Differences between consumer and professional plasmas?

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
I have been looking at some plasmas, and was curious if the video processors in a professional plasma will be as good as those in a consumer plasma. I know they are supposed to be used for different reasons, but the prices on a professional plasma seem to be more reasonable. I'm looking at panasonics by the way. Also If anyone knows any differences between the Pioneer Elite 43" and the Hitachi 42HDS52 plasmas I would love to hear it. Is one better than the other?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Pioneer Elite, in my experience, are the best line of plasmas manufactured. All around, they are king.

Pro plasmas often lack a lot more than people realize, especially from Panasonic.

The 8UK, I believe, doesn't have HDMI, no ATSC or NTSC tuners, no internal cablecard, one set of component inputs, no speakers. If you just want a plasma to hang on the wall and use without a lot of necessary external equipment, than the 8uk pro line is not the way to go.

As well, I have seen the pro line listing less color capabilities (2 million colors vs. 8 million?) than the consumer line. This indicates that the consumer line has better video handling capabilities than the pro line.

I personally have been opting for the consumer lines as you can just put them on your wall, run cable into them, throw a cablecard in and enjoy a couple hundred channels with nothing else necessary. Very cool.

The pro line works great though if you always plan to use your external speakers, have an external cable/sat box, are using an A/V receiver, and pay a bit more to add the HDMI card to the display. It can save a few hundred bucks overall. But, I'm not sure of the color handling/graphics difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis