Denon AVR-1905 protection circuit

P

pedro

Audiophyte
Hi,

I was, until yesterday, the proud owner of a brand new surround sound system composed by a Denon AVR-1905 and a set of RF-25, RS-25 and RC-25 speakers from Klipsch. Yesterday, when watching a concert DVD, suddenly the Denon stopped working and the protection circuit kicked in, and would shut down the receiver if I tried to turn it on again. I checked the manual, and the symptoms said the cause was probably a problem in one connection to one of the speakers. So I checked.

Apparently, one of the wires for the front-right speaker had gotten loose, so I connected it back again, and turned on the Denon... nothing, same problem. I disconnected everything, turned it on without connections, and the same. Reconnected everything back, no luck. Then I did the processor initialization procedure, and still the same!! Nevertheless, I managed to start it by doing the following: Initialize processor, and within the 3 or 4 seconds before it shuts down, go in the setup menu down a few options. Like this, it would stay on. So, I checked if the speakers were working, and noticed the right-front would not play, just produce a hum. I said "oh no, my expensive speaker, ruined!"... I tried to switch the speakers, and now the left was humming... "ah, it's NOT the speaker, could it be the cable?" So, I switched the cables, but the same speaker was humming, so, it's the right-front speaker channel which is not working.

Now, I am going to call the authorized dealer and try to get it fixed, but I would like to know if this problem could be covered by warranty, or not? I mean, is it normal that a wire coming loose from the speaker would burn somehting in the receiver? Isn't the protective circuit there to prevent that? And can they blame it on me, or should the warranty cover it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Pedro

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I would say that Denon will cover it under warranty. Sometimes stuff just happens for reasons that can't be explained. The protection circuit should not have allowed the receiver to self destruct....if that's what happened. I've had good results with Denon warranty service in the past and I'm sure you'll get fixed up right too.

Mort

W

waltergonzalez

Audiophyte
avr-1905

Hey pedro I'm having the same problem can you please tell me how can I initialize the microprocessor on this unit maybe it would work for me.

W

waltergonzalez

Audiophyte
avr-1905

Can any one help me to reset or initialize the microprocessor on my Denon avr-1905 it went into surge protection mode and I guess its stuck there can't get it to turn on again unless the microprocessor is reseted.
thanks ahead for any help.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Not trying to sound like a smartass, but the initialization instructions are in your manual. I tried helping someone out before by giving the instructions on how to do it out of the manual from my 3802, but they are not all the same. If you don't have your manual, you can download a copy in pdf form from Denon's website.

Good luck.

W

waltergonzalez

Audiophyte
avr-1905

I looked in the manual for instructions on how to initialize the microprocessor I did exactly what the manual said on how to reset the microprocessor but no luck my receiver still not working any other suggestions?

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Walter, looks like you're going to need to take your Denon in for repair. The only other thing you could try is to hook it up to a different set of speakers, and see if it does the same thing there. If it does, it needs to be fixed. If it doesn't shut down when connected to a different set of speakers, they may be the cause. Sometimes a blown driver can cause a short that causes the unit to shut down. Play some music (low vol) and put your ear up to each driver in each speaker cabinet to ensure all drivers are functioning.

W

waltergonzalez

Audiophyte
avr-1905

Hey thanks a million for your input I really appreciate all your help unfortunately my receiver still does not work I hooked up the speakers to my old yamaha receiver I believe is the rv-620 and they work perfect by the way this unit is great I have it over two years and it has never given me any problems too bad it does not have up conversion and it only has 40 mhz of bandwidth any ways I guess I will have to have my Denon repaired and spend more $$$.
Once again thank you so much for your time and input.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If you criss crossed your speaker wires, you most likely blew an amp. Denon will fix it. Send it in to the Isthaca, Ill plant. Call them for a SRA #. They take their good old time but they'll fix it.

W

waltergonzalez

Audiophyte
avr-1905

I do not really know what happened it worked fine for a while and one day it just stopped working for no apparent reason thanks for for input I really appreciate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis