Denon AVR-X7200WA Atmos/DTS:X AV Receiver Review

A

Asif1980

Enthusiast
How do we compare emotiva XMC-1 vs Denon X7200WA??

I understand one is pre-processor and other is AV receiver with Immersive audio format support.

Lets set aside amplifier/immersive audio section in denon and compare both products processing capabilities.

Will denon+outlaw 7140 power amplifier out perform emotiva XMC-1+outlaw 7140 and which is worth the money spend?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I wonder how much if any of that unit will be working in five years?

Putting that much functionality and that many power amps in one case approaches if not reaches the farcical.

As I think you all know I have never been keen on the receiver concept. At this point I think it is totally absurd.

I have no desire whatever to own a unit like that and never would.

It is time to go back to the best practices of prior years. That is best served by units with dedicated function.

Streaming and Internet access should be the function of a dedicated front end source component. A pre/pro should just do switching control and processing. The power amps should be external and in this day and age preferably in the speakers.

We need to divide units into their core functions. Quality and above all reliability should be top design criteria.

In addition with the expense of all of this units should be modular and be able to be updated not only by software, but modular hardware change.

It is ridiculous that a change in HDMI standards and improved video performance require complete replacement of highly complex and costly units.

Things are going further off the tracks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
And this is what you get on the Beale Street website.

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.gobeale.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy

Their speakers look just as lousy.

It is my experience that all speakers need to be of similar quality. I know when I listen to rigs, my attention is always drawn to any poorer speakers, and they ruin the experience for me. Two really good speakers will always best a rig with lesser speakers or one comprised of lesser speakers.
Bad speakers just draw unwanted attention to themselves.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That Denon will be sweet if Amazon has their 50% off sale when the new models roll out. :D

In Direct Mode (no EQ of any kind), they will sound the same if played at the same exact volume.

Whether one is better than the other, it depends on what you do with them. The big difference among AVR and processors will be the features and EQ.

For example, I would unequivocally take the Denon over anything else that does not have Audyssey Dynamic EQ (DEQ).

AFAIK, the only new products that have Audyssey DEQ include Denon, Marantz, and McIntosh.

But some people prefer ARC (Anthem) or DIRAC (Emotiva) or other EQ systems.

So the salient difference is DIRAC vs AUDYSSEY (for me it's the DEQ), not Emotiva vs Denon or Pre-pro vs AVR.

But you might want to keep an eye on Amazon or Fry's during the late Summer, or Fall & Winter. You might see the Denon 7200 for $1,500 brand new.

So to answer your question, I would take the Denon over Emotiva.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How do we compare emotiva XMC-1 vs Denon X7200WA??

I understand one is pre-processor and other is AV receiver with Immersive audio format support.

Lets set aside amplifier/immersive audio section in denon and compare both products processing capabilities.

Will denon+outlaw 7140 power amplifier out perform emotiva XMC-1+outlaw 7140 and which is worth the money spend?
Denon has more channels of processing so would depend on the speaker set you desire to an extent. Dirac gets good reports, but Audyssey XT32 works very well. If using the same amp then performance should be equal in that respect (and the 7140 is not much different from the onboard amps in the 7200). Cost for the Denon vs XMC1 plus amps would be the better comparo.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I would just get the Denon 7200 without any external amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I would just get the Denon 7200 without any external amps.
I agree with TLSG that with so many things jammed in one box will likely affect it's longevity but I am confident if use normally it would last longer than 5 years. I also agree with you that one should not pay full price for such flag ship unit, especially now when the updated model will be out within months. $1,500 is probably my upper limit too.

The Outlaw won't out perform the Denon but has much better chance to live twice as long.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with TLSG that with so many things jammed in one box will likely affect it's longevity but I am confident if use normally it would last longer than 5 years. I also agree with you that one should not pay full price for such flag ship unit, especially now when the updated model will be out within months. $1,500 is probably my upper limit too.

The Outlaw won't out perform the Denon but has much better chance to live twice as long.
I would just wait for Amazon to sell the X4000 series for $799 brand new. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis