Denon Spotify issues

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My 4520 for the last two days, after many attempts, will only come up with a response of "empty" when I ask for my playlists. I'm in touch with "spotify cares" on facebook, but they don't seem to have any idea why, their latest question was whether my firmware was up to date (which it is), so wonder maybe it's like Denon's issue with the Pandora app changes in the past?

I've reset my modem several times as well as a soft reset on the 4520. It usually takes a couple minutes for the playlists to load, and just once in a while before this I'd get this "empty" message fairly quickly as I'm getting now, but would pull up the playlists the next attempt, but this is the first time it's been persistent. My Onkyo's Spotify app has always pulled up the playlists quickly, and is still doing so.

Anyone else having such issues?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I used to stream directly to my onkyo(808). It started doing something similar right before the hdmi/network board went out. All's I gots...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to stream directly to my onkyo(808). It started doing something similar right before the hdmi/network board went out. All's I gots...
Hope that's not my issue, doubt it as all the other network functions are fine.....so far at least.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There are too many functions on modern AVRs. They do NOT need to be streaming devices. We need a return to core functions, and streaming is NOT a core function of an AVR. Streaming should be the task of peripheral devices.

AVRs need less functions and not more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are too many functions on modern AVRs. They do NOT need to be streaming devices. We need a return to core functions, and streaming is NOT a core function of an AVR. Streaming should be the task of peripheral devices.

AVRs need less functions and not more.
Disagree, the streaming is a good part of the reason I purchased my avrs with such apps and it's at least a core function as radio ever was, but much better than radio ever was (plus I've lived in places with no radio at all but had internet); I'd much rather lose the tuner section. If I had wanted separates I'd have bought separates.

I think the problem in this case is more that D+M may have gotten lazy about firmware changes as the app provider changes/updates service (as D+M had with Pandora for example) but I'm still waiting for more on that from Spotify.

While I can stream Spotify from my PS3 or connect a long hdmi from my laptop to the avr, I don't want to just for music. Plus, the screen is static when fed into the unit via hdmi, too, whereas I can set the Denon to show picture for the time I set it then go blank; rather avoid any burn-in issues on my plasma but still like to see what's currently playing on an app as I can do with anything I stream on the Denon.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Disagree, the streaming is a good part of the reason I purchased my avrs with such apps and it's at least a core function as radio ever was, but much better than radio ever was (plus I've lived in places with no radio at all but had internet); I'd much rather lose the tuner section. If I had wanted separates I'd have bought separates.

I think the problem in this case is more that D+M may have gotten lazy about firmware changes as the app provider changes/updates service (as D+M had with Pandora for example) but I'm still waiting for more on that from Spotify.

While I can stream Spotify from my PS3 or connect a long hdmi from my laptop to the avr, I don't want to just for music. Plus, the screen is static when fed into the unit via hdmi, too, whereas I can set the Denon to show picture for the time I set it then go blank; rather avoid any burn-in issues on my plasma but still like to see what's currently playing on an app as I can do with anything I stream on the Denon).
I have never been keen on receivers, and as time passes the whole concept of a receiver becomes less and less attractive. I strongly endorse the whole concept of separates. As things get more and more complex the case gets stronger and stronger. This way units can be designed by experts in that function. You also can choose units from the optimal manufacturer for that function.

I am a fan of very high quality streaming and would never consider using a receiver for streaming.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have never been keen on receivers, and as time passes the whole concept of a receiver becomes less and less attractive. I strongly endorse the whole concept of separates. As things get more and more complex the case gets stronger and stronger. This way units can be designed by experts in that function. You also can choose units from the optimal manufacturer for that function.

I am a fan of very high quality streaming and would never consider using a receiver for streaming.
You're not a fan of receivers? :rolleyes:

I've got separates for 2ch gear, but they're so useless for what I want to do with video and multich offerings they're just in my least-used rooms; the modern avr suits my purposes. In any case, no quality issues with the streaming in general, either internet sourced or from my own drives. Maybe not your fancy BBC over vpn setup but works for me :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Slight update, spotify cares got back to me and asked me to sign in with a test account/password they provided which yielded the same result, playlists being "empty". They then asked me what phone and software version I had....I had to remind them the phone is fine, it's the Denon app that isn't working and now silence again so who knows how much help they'll be. Think I'll try Denon cust svc if they continue to have no clue at Spotify....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon customer service (online via site/email) slow to respond, then sent some faq type list of things to check which I already had, but since I didn't really tell them all the steps I had taken, so then listed on the ticket the various steps I'd taken on my own with resets and such. Then I get a response indicating thanks for contacting us, keep checking the website for updates and if you still need something start a new ticket. A satisfaction survey accompanied that from Sound United (which took a while to connect). I responded that I have no idea why you think you've answered any questions and what should I be checking for on your website? Then I got a more personal response from a different agent and he says:

"The issue with Spotify playlists that you initially reported on March 3 is an issue that we have recently become aware of. It is an issue that originates from a problem on Spotify's end, and they are also aware of the problem and have informed us that they are currently working on a quick solution to the problem."

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Denon customer service (online via site/email) slow to respond, then sent some faq type list of things to check which I already had, but since I didn't really tell them all the steps I had taken, so then listed on the ticket the various steps I'd taken on my own with resets and such. Then I get a response indicating thanks for contacting us, keep checking the website for updates and if you still need something start a new ticket. A satisfaction survey accompanied that from Sound United (which took a while to connect). I responded that I have no idea why you think you've answered any questions and what should I be checking for on your website? Then I got a more personal response from a different agent and he says:

"The issue with Spotify playlists that you initially reported on March 3 is an issue that we have recently become aware of. It is an issue that originates from a problem on Spotify's end, and they are also aware of the problem and have informed us that they are currently working on a quick solution to the problem."
That's weird, I have the x4300 and no issues what so ever with Spotify.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's weird, I have the x4300 and no issues what so ever with Spotify.
They weren't specific as to what the particular issue was or what model range was affected; a while ago my 4520 also lost Pandora for a bit due to some changes Pandora made that Denon wasn't on top of and that was a problem at more than one point in time for Denon (and some other brands) depending on which model you had.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW tried it a few days ago and all is back to normal, up to date with my latest playlists. No further word from Denon or Spotify....gotta love corporate cultured customer "service" LOL

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW tried it a few days ago and all is back to normal, up to date with my latest playlists. No further word from Denon or Spotify....gotta love corporate cultured customer "service" LOL
Nice. Glad it's working anyways. CS is a waning art form. It's too bad.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW the latest failure of the Pandora app in my 4520 has finally been updated by Denon, working just fine again after a several month absence this time....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis