Denon Problem with Pandora

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
A few days ago, my Denon X4000 quit playing Pandora. It would go to the screen asking for my Pandora account name and password, (which it previously had always remembered). But even when I entered the name and pw, it just hung.

After a couple days, I went to the Denon site and saw a message that they knew about a problem and were working on it. After another couple days, it started working. But it only worked for a day, then quit again. This time w/ a different symptom. It appears to connect, but still hangs and shows a little status ring rotating. The Denon site has a message that they have confirmed the problem is resolved. I sent an email to Customer Service, but no response after a day.

Is anybody else seeing this problem? My connection to the internet is good and I have the latest firmware.

Edit: Also just noticed Airplay hangs at the same screen.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, can't help. I did not even realize I could access Pandora directly from X4000. Always did it on bd player.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Pandora did an update within the last week, or so- Denon knows about it and is working on a solution. Apparently, it only affects the '14-'15 model years. I just sent an e-mail to D&M via the dealer CI portal, so I'll post what they send.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks, guys. It is with all humility that I can report it is now fixed. I decided a microprocessor reset was my next step. I hated the thought of having to set everything up again, so took A BUNCH of pictures of my current settings to help me remember.

This is where the humility comes in. Before the reset, I decided to simply unplug the unit. I let it sit for a while, then plugged it back in. It worked. I can't tell you how many times I have told people to reboot before trying anything else. Physician, heal thyself.

Oh well. I'll blame it on old age. :oops:

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks, guys. It is with all humility that I can report it is now fixed. I decided a microprocessor reset was my next step. I hated the thought of having to set everything up again, so took A BUNCH of pictures of my current settings to help me remember.

This is where the humility comes in. Before the reset, I decided to simply unplug the unit. I let it sit for a while, then plugged it back in. It worked. I can't tell you how many times I have told people to reboot before trying anything else. Physician, heal thyself.

Oh well. I'll blame it on old age. :oops:
You might want to read the manual for instructions on saving the configuration. You open your computer's browser, enter the AVR's IP address and open the menu. Look for Options and you should see one button for Save and another for Load. It tends to work best if the computer is hard-wired to the network, but I have done this many times using WiFi. Once the configuration has been saved, do your hard reset before Loading the configuration. It takes less than ten minutes, most of the time.

I got an email from Denon CI portal yesterday that stated the problem was fixed by Pandora on Friday.

highfigh

highfigh

To add- it's unfortunate they don't have a dedicated port on the AVRs, for saving/loading the configuration.

B

Bruce75

Audiophyte
Unfortunately my 4000x is still behaving the same. Pulling power a couple of times did not help. Guess a full reset is in order. Will be backing up my config before hand. Hope this works. Sucks not having Pandora easily controlled by my phone when out back. Resorted to plugging my Surface Pro into the receiver and playing Pandora through it.

EDIT: Can someone point out where you perform a backup? I am not seeing the option from the web controller nor can I find any mention of it in the instructions..

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Unfortunately my 4000x is still behaving the same. Pulling power a couple of times did not help. Guess a full reset is in order. Will be backing up my config before hand. Hope this works. Sucks not having Pandora easily controlled by my phone when out back. Resorted to plugging my Surface Pro into the receiver and playing Pandora through it.

EDIT: Can someone point out where you perform a backup? I am not seeing the option from the web controller nor can I find any mention of it in the instructions..
It's probably not a problem with only YOUR AVR, it's a problem with Pandora and the current Denon firmware. Stop resetting it and go to the Denon site to read about the issue.

BTW- do you use an iPhone? If so, you can stream Pandora from the phone to the AVR using AirPlay.

L

LyricSmith

Audiophyte
A few days ago, my Denon X4000 quit playing Pandora. It would go to the screen asking for my Pandora account name and password, (which it previously had always remembered). But even when I entered the name and pw, it just hung.

After a couple days, I went to the Denon site and saw a message that they knew about a problem and were working on it. After another couple days, it started working. But it only worked for a day, then quit again. This time w/ a different symptom. It appears to connect, but still hangs and shows a little status ring rotating. The Denon site has a message that they have confirmed the problem is resolved. I sent an email to Customer Service, but no response after a day.

Is anybody else seeing this problem? My connection to the internet is good and I have the latest firmware.

Edit: Also just noticed Airplay hangs at the same screen.
Yes AirPlay is very unreliable. Sadly Pandora has not worked on my Denon since June.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes AirPlay is very unreliable. Sadly Pandora has not worked on my Denon since June.
Is it hard wired, or are you trying to use WiFi? I would try it with an ethernet cable and see if it improves. Network problems are common when an AVR is stuffed into a cabinet with other equipment. Think about what's above, below, behind and to the sides of the AVR and its relation to the location of the router. Your phone or computer may have no problem with WiFi, but in a cabinet, an AVR may. Also, multiple pieces that are all transmitting and receiving RF can experience interference from the surrounding pieces.

L

LyricSmith

Audiophyte
Thanks yes it is hard-wired. The first Denon I got crashed when updating firmware so I have made sure I stayed hard-wired every since. I only used wifi in the first place because ironically, that is the only way I could get AirPlay to work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis