Denon receiver experts? Please help!

G

gwhizz35

Enthusiast
My parents have a Denon Receiver, it's about 4 years old, not sure which model, but it was the model right before the new one with Component plugs.
I want to know how the VDP input works. I'm trying to plug a karaoke machine to it, but thing just will not work! Not sure how to get the display to come out on the screen. Since it doesn't really go into any video1 or 2 or 3 ports, how does it show on the screen? Do I need separate audio/video plugs to go from the karaoke machine to the tv as well? What if the machine only has one set of a/v plugs? Please help....thx!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You should be able to plug in any type of red, white, and yellow plugs to a video "in" on the receiver and as long as the main "out" goes to your tv sets "in" with all three rca cables plugged in, it should work. Have you tried hooking the karaoke machine directly up to the tv sets "ins" in the back to see if your machine actually works? You may also want to hook up the yellow video directly to the tv, and the red/white to the receiver as there is no need to run the video through the receiver. Also, make sure once your connections are correct, you are selecting the right audio or video switching. The receiver may be too old to transfer video, although I doubt it. Post some low pixel photos here of the back of the tv, receiver, and karaoke machine if you are still having trouble.

G

gwhizz35

Enthusiast
Thanks Buckeye, I will check that, but then on the TV what do I switch it to to view the karaoke video?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you have a newer tv set, there should be a video switch on the tv set or remote that allows you to go from tv/cable to vcr to dvd, etc... Sometimes these are labeled "video 1" and "video 2", etc... Sort of like switching over from cable tv to Xbox. Your tv may only have one extra video "in", so you would have to unplug a vcr or dvd player to get the karaoke machine to work. Otherwise, you could route your vcr/dvd/karaoke/xbox etc... through your Denon receiver into the one "in" on the tv set and switch it from the receiver (also keeping in mind you'll have to switch the tv set from tv/cable to video 1. Again, it's hard to say when I don't know your equipment. A/V is simple once you realize the logic with "ins and outs."

G

gwhizz35

Enthusiast
ok buckeye, sorry for being dumb, slow and a newbie. so i plug my karaoke machine right/left/video plugs into the VDP section of my Denon receiver since I belive VDP is an 'extra' type of auxiliary plug which would be my 'in'
and then from the receiver i go 'out' to a Video 1, 2, or 3 righit/left/video plug on the tv correct? but what plugs on my Denon receiver would be the 'out'?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
They'll be labeled "out".

www.usa.denon.com/catalog/photo.asp?s=home&p=AVR-1705&f=AVR1705 Back.jpg&c=2

On this example, I would take the red/white karaoke to the DVD/VDP red/white "in", (that would give you your sound) then you can take the yellow cable from the karaoke machine to the first yellow DVD/VDP "in". Then take another yellow rca cable from the receivers yellow "monitor" out to the yellow "in" on the back of the tv. What Denon model is it? I'm guessing this is your problem. I'm sure it's still on the Denon website.

G

gwhizz35

Enthusiast
great pic. so then what do i switch the tv to to see the pic? video1, 2?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis