Denon Announces Firmware & Hardware Upgrade for AVR-5308CI / AVP-A1HDCI

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Denon Electronics, a premier manufacturer of high-quality home entertainment components, will offer owners of its flagship AVR-5308CI A/V Receiver and AVP-A1HDCI A/V Home Theater/MultiMedia Preamplifier the opportunity to receive a major hardware and firmware upgrade that will provide full 3D pass-through capability, as well as Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Audyssey DSX and Dolby PLIIz. This is the 4th significant upgrade that Denon has offered to owners of its high-end products, underscoring the company’s commitment to provide its customers with the very latest, most up-to-date features and capabilities. The upgrade is scheduled for October; for more details on the upgrade, Denon owners may visit the company’s website (usa.denon.com/upgrades) and sign up to receive informational email updates.

Discuss "Denon Announces Firmware & Hardware Upgrade for AVR-5308CI / AVP-A1HDCI" here. Read the article.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
what's REALLY exciting about this is the fact that this shows denon can update a current unit to xt32 by firmware updates. i was under the impression that this couldn't be done (i though i read that in the mile long audyssey thread on another forum). hmmm are you listening marantz?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So is this just a firmware update via internet or an actual hardware update where we have to ship to Denon?

I feel reluctant shipping my 60+ lbs 5308 & AVP-A1 back to Denon.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon has been keeping a tight lip on this. I believe its a hardware/firmware update but when I can confirm, I will update here.

I really hope they fix the SACD bass issue I discovered on the AVP when they did the last round of firmware updates. Haven't listened to SACD in my primary reference system now for like 6 months :(

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Denon has been keeping a tight lip on this. I believe its a hardware/firmware update but when I can confirm, I will update here.
Denon's website seems to indicate it is hardware and firmware:

http://avrupgrades.denon.com/

Denon Upgrade Page said:
How do you get this upgrade?
The upgrade will be done via both hardware and firmware, and will be done at our many Denon Factory Service Centers around the country.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since I have no issues with SACD/bass and couldn't care less for 3D video or Audyssey, I guess I will pass on sending my AVR5308 & AVP-A1 back to Denon so that UPS or FedEx gets a chance to throw them around in their trucks and then drop them a few times on the floor.

I'm probably the only one who feels this way.:D

Frans

Frans

Junior Audioholic
Is it too much to ask to hope for such an update for the SR7005 / AV7005 from Marantz? That would be sweet!

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
This is totally awesome and I don't even own any Denon gear.

This is the commitment to taking care of customers in the long term that I wish more manufacturers would have.

And I definitely believe these units, considering their ages, would need to be shipped back to Denon. At least the upgrade costs should be very reasonable relative to buying a completely new high end pre/pro.

M

mikoz

Audiophyte
Hi,

I sent mine in for upgarding. They said that there "was a problem" and it did not work. That's all they would say. And, they are waiting for Denon to reply. Lovely.

-mike

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
What is the "All for $999.99" I must be reading something incorrectly so this will cost more than $1000 buckaroos once you factor in shipping and insurance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say screw Denon. :eek::D

I'll keep both my AVR-5308CI & AVP-A1HDCI just the way they are.:D

N

NCoastTweaker

Audiophyte
Hi,

I sent mine in for upgarding. The they said that there "was a problem" and it did not work. That's all they would say. And, they are waiting for Denon to reply. Lovely.

-mike
I just got the same call from the tech doing my upgrade. :eek:

I had paid him in advance so he could order the kit and have it available when I brought in the reciever. He showed me the kit. Its basically a daughter board and three firmware upgrades on a CD/DVD. They ship it in a full sized 5308 container. (the kit is in a small box taped inside.)

It looks like you just unbolt the lid, find the right socket, and plug the damn thing in. :D The kit comes with an additional brace for the AVP-A1HDCI(A)
but its not required for the 5308 reciever.

It appeared to be a fairly routine install on the surface... but like everything else with computerized devices... theres always that chance that the upgrade will not take hold properly.. (go figure!)

I have made use of practically every function.. (except pandora and the hidden CI stuff) and I really do love this reciever. I just wanted to add 3D cause I just got HDMI 1.4a functions on some computer video cards that I wanted to try out.. (I was using the denon as a kvm switch for my computers and really wanted to pass thru 3D)

I was also looking forward to the improved audessy XT stuff too...
I just hope it didn't BRICK my reciever!

Last edited:
N

NCoastTweaker

Audiophyte
Upgrade blues...

Hi,

I sent mine in for upgarding. They said that there "was a problem" and it did not work. That's all they would say. And, they are waiting for Denon to reply. Lovely.

-mike
Ask them to have Denon check the serial number of the unit to see when / where it was manufactured... I had a strange firmware version on my stock denon receiver when I first got it.. was told that it was a european model...

I went ahead and flashed the firmware and it took... its been working fine ever since.. I even did a few more upgrades... not sure if this 'anomaly' has any bearing on the problem... but I thought I'd offer up the info anyway..

N

NCoastTweaker

Audiophyte
Status UPDATE on upgrade!

Ask them to have Denon check the serial number of the unit to see when / where it was manufactured... I had a strange firmware version on my stock denon receiver when I first got it.. was told that it was a european model...

I went ahead and flashed the firmware and it took... its been working fine ever since.. I even did a few more upgrades... not sure if this 'anomaly' has any bearing on the problem... but I thought I'd offer up the info anyway..
Just got another call from the shop yesterday. Despite being on the phone with the Denon "brain trust" and performing the firmware flash procedure several times just to be sure it took, the unit still would not pass video/audio thru the hdmi ports. He was told the video board may have to be replaced...
(and thats an additional $1000)

I asked him if he tried every HDMI input port, and oddly enough he did not... When he tried them all out, he discovered that the only the 1st three HDMI inputs were having the trouble... the next three HDMI ports do pass the signals... (YAY!)

After another call to the Denon Brain trust, he was told that there are two chps on the video board that each control Three of the HDMI INPUTs.. I have a pic, but the site does not allow me to put it up... (I only have 3 posts and you must have 5)

So who came up with the 5 post minimum... kinda restrictive ... if I join the forum, I should be able to post pics right
from the gitgo... IMHO) I don't appreciate this restriction AT ALL!

oh well, looks like superfluous posting rules will deprive you of this pic... a pity ...
(time to find an alternate forum to post it on... sorry)

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So who came up with the 5 post minimum... kinda restrictive ... if I join the forum, I should be able to post pics right
from the gitgo... IMHO) I don't appreciate this restriction AT ALL!
we all went through the same thing as you, not really a big deal. You would be surprised how fast you can burn 5 post.

N

NCoastTweaker

Audiophyte
min of 5 posts...

yeah, but now I'm forced to post ANYTHING on here just to get to the 5 post min... just so I can post pics..
(oops... doing it right now) ;)

So long as thats not a big deal to moderators, then I'm fine with it too... just causes extra clutter on the site..

"key in HTTP:--imageshack.us-photo-my-images-844-denonvideoboard.jpg"

be sure to replace the - (the dash character) in the above link with a / char... be sure to omit the quotes..

just copy the above link into your browser and then you can see the pic... (what a pain in the A$$)

Last edited:
M

MEGALADON

Enthusiast

I really hope they fix the SACD bass issue I discovered on the AVP when they did the last round of firmware updates. Haven't listened to SACD in my primary reference system now for like 6 months :(

FYI Gene. Since my last firware upgrade, The Internet Radio stations intermittently do not match the station on the menu. (example: Menu bar says Live Ireland 1 but it tunes to other station.) Wierd!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis