Denon AVR-S700W HDMI 2.0 7.2 Channel AV Receiver Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
On paper, the Denon AVR-S700W AV Receiver offers a lot of bang for the buck. For $499, you get HDMI 2.0, integrated WiFi and Bluetooth networking, and Audyssey's Bronze Built-in package which includes MultEQ auto-setup and calibration. As you might guess, a useful array of network streaming options are also available including Pandora, Spotify, and Sirius/XM. The question of course is whether or not Denon had to cut any corners. To answer that, we got our hands on a review sample and gave it a thorough examination.

Read the Denon AVR-S700W AV Receiver Review and Watch our Video

Could this be the easiest Denon receiver to set up? Let us know if you own one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'll have to check out the video tonight or tomorrow - thanks for posting it!

The "S" line replaces last year's "E" line, doesn't it? The seem very similar. I'm glad to to see the input selection move back to a knob versus push buttons on the front panel.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I'll have to check out the video tonight or tomorrow - thanks for posting it!

The "S" line replaces last year's "E" line, doesn't it? The seem very similar. I'm glad to to see the input selection move back to a knob versus push buttons on the front panel.
Yes, I can't remember the last time I touched an AVR other than to hook it up, but the Denon couldn't be more simple to operate from the unit itself. Spin the dial until you get the input you want, spin the other dial until you get the volume you want, sit back, and enjoy.

Better yet, use one of the quick select buttons to save your favorite input and sound mode.

S

scattershot

Audioholic
Here's are 2 receiver related questions I was wondering if any of you could answer:

1)
Who has the best OSD (on-screen display) / GUI (Graphic User Interface) on receivers between $500-$1200?
I only have 2 recent Onkyo's (TX-NR828, TX-NR52) , and I was wondering if anybody does it better than them?

2)
Who has the best iPhone remote app for controlling their receiver on their iPhone / iPad?

While I always recommend a universal remote, like a Harmony remote, to my clients, some of them prefer to use their iPad's / iPhone....

I've always been partial to Onkyo in recent years, but I do like Yamaha, Denon, and Pioneer as well on the lower-end ($1200 and below)

Thanks

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

1) Onkyo does do a very god job with their GUI. The main thing that work in their favor is that they keep the parent menus on the left while adjusting the child/sub menus on the right. Very nice design, though I think the Denon holds up well.

Admittedly, I haven't used a newer onkyo (I own an older TX-SR706), but their move away from Audyssey MultEQ in favor of a less sophisticated solution off-sets any marginal improvement in the user experience of the menu. I'll be in the menu for a few hours over the life of the unit. I'll spend years (I figure I have about 1 year total listening time on my onkyo, and counting) actually listening to the AVR.

2) The Denon app is sufficient...and I'll leave it at that. I haven't had much experience with others, so I won't chime in much here. I do find that using the native apps (pandora via bluetooth, youtube cast to Roku) is a much better experience. I'm looking forward to improvements in Bluetooth audio quality like AptX or most integration for casting to Roku/Chromecast or other built-in services. While the Denon app did give access to Pandora including changing stations and skipping tracks, the user experience was better with the Pandora app itself via bluetooth, even if the audio quality was slightly poorer through bluetooth.

Here's are 2 receiver related questions I was wondering if any of you could answer:

1)
Who has the best OSD (on-screen display) / GUI (Graphic User Interface) on receivers between $500-$1200?
I only have 2 recent Onkyo's (TX-NR828, TX-NR52) , and I was wondering if anybody does it better than them?

2)
Who has the best iPhone remote app for controlling their receiver on their iPhone / iPad?

While I always recommend a universal remote, like a Harmony remote, to my clients, some of them prefer to use their iPad's / iPhone....

I've always been partial to Onkyo in recent years, but I do like Yamaha, Denon, and Pioneer as well on the lower-end ($1200 and below)

Thanks

S

scattershot

Audioholic
1)

Admittedly, I haven't used a newer onkyo (I own an older TX-SR706), but their move away from Audyssey MultEQ in favor of a less sophisticated solution off-sets any marginal improvement in the user experience of the menu.
Onkyo dropping Audyssey MultiEQ is the reason why I have looked at other options.

In the last half decade or so I have loved Onkyo solutions between the 5xx to 8xx series (e.g. the low end) of the audio-video receiver world. They were one of the first to design a decent app and OSD / GUI (the latter of which is extremely important).
I have lost tracked out how many Onkyo receivers in that range I have setup for friends in family in the last 5 years, but I'd say it's easily in the dozens.

Ditching Audyssey though is something which is leaving a lot of hobbyists like myself scrambling to find a go-to company in the low-end to replace them with. Sounds like Denon might be it...
(I want to get some hands on time with a few Yamaha's to check them out. Sony also has a really nice OSD but I hear their amplifier portion is still lacking quality).

Thanks for info.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
First off, thank you for the review. Second, where are the test bench results?

It would be nice to have a comprehensive technical report on this component. If no testing is done, other than subjective sighted reporting, which, let's face it, isn't exactly testing anything other than your biases and prejudices, then your review is no different to any other review, on just about any other website.

Just some constructive criticism. I do think adding a technical section to the review, like in past reviews (well, a few years ago anyway), would be more valuable to the reader, at least as it pertains to amplifiers.

Just my opinion, use it or don't use it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know the review doesn't have measurements, but it is very enjoyable and informative. Great job!

I know this may sound smug, but I never thought I would even watch a review of a "$499" AVR, much less enjoy it. :D

By next year, this AVR will be about $300 on Amazon, which will make it even a lot more amazing.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I couldn't agree more. I'm not saying that Audyssey is the only game in town, but they're one of the best, and Onkyo really dropped the ball deciding to go with a less sophisticated solution. Remember, I'm a proud Onkyo owner of many years, and have also recommended them often.

Onkyo dropping Audyssey MultiEQ is the reason why I have looked at other options.

In the last half decade or so I have loved Onkyo solutions between the 5xx to 8xx series (e.g. the low end) of the audio-video receiver world. They were one of the first to design a decent app and OSD / GUI (the latter of which is extremely important).
I have lost tracked out how many Onkyo receivers in that range I have setup for friends in family in the last 5 years, but I'd say it's easily in the dozens.

Ditching Audyssey though is something which is leaving a lot of hobbyists like myself scrambling to find a go-to company in the low-end to replace them with. Sounds like Denon might be it...
(I want to get some hands on time with a few Yamaha's to check them out. Sony also has a really nice OSD but I hear their amplifier portion is still lacking quality).

Thanks for info.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I'm only speaking for myself, not audioholics, here:

I agree that measurements would be nice, and I wish I had the equipment and knowledge to do amplifier measurements. Gene does, but his time is in short supply. I know he's put the call out before, but if there are any readers who feel they could competently complete amplifier measurements for review, please contact Gene.

If I could offer, short of apparent design issues, the power portion of consumer level amps in the $500 are all sufficient for more home users. I know that may be a controversial statement, but if you look at all the measurements of $500 amp reviews, the all have ruler flat response through the audible band and can handle 6-8ohm loads at reference level in a small home environment. Until you start looking at driving 2-4 ohm loads, or cranking loud volumes in large spaces, the amplifier doesn't realy impact much, and then, you shouldn't be looking at a $500 AVR.

Once again, I agree that a certain amount of credibility is lent with measurements in a review, I just don't know, personally, after decades of reading reviews on consumer-grade AVR amps, how useful they are. As other readers have pointed out, the GUI, connection flexibility, EQ features, and other end-user experiences are more valuable to the day-to-day and I try to cover as much of that as possible.

First off, thank you for the review. Second, where are the test bench results?

It would be nice to have a comprehensive technical report on this component. If no testing is done, other than subjective sighted reporting, which, let's face it, isn't exactly testing anything other than your biases and prejudices, then your review is no different to any other review, on just about any other website.

Just some constructive criticism. I do think adding a technical section to the review, like in past reviews (well, a few years ago anyway), would be more valuable to the reader, at least as it pertains to amplifiers.

Just my opinion, use it or don't use it.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I know the review doesn't have measurements, but it is very enjoyable and informative. Great job!

I know this may sound smug, but I never thought I would even watch a review of a "$499" AVR, much less enjoy it. :D

By next year, this AVR will be about $300 on Amazon, which will make it even a lot more amazing.
Thanks for watching. I'm not sure about $300, but you never know. Refurbs are always a good deal, in my book, as long as they have a semblance of warranty and come from a reputable source. I paid less than $400 for my refurbed Onkyo 706.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
I know that may be a controversial statement, but if you look at all the measurements of $500 amp reviews, the all have ruler flat response through the audible band and can handle 6-8ohm loads at reference level in a small home environment. Until you start looking at driving 2-4 ohm loads, or cranking loud volumes in large spaces, the amplifier doesn't realy impact much, and then, you shouldn't be looking at a $500 AVR.
This post is rather refreshing. Gene may not approve, however. :D

Once again, I agree that a certain amount of credibility is lent with measurements in a review, I just don't know, personally, after decades of reading reviews on consumer-grade AVR amps, how useful they are.
Measurements into 8 ohm or 4 ohm loads can be useful. Output tests can be useful. Measuring THD+N can be useful. Comparing receivers and integrated/power amplifiers using the same test methodologies can be useful.

Or not.

IME, it's better than a subjective report of what you heard because what you heard may have nothing to do with the intrinsic qualities of the amplifier. Hard facts separated from conjecture can be useful, and Audioholics is all about the truth brother. :)

I think we can all probably agree that receivers, from the bottom of the barrel right up to the flagship models, can be expected to provide around 3-4 dB increase in power within their respective model ranges, which amounts to ... not much when all is said and done.

Still, it's nice to know what we're getting under the hood, so to speak. I want to know that my receiver at least doesn't suck, even if it's on a test bench. :D

As other readers have pointed out, the GUI, connection flexibility, EQ features, and other end-user experiences are more valuable to the day-to-day and I try to cover as much of that as possible.
Absolutely.

I think your reviews would be more complete with a set of technical measurements. If it is not within your expertise to conduct these tests, or if you lack the equipment then I understand, but perhaps in future it is something Gene may want to explore for future reviews?

Or not.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for watching. I'm not sure about $300, but you never know. Refurbs are always a good deal, in my book, as long as they have a semblance of warranty and come from a reputable source. I paid less than $400 for my refurbed Onkyo 706.
The Denon X1000 (MSRP $500) is selling brand new for $279 shipped fulfilled by Amazon.

Amazon.com: Denon AVR-X1000 5.1-Channel Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay: Electronics

The Denon 3312 was sold brand new for $600 shipped for a while fulfilled by Amazon at one point too.

Amazon & Electronic Expo are pretty good with Denon sales. :D

So it is definitely plausible for the $500 MSRP S700W to go on sale for $279 this time next year. :D

Actually I like the X1000 better than the S700W because the X1000 has Audyssey MultEQ XT, whereas the S700W only has Audyssey MultEQ.

The AVR-X1000 comes with Denon's Audyssey Silver package, which includes Audyssey MultEQ XT, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ.
Audyssey MultEQ XT calibrates the system for up to eight different seating positions, and it uses more and higher quality filters for better results, especially in the bass region (i.e. frequencies below 200Hz). As a result, bass is more impactful and is more evenly distributed throughout the room.

You can't beat that for $279! :eek:

I guess it depends on which features are more important to you.

Last edited:
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Wow. It's been a while since I've check street prices on outgoing AVRs...that's pretty impressive.

The Denon X1000 (MSRP $500) is selling brand new for $279 shipped fulfilled by Amazon.

Amazon.com: Denon AVR-X1000 5.1-Channel Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay: Electronics

The Denon 3312 was sold brand new for $600 shipped for a while fulfilled by Amazon at one point too.

Amazon & Electronic Expo are pretty good with Denon sales. :D

So it is definitely plausible for the $500 MSRP S700W to go on sale for $279 this time next year. :D

Actually I like the X1000 better than the S700W because the X1000 has Audyssey MultEQ XT, whereas the S700W only has Audyssey MultEQ.

The AVR-X1000 comes with Denon's Audyssey Silver package, which includes Audyssey MultEQ XT, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ.
Audyssey MultEQ XT calibrates the system for up to eight different seating positions, and it uses more and higher quality filters for better results, especially in the bass region (i.e. frequencies below 200Hz). As a result, bass is more impactful and is more evenly distributed throughout the room.

You can't beat that for $279! :eek:

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy said:
+1.

When did you become a moderator? :D Congrats.

K

Krush9

Audiophyte
I enjoyed the Review, It provided a helpful reference point for me, as I was shopping for an additional AV-Receiver. The reviewer referenced the Onkyo Model that I had owned previously, and stated that the Denon was comparable in Power. I had been curious about Denon, and this review helped me make the change. I ended up getting the Denon AVR-X2000 because I didn't need the wifi, and Bluetooth features this time, and so far, I am happy with the purchase. (I still own two Onkyo's TX-NR626,and TX-NR828)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I enjoyed the Review, It provided a helpful reference point for me, as I was shopping for an additional AV-Receiver. The reviewer referenced the Onkyo Model that I had owned previously, and stated that the Denon was comparable in Power. I had been curious about Denon, and this review helped me make the change. I ended up getting the Denon AVR-X2000 because I didn't need the wifi, and Bluetooth features this time, and so far, I am happy with the purchase. (I still own two Onkyo's TX-NR626,and TX-NR828)
I'm glad you found the review helpful. Keep watching and reading, we have more coming up.

G

Gabrielpp

Audiophyte
Does this receiver have HDCP 2.2 ? is that a huge draw back. I am about to purchase this for $299 at frys.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis