Denon 5803A vs. Bryston 3BST+Marantz SR8000

L

Larry

Audiophyte
great site - first post for me so excuse the length but I have worked myself into a stupor trying to figure out a best value play as I'm remodeling my home and my AV system for a relatively small room (14 x 16) with a 10 foot ceiling and windows (not a dedicated HT room).

My current set up;
Misubishi 36" tube tv (top of the line in 1996 - to be upgraded soon),
Marantz SR 8000 AV Receiver
Acoustic Energy AE3 speakers
Velodyne DD-10 subwoofer
ADS rear surround and center channel speakers
Arcam CD Player (HDCD capable)
Marantz CD Recorder
Pioneer DV-444 DVD (with progressive scan)
Thorens turntable

I also just purchased a set of paradigm SA-35 in wall speakers for front and surround and will most likely pick up the compatable Paradigm center channel speaker. I have thoroughly insulated the walls for the in wall speaker system installation and I think they are as acoustically dead as possible. Though I love my AE3's I think the Paradigm SA-35's will be fine (3 driver 2-1/2 way, tweeter, 8" midrange, 8" bass) for a Denon 5803A and / or my Marantz AVR. I am very intrigued by the 5803A and have been reading the posts and reviews. I have listened to it (sounds awsome), love the idea of having everything in one box, am extremely close to buying one and even have what seem to be great prices ($3,500 - 3,600) from two retailers.

The problem is I still have lust in my heart for a Bryston amplifier and the 20 year warranty speaks volumes to me about reliability. I think my AE3's bi-wired would sound awsome with it , and I do not want to spend more $$$$ 5-6 years down the road if microprocessors crap out.

So my alternate plan is to keep my current set up and improve the Audio section significantly while maintaining my current Marantz / Paradigm AV processing section. For less money than I would pay for the Denon 5803A I could purchase a 3B SST, run it through my Marantz multi out mode to an Acurus Preamp I have, to the Bryston, to the Velodyne S/W with LFE inputs and bi-wired to my Acoustic Energy AE3's. I could switch back to the Marantz / Paradigm for watching DVD / Satellite - and use the same Marantz RC2000 MkII remote that I love for everything. When I boil it down the trade seems to be everything in one box with great (awsome) audio and Awsome AV features vs. a robust amplifier with probably better sound for audio and a decent AV receiver with an easy to use remote and two more boxes, and speakers.

again, so sorry about the long post - any guidance out there?
Thanks !!!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
surveyor

I personnaly would go with the Denon 5803A. It has pre-amp outs for later amp options. The existing very good Marantz would make a great family member or close friend a nice gift. It would definately sell on EBAY. I think the Denon linked with a good SACD player would provide outstanding audio.
I personally have my home theatre seperate from my designated audio gear. It's gotten way too costly over the years. The wife acceptance factor diminishes with all the gear scattered everywhere.! :confused:

Cheers,

Surveyor

L

Larry

Audiophyte
Ehanks Surveyor - it does seem like the more elegant solution. what are your thoughts on denon reliability?

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
While I don't have a Denon receiver, my brother does and has for about four years with no problem. I don't off hand know the model number however. I have had two Denon DVD players. I upgraded because I needed progressive scan and wanted to do SACD and DVD-A. They have both been fine; one for two years, the other is three months old. My only Denon complaint is that the manuals seem translated from original Japanese and poorly translated at that. I believe this is common to many Japanese makes. For units that require big time user interface like a pre/pro or DVD this is a problem in that the learning curve is longer and more frustrating. They perform well based on my brothers unit and what I have heard.

I have also heard that Denon and Marantz are owned by the same parent company for what it is worth.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Surveyor

Larry, I have not heard of any reliability problems with Denon recievers! My friends son has used a Denon 3802 now for a couple of years without problem.
I have a Yamaha reciever, so I can't specifically answer your question. I have heard a lot of good comments about Denon over the years. :cool:

Cheers,

kelly

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis