Disney-Marvel Studio's MCU: The Crash of a Media Empire

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
This video from Critical Drinker is on point to supplement Wayde's awesome article:
I love that guy! Totally agree on having to fail, learn, and grow in order to actually succeed.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I love that guy! Totally agree on having to fail, learn, and grow in order to actually succeed.
Yeah the Critical Drinker is my favorite movie reviewer. I love his whole drunk act theme. Not only are his reviews good but he usually has me laughing at something he says or does in his reviews.

I never realized but he's actually a pretty dang good professional writer and is the author of the Ryan Drake series

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Barbie and Oppenheimer doing extremely well should tell you that nobody is interested in superhero movies.

I disagree that good stories would not sell it. Comics would not have been around that long without good stories. Things were getting a bit stale and then they came out with Black Panther and Deadpool and those sort of picked things up again, because they were different and fun. Once they found that formula that worked, they thought they could just slap a fresh can of paint and costumes on and it would continue to sell (ala Disney). Disney didn't invent this, but they could probably patent it lol. And like I said in the other thread, they also proved it only goes so far before people move on to something fresh.

Every version of Fantastic Four has been awful, so the new reboot during this less than stellar period was not looking promising.
My 16yo son went and saw Barbie. Said it was a dumpster fire of emasculating man hating woke shitt. Didn’t have much to do with “barbie” from what I could tell. Too bad…
I do agree with what you(and others) have been saying. Imo mcu with all of its wacky side stories and offshoots just watered everything down. I think if they stuck to the script, we’d have had a longer run before the tires went flat.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Same problem as always. Stupid writers/directors = stupid movies. :D

A great writer and great director could have easily turned Wonder Woman 1984 from being one of the dumbest movies of all times to being one of the best. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Same problem as always. Stupid writers/directors = stupid movies. :D

A great writer and great director could have easily turned Wonder Woman 1984 from being one of the dumbest movies of all times to being one of the best. :D
Probably hard to find and may cost more.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
On the strong women trope, one that always annoyed me was Ziva from NCIS in this fight. I should mention, her male opponent was given a super-soldier serum which apparently drove him nuts.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I think it's very informative that every movie that did well this summer was not a franchise or blockbuster story.
Agreed! And thanks for your kind words on the article. I feel exactly the same about Star Wars, Star Trek and others. When I watch the Star Wars saga with my kids, I left out the sequels, I don't even consider them part of it. I love all kinds of movies, including some franchises. But Hollywood would do well slowing down on blockbuster franchises.

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
Disney has forgotten who their audience is and it has cost them dearly. As for MCU, I enjoy the three Iron Man movies, the three Guardians movies, Black Widow, and the first Thor. Other than that, I really do not watch any of them though we own them all.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I've seen all the Marvel movies, and of course the drop in quality the last few years is pretty severe.
One funny thing though, except for the first Iron Man (cause it was new and different at the time), I've never watched any of them twice.
Once was enough...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched Winter Soldier twice, it was good. Most of the rest, one was definitely enough and for many of the new ones, once was pushing it.

I think one issue is, these people who are writing these new films are not fans, have not read a single comic ever, and don't give a rats @ss about what made Marvel or DC what they are.

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I watched Winter Soldier twice, it was good. Most of the rest, one was definitely enough and for many of the new ones, once was pushing it.

I think one issue is, these people who are writing these new films are not fans, have not read a single comic ever, and don't give a rats @ss about what made Marvel what it was.
I watch parts of Winter Soldier over and over...the whole scene on the bypass/overpass was pure genius.

M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
There is a school of thought that Disney eventually turns everything it acquires into poop:
  • Pixar has not made a good movie since...
  • The Star Wars franchise has devolved...
  • Marvel comic book films make less and less sense
  • ESPN constantly overbids for sports related franchises and tries to pass those costs off to your cable\satellite\streaming provider and the consumer

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
There is a school of thought that Disney eventually turns everything it acquires into poop:
  • Pixar has not made a good movie since...
  • The Star Wars franchise has devolved...
  • Marvel comic book films make less and less sense
  • ESPN constantly overbids for sports related franchises and tries to pass those costs off to your cable\satellite\streaming provider and the consumer
That’s what happens when you try to industrialize art.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And here they now want more money to write crap. And today, reality TV "stars" feels they are entailed to more money as well.
Yeah, I think if they are good writers, they deserve the money - just like how all good workers deserve more money.

Crappy writers- which are the MAJORITY of them - don’t deserve a writing job and should do something else. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I think if they are good writers, they deserve the money - just like how all good workers deserve more money.

Crappy writers- which are the MAJORITY of them - don’t deserve a writing job and should do something else. :D
Unfortunately, these days the bad writers & screen writers out number the good ones or its the producers and directors and investors hosing up all of these TV shows and movies by making changes,.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis