Dipole vs Bipole vs Direct Radiator Surround Speakers: What do you prefer?

What is the best type of surround speaker?

• Direct Radiator or Monopole

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Dipole (drivers out of phase)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Bipole (all drivers in phase)

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Hybrid (dipole/bipole) or manually configurable

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
A

Art Slartibart

Audiophyte
Also interesting are the omnipolar speakers that Mirage makes. Give a very nice ambient sound.

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
I just got a pair of Energy C-R3 surrounds. They have side-firing 2-inch midrange drivers that can be switched between bipole and dipole, adjusted in level and turned off for monopole operation. I haven't decided which I prefer. They both sound fine. I got them because I have to place my surrounds in the back instead of the proper place on the side walls, so I wanted something that would send some sound off to the sides.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Also interesting are the omnipolar speakers that Mirage makes. Give a very nice ambient sound.
Yeah! Seriously, I am miffed! ;)
Don't omnidirectional speakers get any love?
These are my surrounds (Mirage OMD-5):

At the top is a reflector for the dome tweeter below it. The reflector reflects sound 360 degrees, but is more open towards the front.
Below the reflector is the "tweeter pod". In addition to housing the tweeter, the lower face of it acts as a reflector for the sealed midrange driver.
Because of room placement restrictions, mine are mounted upside down (as suggested by manufacturer when mounting above ear level) about 6'-6" off of floor.
Thanks to dkane for the great photos!

I

iMak

Audiophyte
Can somebody tell me whether the Jamo C10 SUR is Dipole or Bipole?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hard to tell from reading their description. It says "Neutral Phase Surround Technology." WTH does that mean? I might take it to mean it's a monopole but who knows?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can somebody tell me whether the Jamo C10 SUR is Dipole or Bipole?
It has to be a bi-pole. Those drivers are in one sealed cabinet. To be a bi-pole the two sides would have to be 180 degrees out of phase and the speaker drivers would destroy each other, and there would be no bass at all. In addition the speakers would fight each other.

Strictly speaking a only a membrane panel speaker like an electrostatic or ribbon and ribbon film speakers can be true di-poles. If you use moving coil drivers it is unsatisfactory as the radiating surfaces are separated in space and therefore time

Really a good mono pole speaker is best for surround. Doing what JAMO have done, is really just an admission they can not design a speaker with a good dispersion pattern, but only speakers that beam. So one side will beam to the front and the other to the back.

I use mono poles and you never localize to the surrounds.

K

Kalimusic22

Audiophyte
TLS GUY is WRONG.

bipoles will NOT be 180 degrees out of phase...

THEY WILL BE " IN PHASE"

" DI POLES " ....will be 180 degrees out of phase.

THE JAMO IS A DIPOLE..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis