NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hello everyone. So I've been considering repurposing an old 12" car audio sub I have sitting in the attic right now. I've run some winisd simulations and it looks like it would give me more output than my current SC4000. It is currently in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure. I'd initially like to try it in that, but may consider putting it into a ported sonotube in the future if I feel like the sealed box doesn't work out too well. It is an older IDMax (I believe v.2) with dual 2 ohm voice coils.

My questions are as follows:

1) What are my external amplification options? I know that there are a number of plate amps available on parts express, but what else is there that I could possibly use?

2) What are my options for at the minimum adding a low pass filter? (If I do go ported)

3) Is there anything else I need to consider?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might look at the Behringer iNuke DSP amps, they will have all the power that driver can handle and they allow you to easily put in filters as well.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Shady. Are there also any crown amps that have DSP built in? I'd prefer an amp that isn't silver since it will most likely be visible. :eek:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Crown XLS Drivecore 2 amps have DSP abilities with all kinds of filter options. Check em out at parts express.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
OK, so the DSP on the behringer seems much MUCH more useful. The crown DSP seems to be limited to only functioning as a crossover with it's lowest available cutoff frequency being 30 HZ. If i do go ported I'd want the option to set a high-pass around 18-20 hz to prevent excessive cone travel below the tuning frequency. Guess I'll have to live with the silver. ;)

Now, how would I patch the signal into the behringer from my AVR? The denon only has RCA outputs for the subs while the inuke only has XLR and 1/4" inputs. Would something like this RCA to mono plug adapter work?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'll ask, what sub? DT Subs are not serious Subs, except one they use to make

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Crown XLS Drivecore 2 amps have DSP abilities with all kinds of filter options. Check em out at parts express.
The XLS amps afaik don't have the low frequency high pass filters needed for the ported enclosures (lowest frequency for the filters is 30hz, but an improvement over the original XLS Drive Core gen 1 like I use where that was 50hz), for that sort of comprehensive dsp you need to go to a different line of Crown amps or add a minidsp. The XLS dsp is more about providing active crossover between a bass driver and a higher frequency driver. The iNuke series has the comprehensive filters needed, tho.

Seems NIN came to this conclusion also, while I started the post and made coffee and looked at some manuals, lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do you feel about fan noise on the iNuke, tho?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'll ask, what sub? DT Subs are not serious Subs, except one they use to make
I'd be replacing the sub in my signature, a supercube4000, with an older Image Dynamics 12" IDMax that I have in the attic.

The SC4000's output pretty much falls off a cliff below 28hz, simulations suggest I would get much more usable response down to 20hz with the IDMax.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that has me a bit concerned as well. I need to do a bit more research and see how noticeable it is.
They're fairly loud and modifications to the fan have had varying results. Depends where your amp is located; in an isolated rack vs your living room....my amps have been used in open stands/racks near listening areas so went with the XLS and minidsp...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
They're fairly loud and modifications to the fan have had varying results. Depends where your amp is located; in an isolated rack vs your living room....my amps have been used in open stands/racks near listening areas so went with the XLS and minidsp...
Yeah, mine is going to be in the living room as well.

An XLS and a minidsp is more money than I'd really like to spend right now. This idea is mainly to get me better sound on the cheap.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, mine is going to be in the living room as well.

An XLS and a minidsp is more money than I'd really like to spend right now. This idea is mainly to get me better sound on the cheap.
What's the budget?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What's the budget?
The lower the better to get me into something improved. Below $300 would be ideal. Closer to $500 and I'd rather save up for a HSU VTFh

And how many watts did you use in winISD? You can get some plate amps that have the DSP stuff you're looking for, but it would depend on wattage.
I used 500w in my winisd simulation. Which plate amps feature dsp?

I really need to check which specific model of speaker it is. The more I think about it, the more I think it may be the dual 4 ohm voice coil version since I was using 2 channels of a 4 channel amp bridged to drive it. So I'd be able to present either a 2 or 8 ohm speaker load.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The lower the better to get me into something improved. Below $300 would be ideal. Closer to $500 and I'd rather save up for a HSU VTFh

I used 500w in my winisd simulation. Which plate amps feature dsp?

I really need to check which specific model of speaker it is. The more I think about it, the more I think it may be the dual 4 ohm voice coil version since I was using 2 channels of a 4 channel amp bridged to drive it. So I'd be able to present either a 2 or 8 ohm speaker load.
This one is 250w, but they for some reason jump to 1200w and 2400w.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm, I'd have to get in touch with Dayton to see if it could drive a 2 ohm load. And the subsonic filter's lowest cutoff frequency is 25 hz (not ideal if I do go ported).

Seems like a silly disparity to go from 250w to 1200w with nothing in between.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OK, so the DSP on the behringer seems much MUCH more useful. The crown DSP seems to be limited to only functioning as a crossover with it's lowest available cutoff frequency being 30 HZ. If i do go ported I'd want the option to set a high-pass around 18-20 hz to prevent excessive cone travel below the tuning frequency. Guess I'll have to live with the silver. ;)

Now, how would I patch the signal into the behringer from my AVR? The denon only has RCA outputs for the subs while the inuke only has XLR and 1/4" inputs. Would something like this RCA to mono plug adapter work?
several members mentioned behringer's amp fan is very noisy and QC leaves to be desired. If you want quality and don't mind paying premium, get cheap and powerful crown amp and minidsp. you'll have a mountain more options and tweaks anyhow

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
several members mentioned behringer's amp fan is very noisy and QC leaves to be desired. If you want quality and don't mind paying premium, get cheap and powerful crown amp and minidsp. you'll have a mountain more options and tweaks anyhow
My initial concern was that I might regret spending this and end up wanting something like a HSU VTF-15h mk2 anyway, but after doing more research it seems like I'm now leaning towards the direction of spending a bit more for amp and dsp. As long as it leaves me with the option to later go with other DIY or passive options. I've got my eye on the Dayton Ultimax 18" now if I want something more down the line.

So given this direction, I'd want an amp that is capable of driving a bridged load of 4 ohms which rules out the Crown XLI series. Out of what's left would I be better off going with an XLS series and a miniDSP or getting the XTI series and using it's built in DSP?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis