Denon Players and DVD-Rs?

MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson

Junior Audioholic
Rob Babcock wrote in another thread:

"I think my Denon is much better, but I will always keep a Pioneer around for DVD-Rs."

I didn't want to "muck up" someone elses' thread by changing topics so I'm starting fresh:

Is there an issue with the way Denon universal players handle DVD-Rs? Some of you who may have seen my posts know that I work in Video Production and am (finally!) setting up something more than a cheapie system.... now anxiously awaiting availablity of the Denon 3910 player. Although it's not for business use (And, yeah, that's what I'm tellin' the IRS!), I'd still like my HT setup to be able to play any of my self-produced DVDs if I bring a customer in there... namely, DVD-Rs.

Are some people having problems with their Denons in this regard?

TIA!
M

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Well, since no one else has answered I'll add a few comments. Apparently a Denon rep has confirmed the fact that their players are a bit spotty with recordable DVD. I've personally tried many brands of disc, both + & - R with the same results. I'd say my Denon is about 95%-98.5% with DVD-Rs from ProDisc; that is to say almost perfect. If I'm watching a burned movie, I'll usually get thru a movie without any glitch. But every so often there's be a little hangup, dropout or skip. Eventually I conceded defeat: after all, if Denon themselves basically says you're just SOL, what can you do?

BTW, I've tried many brands of players, and the Denon isn't unique in that regard. It seems there's either some wiggle room in the recordable spec or someone's not implementing it right. Literally the only brand I've tried that's bombproof with DVD-Rs is Pioneer. I've tried Sony, Toshiba, Sanyo, RCA, Techniqs, Denon, Apex, and a couple I'm probably forgetting now (never tried an Onk- anyone try DVD-R in theirs?).

When I say glitch, it's often minor enough that most people wouldn't notice at all. Sometimes, if you blink you'll miss it. Again, I might get thru 5 burned discs without any problems, it's hard to say.

The Denon I have has never hiccupped with any boughten media, CD, DVD-A, SACD or DVD, nor have I ever had a problem with CD-Rs or CD-RWs.

MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson

Junior Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
Well, since no one else has answered I'll add a few comments. Apparently a Denon rep has confirmed the fact that their players are a bit spotty with recordable DVD.
Interesting.

Considering the high percentage of DVD-Rs I might be playing (and some with a client present) maybe I should forego the advantages of Denon Link and see what Pioneer has to offer. I literally didn't check into other brands of universal players... to me the Denon Link of my new Denon 3805 made the upcoming 3910 purchase seem like a slam dunk!

Jeeesh. Now I have to bother learning about Bass Management? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply Rob!

M

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

One odd thing- I have a few DVD-R/W's (I'll have to check the brand) that my Denon will play that my Pioneer won't! It's almost a crap shoot trying to guess what will work in which machine. The Denon I have seems extremely solid with those DVD-R/Ws.

I don't want to make it sound like the Denons just flat won't play them, they will. I just gave up trying to find a brand that was 100%.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis