Denon AVR-4520ci has arrived and is installed.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
When level matched- the subs gain control on both are less than half.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with Alex, XT32 should be able to do an excellent job calibrating subs. As he said you could always crank them up later to suit your own taste.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This would lead me to think they are much less in capacitance than 20,000 uF. I'm sure of the DACs listed above though! They did say the would see to it that the information requested reached engineering.:rolleyes:
I removed the top of my 3805 to look and as I thought the caps are in fact 15,000X2. Too bad I can't look at those in my ex 4308 but I am sure it has bigger ones, so will the 4520 and I think you will be nicely surprised.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Probably so- you can't see them in the 4520- as they are covered by PC boards and such.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When level matched- the subs gain control on both are less than half.
AV-8801 must have much higher sub output just like your 4520, to level match I have to lower the sub gain from 11:30 for the AV-7005 to just below the 9:00 postion, that is from almost half a turn to just under a quarter turn.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Congratulations on the purchase of the AV-8801! That is nearly the same as the AVR-4520. Did you sell the AV-7005?

R

Rebecca624

Audiophyte
Congrats! It sure does look like a good one. I drooled over that model when it was first being released, but Amazon didn't have any. By the time that they did, I had talked myself into just keeping mine. I sure do envy you and your Audyssey XT32, though

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Denon AVR-4520ci has 2 ea. 22,000 uF capacitors.
Please see below!
Originally Posted by kdjut

What size block capacitors are used in the Denon AVR-4520ci? Are they 15,000 uf capacitors like used in the Denon AVR-A100? Denon won't supply this information- they say it's proprietary!

Thanks!
If you see the German review, there seems to be 44000 or 22000 times two mF worth of caps..
Quote:Damit auch kurzfristige Stromspitzen den AVR-4520 nicht aus der Ruhe bringen, kommen zwei große Haupt-ELKOS mit jeweils 22.000 Micro-Farad zum Einsatz.

TEST: Denon 9-Kanal-AV-Receiver AVR-4520 mit Denon Link HD (22.10.2012)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Denon AVR-4520ci has 2 ea. 22,000 uF capacitors.
Please see below!
Originally Posted by kdjut

What size block capacitors are used in the Denon AVR-4520ci? Are they 15,000 uf capacitors like used in the Denon AVR-A100? Denon won't supply this information- they say it's proprietary!

Thanks!
If you see the German review, there seems to be 44000 or 22000 times two mF worth of caps..
Quote:Damit auch kurzfristige Stromspitzen den AVR-4520 nicht aus der Ruhe bringen, kommen zwei große Haupt-ELKOS mit jeweils 22.000 Micro-Farad zum Einsatz.

TEST: Denon 9-Kanal-AV-Receiver AVR-4520 mit Denon Link HD (22.10.2012)
I am surprised the 4311 has only 15,000X2 but we all know sometimes it depend on wht you talk to at Tech support that could be a mixed up with the 3311, I mean just a slight posssibility. If the 4520 has 22,000X2 then it puts it in line with the Onkyo 50XXs.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I am surprised the 4311 has only 15,000X2 but we all know sometimes it depend on wht you talk to at Tech support that could be a mixed up with the 3311, I mean just a slight posssibility. If the 4520 has 22,000X2 then it puts it in line with the Onkyo 50XXs.
I referenced the email from Denon support, and their response was indeed 2 ea. 15,000 uf @ 71 V capacitors on the Denon AVR-A100. I don't suspect that it was in error. But, I don't have the AVR-A100 anymore.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AV-8801 must have much higher sub output just like your 4520, to level match I have to lower the sub gain from 11:30 for the AV-7005 to just below the 9:00 postion, that is from almost half a turn to just under a quarter turn.
Congratulations on the purchase of the AV-8801! That is nearly the same as the AVR-4520. Did you sell the AV-7005?
What's this? PENG, you just bought the AV-8801? :D

You guys realize I have not bought a single component or speaker in like 6 months or something? :eek:

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief

You guys realize I have not bought a single component or speaker in like 6 months or something? :eek:
You need to purchase a warehouse to put all your audio gear in. You have my deepest sympathy!:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Mr. Owner of the AVP, are you bragging or complaining? If I had one of those you think I would bother with the 8801, 4520 or 4000? Not a chance.

Okay, let me say right now, this is it, no more prepro upgrade, but if I changed my mind I would go back to AVR. By the way, the AV7005 and AVR-4308 sounds the same with or without Audyssey engaged except for the bass, but the 8801 seems to sound more transparent with Audyssey flat on. I need more time before I can say for sure because the difference is still subtle.

Surveyor, you have the 4520 for a while now, are you ready to conclude the effects/benefits of XT32 yet?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Mr. Owner of the AVP, are you bragging or complaining? If I had one of those you think I would bother with the 8801, 4520 or 4000? Not a chance.

Okay, let me say right now, this is it, no more prepro upgrade, but if I changed my mind I would go back to AVR. By the way, the AV7005 and AVR-4308 sounds the same with or without Audyssey engaged except for the bass, but the 8801 seems to sound more transparent with Audyssey flat on. I need more time before I can say for sure because the difference is still subtle.

Surveyor, you have the 4520 for a while now, are you ready to conclude the effects/benefits of XT32 yet?
The 4520 and the DHC-80.2 both sounded very good to me , and both had XT32. The 4520 does not have the relay switching noise when going between sources. If the 8801 sounds no- or not much better-than your 7005, can you return the 8801 within 30 days no questions asked? Of course the build quality of the 8801 is probably more substantial and flagship ownership of the 8801 weighs in the factor also.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was curious the differences between 7005 and the 8801/7701 Pre/Pro with XT32. Interesting you feedback on the differences being minimal except for the bass. I thought the 32 vs the 16 on the 7005 was supposed to make a huge impact, beyond just bass.

I am also happy to report the relay switching noise when going between sources was fixed on the DHC-80.3

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was curious the differences between 7005 and the 8801/7701 Pre/Pro with XT32. Interesting you feedback on the differences being minimal except for the bass. I thought the 32 vs the 16 on the 7005 was supposed to make a huge impact, beyond just bass.

I am also happy to report the relay switching noise when going between sources was fixed on the DHC-80.3
I think you misunderstood me. I meant the 7005 sounds the same regardless of Audyssey flat was on or not whereas the 8801 sound a little more transparent with Audyssey flat on. Whether the 8801 sound better than the 7005 is hard to tell as I have no way of doing a quick A/B comparison. Bass definitely improved base on test tones but even that I have to spend some time listening to some of my familiar CDs and BRs. Like the 7005, there has been no hums and hiss, with 6 HDMI, a few analog AV inputs, one optical and 3 power amps and one preamp connected to it. I did worry a little about it base on your experience with some hums (if I didn't mix that up with someone else).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The 4520 and the DHC-80.2 both sounded very good to me , and both had XT32. The 4520 does not have the relay switching noise when going between sources. If the 8801 sounds no- or not much better-than your 7005, can you return the 8801 within 30 days no questions asked? Of course the build quality of the 8801 is probably more substantial and flagship ownership of the 8801 weighs in the factor also.
I don't intend to nor can I return it now as the 7005 has been promised to someone already. Whether it sounds better or the same, I do like the additional features especially the 11.2 thing; and as you said the better build quality such as the gold plated connectors that I missed since I gave the 4308 away. All but the HDMI I/Os are gold plated. Can you check the HDMIs on the 4520 to see if they are gold plated? It is just an obsession, as gold plated or not makes no difference to sound quality, and 99.999% of the time I cannot see them anyway.:D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I think you misunderstood me. I meant the 7005 sounds the same regardless of Audyssey flat was on or not whereas the 8801 sound a little more transparent with Audyssey flat on. Whether the 8801 sound better than the 7005 is hard to tell as I have no way of doing a quick A/B comparison. Bass definitely improved base on test tones but even that I have to spend some time listening to some of my familiar CDs and BRs. Like the 7005, there has been no hums and hiss, with 6 HDMI, a few analog AV inputs, one optical and 3 power amps and one preamp connected to it. I did worry a little about it base on your experience with some hums (if I didn't mix that up with someone else).
Based on my experience with the AV7005 and the Integra I tend to believe that the hum was more related to my anthem amps as it was a huge issue with my Integra and what drove me to buy the Parasounds.

Now I understand your comparison, I appreciate the clarification. I finally set up my Audyssey on my Integra and did notice improvement, or at least perceived improvement, with my HT. I was seriously considering the AV8801, but got such a good deal on the Integra I couldn't say no.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis