Digital Music Servers

F

fishman1

Audiophyte
I am in the process of having a new house with a home theater constructed. There will be an AMX system controlling the entire house. I am considering a digital music server. I am being led towards the ARQ Request Pro 80 server. The price seems a little steep, however. It lists for 4K for an 80GB drive. The 60GB model is 3K. !000$ for 20 GB? This seems kind of expensive. I found a Yamaha system, but was told that it wasn't compatible with AMX. Any other ideas for an 80GB system that is AMX compatible in the 2K range?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is absolutely no digital music server in existence that compares in any way to the Audio Request pieces at all.

There are other products though that will tempt you and you should be aware of them. You should also know the pluses and minuses of each.

1. Audio Request: http://www.request.com/us/

These units are designed and built on a non-windows (probably unix) based machine and the in-house programmers have Crestron & AMX certifications and build AND test all macros in-house. As software is updated, the macros get upgraded and they perform flawlessly. If you use the Request on screen GUI and handheld remote, the AMX panel will track it perfectly and will emulate the on screen displays from the Audio Request almost perfectly. The response time is almost instantaneous and the stability of the system is as close to flawless as I have seen. As a Crestron programmer I have put about a dozen of these things in and not one has ever caused me any headaches at all.
Downside: Expensive!

2. Imerge: http://www.imerge.co.uk/products/improductshtml/ipmain.html

This particular unit is a ways behind the Request, but is a large step in front of the Escient (see below). The user interface is Crestron created and is not one of the better macros. Searching for your albums can be tedious which sucks, but you do have the ability to search by many different categories and organizing playlists and the system through your PC is nice.
Big plus: Multi-zone output is available, so for around $2,000->$4,000 you can have from 1 to 3 zones of audio. I personally own the Imerge S1000 (older model) with 40GB drive and 2 zones of audio. It never crashes, but it definitely is not as elogant as the Request. It most definitely is programmable by Crestron/AMX and macros exist.
Plus: Mid-price, stable, multi-zones, fast stable integration
Minus: Integration not as elegant as it should be, doesn't track the same if you use handheld remote.

This is DEFINITELY the second choice behind the Audio Request

3. Escient Fireball - http://www.escient.com/

No, no, no - This thing is a good concept and is a great bang for the buck stand alone product. But, when integrated with Crestron/AMX it dies. The unit is prone to crashing and the price tag is in line with the competition. Crestron macro is pretty, but Escient's protocols are not stable enough to keep it going. This will cause you frustration in the end, not joy.

Plus: Cheaper unit, CD-Burning built in, Can download music to the Fireball directly from net, streams Internet radio, can control CD changers for HQ audio.
Minus: Unit crashes, integration with Crestron/AMX is very slow so you wait many seconds for searches and finding albums, not cheap enough to justify problems. Handheld remote does not track with macro.

I believe Yamahas unit is a Imerge clone (Xiva net) as well as units from Marantz and some others. The original Imerge pieces may be the only ones to support RS-232 outboard control from AMX/Crestron.

Definitely take a look at Crestron if you haven't yet (www.crestron.com) as they have a new 10" wireless touchpanel that is a very good value for the money ($3,800 MSRP) and many color in-wall panels. Cool stuff. Of course I program Crestron for a living so I gotta make sure you know about them when the letters 'A M X' are mentioned. ;)

F

fishman1

Audiophyte
Thanks for your excellent reply. Looks like I might have to suck it up and go with the Request!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There's always eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73839&item=5755656565&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Deals can be had if you are willing to take a little risk, but with lots of time left in the auction, you can email and see how good the seller seems and good communication is. I would only go eBay for something like that as no dealer can repair it if there is a problem so it would have to go back for service, and what service Request can give you is excellent over the phone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis