Differences b/w Small/Large Spkr. Setting in Receiver?

dbkmovies

dbkmovies

Audiophyte
Sony STR-DH820

To adjust crossover frequencies in my 7 speakers manually requires that the "Speaker Size" setting, be set to "Small".

Not all of my speakers are small, but I would love to dial-in the crossover for them all.

If I choose "SMALL" as the setting, are there any other changes that are made to the sound? Are the wattage/volume/EQ levels, etc. all the same otherwise?

Help! & Thanks!!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The crossover is the only difference. "Small" = "Large plus HPF"

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Sony STR-DH820

To adjust crossover frequencies in my 7 speakers manually requires that the "Speaker Size" setting, be set to "Small".

Not all of my speakers are small, but I would love to dial-in the crossover for them all.

If I choose "SMALL" as the setting, are there any other changes that are made to the sound? Are the wattage/volume/EQ levels, etc. all the same otherwise?

Help! & Thanks!!
Manuulay setting the speakers to small will route all bass from every channel to the LFE out according to the filter setting on the receiver. This will definately influence how the automated room correction features eq your speakers. For Home Theter use, I set all my speakers to small including my towers which are capable of playing 40 Hz in bass. I like what I hear. When I listen to two channel music, I set my receiver to pure direct mode awhich runs my towers full range.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Many AVRs only allow you to adjust crossover pairs when they are set to 'small'. But depending on the AVR, you might be able to set full range speakers to say 40 htz while all the others are set to 80.
The only way to tell if all 7 set to 80 htz would be better, or not as good, in your system, is to try a multitude of XO points on the mains. And go with whichever you think sounds best.

dbkmovies

dbkmovies

Audiophyte
Thanks all! Dialing things in has, again, been downright fun.

M

Maaster

Audiophyte
Hey everyone,

I'm attempting to maximise the quality of sound from my amp and read with interest the discussion on small/large speaker setup.

The problem is that I don't have this function on my amp. All I can find are the dB settings for each channel. For example, front speakers can be set to -10dB to 10dB. Same for rears and centre.

The amp is a Teac AGD9100.

Can I assume to set this amp to small speakers on the front, the setting would be -10dB?

Many thanks in advance :)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
No, that's not correct. -10 dB just drops the overall volume of the entire channel by 10 dB. You don't want that.

Your receiver appears to be a rather old model with no or unconfigurable bass management. Leave all your channels as 0 dB, though you would be well-advised to pick up a cheap SPL meter and actually level match all of them manually.

M

Maaster

Audiophyte
I thought I best ask, and I'm glad I did.

Thank you jonnythan, highly appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis