Digital Amplification

G

gregrose

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have noticed that the new Sony ES receivers use digital amplification. &nbsp;What is this? &nbsp;What are the benefits/drawbacks vs. analog amplification?

Any info is appreciated.

Regards,

Greg</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>It is class D amplification like the ones used in Outlaw etc. It is the trend of today and fits the high SPL needs with low cost pretty well.

I still prefer good old Class A or A/B transistor based amplification.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Yamahaluver;

I do agree with you, especially about some of the low $$$ digital amps. &nbsp;The Outlaw amp I believe is Class B and switches to G during high output. &nbsp;I am also not a fan of amps that employ trackdown converters such as those from Sunfire. &nbsp;IMO these amps are noisey and analytical sounding.

However, there are new amps out now that we must consider that use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) based technology which are very high efficiency (&gt;90%) and supposedly offer the performance of conventional Class A/AB. &nbsp;Yamaha has just introduced this type of Digital Amp ($4000 2CH!) and I believe Denon has as well. &nbsp;IN the near future we will be reviewing these units to determine if they live up to their claims.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Gene,

This test would be very interesting and we will get to know how class D stands compared to tradational amplifiers. So far I have only seen them used in subs and automobile applications.

$4000 is a lot of money for a 2channel amplifier, wonder what Yamaha has up to their sleeve.</font>

G

gregrose

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the info, guys. &nbsp;Can someone please provide a breakdown of the different classes? &nbsp;Is there any website that may have more info on this?

Regards,

Greg</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis