Denon 4308 vs NAD T763 , newb impressions

P

Pell

Enthusiast
I recently upgraded from an NAD T-763 to a Denon 4308 . I decided on the Denon over the Onkyo after debating like many others.

THe reason I upgraded was for the HDMI and new audio format decoding. I ended up with the 4308 as my decision which I can't help but regret.

I only truly care about audio performance, I do not plan on using it as an upscaler so the video features don't mean much to me. I am by no means an expert but I am halfway knowledgeable about audio so I felt I had done sufficient research and landed on the one (on paper) that would suit my needs.

After I bought it I did further research comparing Denon to Denon I also am not sure if the 4308 sounds better than the 3808 and only has useless (to me) feature upgrades. This I can not say forsure but I would be curious as to your thoughts.

The NAD seems to sound a lot better than the Denon. I mainly use the receiver for movies and the centre channel has always sounded weak no matter what system. Never any real bass in the voice track.

I used the Audessy auto setup thing with the Denon, my only confusion is why it sets the crossover rates for the center and front speakers to 40hz when they arent big speakers, and according to their specs cant even play sounds below 40hz, seems like a stupid place to crossover. They are also set to small. The LFE crossover is set to 80, and my subs physical crossover i maxed out to let the receiver control the cut off point.

I use Paradigm Studio 40 V4's and a Paradigm Centre (last years model in the studio series, the model # eludes me currently). The rears aren't the problem in this post.

I have buyers remorse due the sheer cost on 'upgrading' to something that I am either not setting up properly, or simply isn't as good as it is hyped to be. (i.e. Wireless networking doesnt work at all in our condo even on open networks).

I am just curious as to your thoughts, especially the NAD to Denon 'upgrade' . I don't really know what to expect and the store obviously always sounds good no matter what it is lol. Perhaps it is all in my head and i am expecting to much due to the pricetag. Thoughts?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like you have a bit of tweeking to do yet. Don't be affraid to manually adjust the levels. To me the auto settings are merely a staring point. I've seen the innards of the 4308, and it certainly looks to be a robust receiver. It is a pricey receiver though.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
You could return it and get, say, the 2808 and a nice multi channel amp for the price of the 4308.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis