Denon AVR e200 optical set up

U

Ultinet1

Audiophyte
I know Denon AVR E 200 is an old piece of equipment, however, it functions well and is satisfactory for my environment. I recently purchased a new large screen tv. Since this model Denon does not have an arc hdmi input, I connected the tv from the optical out to the optical in of the Denon with a toslnk cable. Supposedly a simple process. I cannot get the audio portion to play through my Denon receiver. The connections are secure and passing the light signal. Volume on, optical out set from TV. I cant seem to configure the Denon to utilize the optical signal. I have referred to the owners manual and it is beyond me to figure out. I dont have on screen tv settings from the Denon so I have to rely on the dimly lit Denon display.
So, if any of you out there can walk me through this set up I would sincerely appreciate it.
Matt L

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know Denon AVR E 200 is an old piece of equipment, however, it functions well and is satisfactory for my environment. I recently purchased a new large screen tv. Since this model Denon does not have an arc hdmi input, I connected the tv from the optical out to the optical in of the Denon with a toslnk cable. Supposedly a simple process. I cannot get the audio portion to play through my Denon receiver. The connections are secure and passing the light signal. Volume on, optical out set from TV. I cant seem to configure the Denon to utilize the optical signal. I have referred to the owners manual and it is beyond me to figure out. I dont have on screen tv settings from the Denon so I have to rely on the dimly lit Denon display.
So, if any of you out there can walk me through this set up I would sincerely appreciate it.
Matt L
That receiver does have HDMI, just not eARC or ARC.

So, you can connect that receiver to your TV via HDMI. It is pretty tough to set up a receiver without seeing the OS menu.

So, connect your receiver to your TV and it should be simple to assign the inputs and outputs under the assignment menus.

You should connect your peripherals to the receiver via HDMI for best results, and just use the optical for TV apps. Connect everything you can to the receiver and not the TV.

U

Ultinet1

Audiophyte
That receiver does have HDMI, just not eARC or ARC.

So, you can connect that receiver to your TV via HDMI. It is pretty tough to set up a receiver without seeing the OS menu.

So, connect your receiver to your TV and it should be simple to assign the inputs and outputs under the assignment menus.

You should connect your peripherals to the receiver via HDMI for best results, and just use the optical for TV apps. Connect everything you can to the receiver and not the TV.
I'm not familiar with that model, but likely you need to adjust the input assignment in the avr for the optical input.

ps Look at page 32 in the manual https://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-e200e3_eng_cd-rom_v00.pdf
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I did resolve the problem. I could not find the optical option at all. There was no option available for optical input It did not appear from remote input or at the receiver display, it was absent. I did a reset function and unplugged the unit for a few hours. When powered up again the optical option became available and I set the parameters for the tv/audio. I am at a loss to explain why or how this happened. Thanks again.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The optical port is assigned to the TV input source by default. If it had ever been reassigned to another input source, a reset would have put it back to the TV input source and fixed the issue. Enjoy!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I did resolve the problem. I could not find the optical option at all. There was no option available for optical input It did not appear from remote input or at the receiver display, it was absent. I did a reset function and unplugged the unit for a few hours. When powered up again the optical option became available and I set the parameters for the tv/audio. I am at a loss to explain why or how this happened. Thanks again.
A soft reset can often clear up glitches like that (i.e. unplug the unit for a bit)....and usually best to start with that rather than a full reset unless you were going to go thru all the setup again anyways....glad it worked out for ya.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis