Dimple in the tweeter?

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
Hey,
I was wondering. Someone is selling an axiom m3ti but the tweeter was pushed in a little. He considers it a "dimple." I asked for pictures but am unable to get any. My question is would a "dimpled" tweeter have any affect on the performance of the speaker? thanks for the help,
David

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I would say the dimple alone perhaps not, BUT consider what caused the dimple. If something pushed hard enough against it to cause a dimple it could have done more damage then just the visable.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Hi, If it is a soft dome type and the dimple really bothers you, you can try the old and effective TP trick, use the inner core of the TP to use as a vaccum and suck the dimple out.

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
hey,
sorry y'all but maybe this should've been in the beginner section. Anyway here's a beginner question :D , what's the TP and could you elaborate? thanks again for the help.

David

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
I suspect "tp" is the center of a toilet paper roll! I've read, not done, using tape to pull it out. Personally I'd buy a new one or at least a used one that was sure to be good. Tweeters are quite fragile.

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
hahah!!! I see. I was googling for "Tweeter TP speaker" or "TP in tweeter." haha...

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Sorry should have been more elaborate, unless it is a metal tweeter which does get damaged if dented, it is normal for soft dome tweeters to get dented and can be easily fixed using the inside cardboard core of the toilet roll as a vacuum pipe over the tweeter and using your mouth to suck in the air.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Hipchack,
I have seen dimples on tweeter's dome many many times, it will not affect it's operation at all, but make sure that everything else is working OK, before you shell out the bucks.

Attachments

H

hipchack

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice everyone. The problem, Mr. T, is that I can't check it out first hand. And also the tweeter is titanium, so like Yamahaluver said it's there for good. I guess all of this makes me more conservative and I'll wait for something nicer in the future. I'll be looking to get me a center. Thanks again,

david

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
With a cone speaker, the center dome is usually just a cover for aesthetic reasons and doesn't do much for/to the sound. Also, a straw can sometimes be used to suck out any dimples. But if the tweeter itself is dome/dispersion type, I wouldn't go near it if it was damaged in any visible way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis