Qes: Ind: 0.68 Paral: 0.34 Series: 0.34

Re: Ind: 1 P: 0.9 S: 3.6

Z: Ind: 2 P: 1 S: 4

Pe Ind: 125 P: 250 S: 250

Qts: Ind 0.59 P: 0.316 S: 0.316

I hope that this helps you for your new project. Please let know how it evolves. I'm here to help should you have questions.

Cheers,

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis