Dialogue problem (sound bar) when watching Blu-ray's

C

Colossal

Audiophyte
I have an LG NB3520A Sound bar, and I have a slight problem with dialogue when watching Blu-ray's, I find that I have to turn the volume up to hear the dialogue better - and then the action kicks in and it's really loud and I have to turn it down again... it means I have to constantly change the volume, unless I want the dialogue to be lacking, can anyone help?

On my blu-ray player settings I have it on PCM instead of bitstream. That's the best for sound bar's right?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an LG NB3520A Sound bar, and I have a slight problem with dialogue when watching Blu-ray's, I find that I have to turn the volume up to hear the dialogue better - and then the action kicks in and it's really loud and I have to turn it down again... it means I have to constantly change the volume, unless I want the dialogue to be lacking, can anyone help?

On my blu-ray player settings I have it on PCM instead of bitstream. That's the best for sound bar's right?
The problem is that your sound bar is miserable. It is two channel with no dialog channel. Most sound bars have nasty circuits that play with phase to make you think you have surrounds when you don't. They don't work and make matters worse. Details are very sparse on your unit.

Basically a two channel system has to be very good indeed to give clear dialog without a center channel.

The way Blue Rays are mixed your complaint tends to be a problem anyway. It takes a good system to have natural clear dialog at lower volumes without using dynamic range compression. Receivers do have compression modes to help with this problem.

My only suggestion I have for you is to invest in a full 5.1 system with a decent receiver and at least three front speakers and a sub and surrounds if funds permit. Avoid HTIBS

Then you can adjust the dialog level and switch on dynamic compression modes, like night time mode if you want.

BD have a lot of information mastered to studio standard, and basically puts a copy in your hand that the mastering engineer heard. So it requires a sophisticated system to reproduce them, which can not be done for the price of your sound bar. What you can get out of a BD disc with a really good system is truly awesome.

C

Colossal

Audiophyte
The problem is that your sound bar is miserable. It is two channel with no dialog channel. Most sound bars have nasty circuits that play with phase to make you think you have surrounds when you don't. They don't work and make matters worse. Details are very sparse on your unit.

Basically a two channel system has to be very good indeed to give clear dialog without a center channel.

The way Blue Rays are mixed your complaint tends to be a problem anyway. It takes a good system to have natural clear dialog at lower volumes without using dynamic range compression. Receivers do have compression modes to help with this problem.

My only suggestion I have for you is to invest in a full 5.1 system with a decent receiver and at least three front speakers and a sub and surrounds if funds permit. Avoid HTIBS

Then you can adjust the dialog level and switch on dynamic compression modes, like night time mode if you want.

BD have a lot of information mastered to studio standard, and basically puts a copy in your hand that the mastering engineer heard. So it requires a sophisticated system to reproduce them, which can not be done for the price of your sound bar. What you can get out of a BD disc with a really good system is truly awesome.

It's for my bedroom - I bought a sound bar for convenience, and I bought it primarily for gaming... with gaming I have absolutely no complaints, but I watch movies sometimes, I posted because maybe I don't have the optimal settings for a 2.1 system, on the blu ray player.

It comes with a build in DRC mode, and also a clear voice settings, which helps... it comes with a night mode also which I haven't tried with movies yet.

It isn't like I can't hear what is being said, I just like to have dialogue at a decent volume. Maybe I could just turn down the sub (wireless) volume relative to the sound coming out of the SB.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It's for my bedroom - I bought a sound bar for convenience, and I bought it primarily for gaming... with gaming I have absolutely no complaints, but I watch movies sometimes, I posted because maybe I don't have the optimal settings for a 2.1 system, on the blu ray player.

It comes with a build in DRC mode, and also a clear voice settings, which helps... it comes with a night mode also which I haven't tried with movies yet.

It isn't like I can't hear what is being said, I just like to have dialogue at a decent volume. Maybe I could just turn down the sub (wireless) volume relative to the sound coming out of the SB.
The night mode will be your answer. I could not find an on line manual for your uni, and the specs made no reference to it having DRC or night time modes.

I think you are correct that the sub would cover those small sound bar drivers pretty quickly if it was too loud.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis