Difference between Component Video and DVI/HDMI

A

azlan

Audiophyte
Hi,

I recently bought a Sony HDTV monitor (KV36HS420). I have a 3 year old Sony DVD player which has a component video output but no Progressive Scan. My new TV has Component Video input and dvi/hdmi inputs.

I bought a Component Video cable for 90 bucks from Circuit City (the best this store carried accroding to the sales guy). After spending 90 bucks Iam debating if I have to buy a new DVD player also with progressive scan and dvi/hdmi outputs.

I dont want waste my money if what i currently have (my old dvd with the component cable i bought) is good enough or close to the picture i will get from DVI/HDMI cables.

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
return them

Let me guess the cable was a Monster Cable (Monster Video 3)...I would take it back if it is not to late. Check this out :

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-674

You need to ask yourself if it will make that big of difference to you. I have an old SONY 32" TV (I don't have the money like you :) ) with s-video from my DVD player, and to me I know it is OK...I also know it would be 100 times better with DVI...

do this... go to a store that has your TV have them hook up a DVD player with DVI and try it out, have them show you a DVI signal, a component signal and you be the judge.

Hope that helps :)

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Assuming reasonable quality cables, relatively short cable run, and low levels of outside interference, I think you'll probably notice more of a difference upgrading to progressive scan than upgrading to DVI/HDMI interconnects. However, you can probably get both for a reasonable price, so why not go the distance?

http://www.vinc.com/product.asp?ID=56&PID=21&SEQ=2

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
OOOOHHH!

I can answer this now!

But before I go any further, realise that there are probably thousands of posts here and on other fourms about cables.

First of all, the CC guy was "kind of" telling the truth. Of all the analog cabless, the component video is the best. In order, from best to worst (for analog only) is:

Best (Prefered) Component Video
S-Video
RCA
Worst Composite (old RG-59 Cable connection)

But, is is well known, that BB and CC LOVE to sell Monster Cable as the profit margin is HUGE. AND, there are lots of alternatives, and most are just as good, if not better, and often less expensive than Monster Cable.

I have never read any posts that say Monster Cable is bad, just too expensive.

Here is a good article on the different connections

Now, DVI is a DIGITAL connection, a:
"The DVI 1.0 standard was originally created to enable digital-to-digital, high bandwidth data transfer between a computer and a flat screen monitor. However, because of DVIs ability to also process high-bandwidth HDTV video, interest was generated in the consumer electronics industry."

now from DVI, came HDMI, which is:
"High Definition Multimedia Interface is a descendant of DVI. Like DVI, it is a digital cable and connection that supports digital data transmission. Unlike DVI which supports only video transmission, HDMI supports both high definition video and audio. HDMI will offer 'legacy' support of older DVI connections."

So, the MOST prefered video connection is to use the DVI or HDMI connection.

If your DVD only has DVI and your monitor only has HDMI, no problem, just buy a DVI to HDMI cable.

There are LOTS of online places to buy cables, do some searches here to find options.

One place I have found, is that your local Radio Shack seem to carry good quality cables, at decent prices. For anything other than connecting a 10,000 amp to a 5,000 pre-amp, the RS cables should do the trick.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis