TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This article today led me to recommend a series available on Netflix called Detectorists. This beautifully written and acted "comedy" will provide some highly entertaining viewing. I was tipped of about it by my eldest son.

The first two series are available on Netflix. Just put Detectorists in the search window.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Great show if you like and highly appreciate dry English humour.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
This article today led me to recommend a series available on Netflix called Detectorists. This beautifully written and acted "comedy" will provide some highly entertaining viewing. I was tipped of about it by my eldest son.

The first two series are available on Netflix. Just put Detectorists in the search window.
Have you watched "The Crown" on Netflix? That's an excellent series about the passing of George VI and the ascension of Elizabeth II. There's lots of family drama, and John Lithgow's portrayal of Churchill was fantastic. I never realized Prince Philip was such a jerk. Apparently the script writers weren't far off about that. 1 | 2

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Great show if you like and highly appreciate dry English humour.
I'm a big fan of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!!! Probably the best Brit humor ever!!! Actually, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was my favorite of the series.

BBC America has a series based on Dirk Gentleys' Holistic Detective Service, it's pretty good.

And, of course you can't overlook Monty Python when talking about Brit humor.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm a big fan of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!!! Probably the best Brit humor ever!!! Actually, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was my favorite of the series.

BBC America has a series based on Dirk Gentleys' Holistic Detective Service, it's pretty good.

And, of course you can't overlook Monty Python when talking about Brit humor.
Yes, my wife and I have.

Try the Detectorists though. You would never guess a program featuring metal detectorists could really hold your attention, but it does. Make sure you watch a couple of episodes though, so you really get the ethos.

It will be very hard to resist the temptation to binge watch. Beautiful country scenes as well. It is all shot in East Anglia, mostly in Suffolk, one of England's most beautiful regions.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Based on your recommendation, my wife & I watched Detectorists over the last two nights. We were charmed. It was enough to make me want to visit Essex.

The actor who played Andy, Mackenzie Crook, also wrote and directed it.

This morning, I stumbled over article on the Leekfrith torcs in Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leekfrith_torcs

And that led to the story of the Staffordshire Hoard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Hoard
Glad you enjoyed it.

The series though "set" in Essex was actually filmed in Suffolk the county to the North of Essex. The base for the filming was Framlingham the seat of Medieval power in Suffolk.

Essex is one of the "Home Counties" and is North of the Thames. Its southern border is the River Thames and its estuary stretching East to Southend on Sea and then the coast turns north to Clacton and the port of Felixstow in Suffolk. North Essex is part of beautiful East Anglia. The river Stour around Flatford is well worth a visit.

On the way up on the A12 you pass Chelmsford and then Colchester. Colchester was the Roman capital of Britain and not London, as most people think.

Suffolk has its coastal regions, and inland. To the North are the Norfolk Broads, immediately to the west of the port of Lowestoft.

They have held motor boat racing on Oulton Broad since 1901.

Moving a little further south, you come to the lovely town of Southwold, where I spent most of my summers as a child.

This is Southwold harbor, taken from the Walberswick side. The boat you see crossing the river, is the ferry, and yes it is rowed with oars!

A little further down the coast is Aldeborough, on the River Alde.

I captured a rare site last time I was there. I Spritty rigged river barge. The larger Thames barges are quite common, but not the smaller River barges.

Thames Sprit rigged barge under sail on the River Orwell Suffolk.

The county town is Ipswich on the Orwell.

In land there is the best preserved Medieval wool town in the UK.

One last point of interest and referenced several times in the Detectorists series is the Sutton HOO ship burial.

There is much to see in East Anglia that merits a full vacation to itself. I have barely scratched the surface of what this region has to offer.
https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/medieval-world/latin-western-europe/early-medieval/a/the-sutton-hoo-ship-burial

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Based on your recommendation, my wife & I watched Detectorists over the last two nights. We were charmed. It was enough to make me want to visit Essex.

The actor who played Andy, Mackenzie Crook, also wrote and directed it.

This morning, I stumbled over article on the Leekfrith torcs in Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leekfrith_torcs

And that led to the story of the Staffordshire Hoard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Hoard
This article is in today's Telegraph. It is a good rundown on Suffolk and many of the areas where Detectorists was filmed. May be that will encourage you to explore Suffolk.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis