Digital Video Essentials

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
So, does anyone else own the DVE HD Basics calibration disc? I've been trying to figure out the test patterns on this piece of crap for a long time. I can figure out the brightness and contrast pretty easily, but the colour filters are just mind blowingly difficult.

Someone help me before I'm forced to buy a new TV because i put my foot through my current one.

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
Me too. Maybe when I get 10 to 12 hours free time I can learn a few tweeks. As for now It is still in the box.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You have me curious about DVE, now. I've used Video Essentials (older version with a single blue filter) and Avia (newer version with three color filters), and both were mind-numbingly easy to do. I'm not insulting you - you just have me curious about the DVE color patterns, as they must not be simple if you are having so much trouble.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
You have me curious about DVE, now. I've used Video Essentials (older version with a single blue filter) and Avia (newer version with three color filters), and both were mind-numbingly easy to do. I'm not insulting you - you just have me curious about the DVE color patterns, as they must not be simple if you are having so much trouble.
No no, I understand the patterns and what they are SUPPOSED to look like when looking through the filter. The problem is they just don't look like they should. The closest I can come to what they're supposed to look like is pretty much default settings on the TV.

The best calibration utility I've used is when i calibrate my TV using my video card. It's super super easy, and comparatively I want to rip this blue ray in half and light it of fire.

The real problem is the descriptions of what you should be seeing are so vague you pretty much have to guess.

P.S. I know you're calling me dumb Adam.....and probably having a good chuckle about it too!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
P.S. I know you're calling me dumb Adam.....and probably having a good chuckle about it too!
Well, I wasn't, that made me laugh! :)

Do you know anybody with the Avia disc? Maybe give that a try if you do. It really is easy to follow.

I didn't change the color or tint settings on my TV much at all. It really was pretty darn close to what it should be. Perhaps that's also true of your TV and why you end up being near the defaults?

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Well, I wasn't, that made me laugh! :)

Do you know anybody with the Avia disc? Maybe give that a try if you do. It really is easy to follow.

I didn't change the color or tint settings on my TV much at all. It really was pretty darn close to what it should be. Perhaps that's also true of your TV and why you end up being near the defaults?
Yeah I believe you are correct, but i just dusted the disc off today and tried to figure it out for the millionth time and some venting was in order. I was going to order the Avia discs from amazon but got lazy and cheap and bought the DVE disc. I went into the local brick and morter stores and none of them had even heard of a calibration disc, meanwhile they sell one.... Sometimes I like to go in there just to get in arguments with the employees.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
If you can't get the color perfect using the user menu controls then most likely reason is that it's just not possible! You may need to dig into the service menu to get it any better.

What picture mode are you using? Cinema is most acurrate on Sonys.

H

Hwypirt

Audioholic Intern
Happy New Year all...

I have used that disc and thought I got okay results but I had better results when I googled video settings for my tv model and found some people who had theirs professionally calibrated and then posted the settings. I started with those settings then tweaked them a little to suit my tastes. :D You might give that a shot. :)

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I have used that disc and thought I got okay results but I had better results when I googled video settings for my tv model and found some people who had theirs professionally calibrated and then posted the settings. I started with those settings then tweaked them a little to suit my tastes. :D You might give that a shot. :)
Yeah I was looking online, but most people seem to think that you have to calibrate each tv individually. Does it actually matter? Who knows. I find most "audioholics" like to blow small improvements out of proportion.

WHICH IS WHY I MUST HAVE PERFECTION!

....I haven't had a drink in a week....

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I always used Avia but I bought the DVE HD last year. It drives me crazy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In sake of complete perfection (aka pulling all the stops on audioholic madness) you might want to try this software (granted you ok with spending extra for sensor or take/borrow/steal from a friends.

They provide down-loadable disk images with testing patterns , but also can work with Avia/DVE disks and their patters.

This should take guessing out of the circle ;)

H

Hwypirt

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I was looking online, but most people seem to think that you have to calibrate each tv individually. Does it actually matter? Who knows. I find most "audioholics" like to blow small improvements out of proportion.

Yeah I heard that too, that's why I added some finishing touches to suit my taste.:cool:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

It's always better to calibrate individually. First of all, most displays by far will exhibit unit to unit variation. Some more than others, and it's not always related to price either. I've heard some TV's don't even come with the same default values. Then consider how much different your ambient lighting is, the colors of your walls, and perhaps even your source. YMMV.

S

Sumstuf

Audiophyte
I guess the calibration blu ray is a good deal considering you can pay more than a $100 for a professional calibrator to do your tv.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
You might try the Spears and Munsil BD calibration disc. Got one for Christmas and it made my projector look a bit better. I already had it damn close just by eyeballing (many years as a video engineer helped with that)...:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis