Denon AVR-4520ci has arrived and is installed.

J

Jungle Jack

Audiophyte
Hello,
I have been using a 4520CI for the past month and it really is a special AVR. While I cannot speak for the 4520's amplifier stage as I am running it in Preamp Only Mode, the preamp stage is astonishingly good.

For the past 5 years I had been using a succession of Onkyo AVR's starting with a TX-SR805 and a few weeks later a TX-SR875 that I used for several years before replacing it with a TX-NR3007 which succumbed to HDMI Boarditis after 11 months that was in turn replaced with a TX-NR3008.

In all instances I was running outboard amplification for all channels consisting of an Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205AT, and Parasound HCA-1000a. Upon the purchase of the AVR-4520, my Aragon 8008bb became utterly transformed. This amplifier in particular requires a quality preamp stage as it has a low output impedance and I do not think AVR's being used as a preamp was very high on Mondial Designs list of priorities. This issue was mentioned when Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity reviewed the Aragon 8008x3.

When the Denon AVR-4311 was introduced, I did give serious consideration to it. However, I was not particularly fond of the 4311's industrial design and when Onkyo swapped out my jinxed 3007 with a 3008 the addition of Audyssey MultEQ XT32/SubEQ HT was enough to placate me.

When Denon introduced the AVR-4520CI I just knew I had to have it. The combination of a quite pleasing industrial design and Audyssey LFC pushed me to sell of my Onkyo TX-NR3008, Prior to the quad Onkyo era I was using a Pioneer VSX-49txi which also offered an excellent preamp stage. The intervening 5 years of Onkyo ownership had made me lose sight of just how powerful the 8008bb is as my Martin Logan Vantages were utterly transformed upon the completion of the Denon Setup Procedure.

While I remain reticent to use really any AVR to drive 5 electrostatic speakers, the writer of the Home Theater Shack 4520 Review actually is now driving his Martin Logan Prodigies with the 4520 in a Biamp Configuration. Regardless, this really is a wonderful AVR and decidedly the best AVR I have owned in the HDMI Era.
Cheers,
JJ

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Has anyone here used the 4520 with 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers? If so, does multichannel playback through 11 speakers and both subwoofers?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Has anyone here used the 4520 with 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers? If so, does multichannel playback through 11 speakers and both subwoofers?
For 11.2 Channel
In addition, the speakers that I'll be using have connections for bi-amp. So, in addition to using all seven channels of the Outlaw Audio Model 770 amp, I can use eight of the nine channels of the 4520 to drive the front wide and front high speakers. The amps can be customized as you want on the 4520.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Waf

For 11.2 Channel
In addition, the speakers that I'll be using have connections for bi-amp. So, in addition to using all seven channels of the Outlaw Audio Model 770 amp, I can use eight of the nine channels of the 4520 to drive the front wide and front high speakers. The amps can be customized as you want on the 4520.
The wife didn't like the 11.2 concept! LOL -there were way too many speakers and wires. I also tested 11.2 out and there was not much if any gain, IMHO!:confused:

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I am using the AVR-4520ci amps, and FYI they are very good! I took it out of pre-amp mode in order to test the sound quality of the AVR's amps.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Denon corporation has really outdone themselves in the making of the Denon AVR-4520ci. They, Denon should be extremely proud! Chotomatagodasi!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
anybody know where one can order an HDMI board for the 4520? (that's what's wrong with my friend's unit)
tech guy didn't even open the unit ... read the symptoms, that's what he concluded.

denon PH, don't have the part in stock and is moving as fast as molasses.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
anybody know where one can order an HDMI board for the 4520? (that's what's wrong with my friend's unit)
tech guy didn't even open the unit ... read the symptoms, that's what he concluded.

I'll make some calls in the morning to see. It's 03:27 in the morning here in Texas!

surveyor

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I am using the AVR-4520ci amps, and FYI they are very good! I took it out of pre-amp mode in order to test the sound quality of the AVR's amps.
I will be returning it to the pre-amp mode in time, because the Outlaw Model 770 amp is clearly superior!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will be returning it to the pre-amp mode in time, because the Outlaw Model 770 amp is clearly superior!!
Just a friendly reminder, beware of Placebo.. Ask your wife to listen to it before you put the 770 back, tell her the 4520 actually sounds better (sorry but just a white lie) to you but ask her to verify that for you when the 770 is back and let us know what she thinks. Make sure you level match to around 75 to 80 dB or so from listening position just to make sure the 770 does not win just by brute force.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Just a friendly reminder, beware of Placebo.. Ask your wife to listen to it before you put the 770 back, tell her the 4520 actually sounds better (sorry but just a white lie) to you but ask her to verify that for you when the 770 is back and let us know what she thinks. Make sure you level match to around 75 to 80 dB or so from listening position just to make sure the 770 does not win just by brute force.
The Denon sounds very good at lower listening levels- in fact just a good- but definitely not better!
My speakers are all large- as Audyssey 32 verifies. That's where the Denon AVR-4520 is limited- at higher listening levels- it compresses! It has roughly 30,000 uF capacitance total for seven channels verses 158,200 total capacitance in the Outlaw Model 770. Not to mention the 2 each large torroidal transformers in the Outlaw versus 1 L core in the Denon. This isn't a sugar pill fixation believe me.
;)
ie the OutlawFeatures

Your new Outlaw Audio Multi-Channel Amplifier is a state of the art, high performance, audio component. It is built utilizing totally complementary circuitry from input to output. The high current power supply is driven by a custom-designed, dual torrodial transformers with multiple windings for each channel. Each output module has 10 discrete output devices, 22,600 uF total filter capacitance and employs an advanced Opto-coupled protection circuit. Heat management is provided not by noisy fans, but by custom-designed heatsinks for each channel.

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief

Denon USA Phone Number : 201-762-6391 carries the parts you need. They require that you supply them with the defective board first.

Denon Germany Phone Number: + 490-2131-1126-24 might be faster!

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Denon USA Phone Number : 201-762-6500 carries the parts you need. They require that you supply them with the defective board first.

Denon Germany Phone Number: + 490-2131-1126-24 might be faster!
thanks very much for the lead!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Denon sounds very good at lower listening levels- in fact just a good- but definitely not better!
My speakers are all large- as Audyssey 32 verifies. That's where the Denon AVR-4520 is limited- at higher listening levels- it compresses! It has roughly 30,000 uF capacitance total for seven channels verses 158,200 total capacitance in the Outlaw Model 770. Not to mention the 2 each large torroidal transformers in the Outlaw versus 1 L core in the Denon. This isn't a sugar pill fixation believe me.

For high volume 7 channel especially 7 ch Stereo mode I expect there will be no contest. That's why we add external amps. At moderate to moderate high volume in a medium size room listening to 2 channel stereo would be a different story. In those 2 ch scenarios, even my old Denon 3805 and 4308 had no trouble matching any of my power amps that range from 200/350 to 300/500WPC and that's not just going by ears but also voltage, current and SPL measurements.

By the way, did you find out from Denon exactly which DAC they have in the 4520. I know they are supposedly Burr Brown but which model, and are they 32 bit like the AV8801?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
For high volume 7 channel especially 7 ch Stereo mode I expect there will be no contest. That's why we add external amps. At moderate to moderate high volume in a medium size room listening to 2 channel stereo would be a different story. In those 2 ch scenarios, even my old Denon 3805 and 4308 had no trouble matching any of my power amps that range from 200/350 to 300/500WPC and that's not just going by ears but also voltage, current and SPL measurements.

By the way, did you find out from Denon exactly which DAC they have in the 4520. I know they are supposedly Burr Brown but which model, and are they 32 bit like the AV8801?
I never asked Denon. I will probably purchase the service manual for the AVR-4520ci, even though I have the factory 3 year warranty. If -or when I do- I'll post it!
Denon makes some real fine sounding amps- no doubt. Personally, I like them better than my Yamaha AVR's that I've had- lets don't go there as thats just my opinion!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I never asked Denon. I will probably purchase the service manual for the AVR-4520ci, even though I have the factory 3 year warranty. If -or when I do- I'll post it!
Denon makes some real fine sounding amps- no doubt. Personally, I like them better than my Yamaha AVR's that I've had- lets don't go there as thats just my opinion!
Thanks, I did follow your link and see that they have the 32 bit DACs but no where can I confirm which BB model. I am hoping they have at least the 1796, that is the same as those in my 3910. I am sure the top 1792 will only be found in ADTG's AVP processor or the 5308 as well. It is not that I believe they sound better but their specs are better. Engineers are naturally big on specs you know.:D

I will be pulling the trigger on the 8801 shortly, a totally irrational decision but..... Oh, I prefer Denon over Yamaha too, but mainly because of Audyssey.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, I did follow your link and see that they have the 32 bit DACs but no where can I confirm which BB model. I am hoping they have at least the 1796, that is the same as those in my 3910. I am sure the top 1792 will only be found in ADTG's AVP processor or the 5308 as well. It is not that I believe they sound better but their specs are better. Engineers are naturally big on specs you know.:D

I will be pulling the trigger on the 8801 shortly, a totally irrational decision but..... Oh, I prefer Denon over Yamaha too, but mainly because of Audyssey.
The 8801 is possibly the best out there- congratulations! I could pull the cover on the 4520 to find out?? I just don't want to jeopardize my warranty!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The wife didn't like the 11.2 concept! LOL -there were way too many speakers and wires. I also tested 11.2 out and there was not much if any gain, IMHO!:confused:
Can't blame your wife. :D

I don't see any benefits beyond 5 speakers unless my room were > 40' long. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Engineers are naturally big on specs you know.:D
My initial major was Engineering, so that explains it. :D

And just talking strictly numbers, the AVR that surprises me is the Yamaha RX-A1020 with the crosstalk of -103dB L-R. How the heck can a $1100 AVR have a crosstalk that high?

The pre-pro that surprised me is the Outlaw 975. How the heck can a $500 pre-pro have a crosstalk of -92dB & SNR of -122dB?

I am sure the top 1792 will only be found in ADTG's AVP processor or the 5308 as well.
The 1792 is also found in my Denon DVD-3800BDCI. :cool:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis